Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTwo flavors of E

JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
edited December 2012 in Finished Work #1
I wanted to do a render of this beauty from the front, so here are two versions.

Both renders are straight out of 3dsmax. NO post work at all (except for the text credits).

- One is lit by an HDRI with reflections using Final Gather and an omni with soft shadows.

- The other is lit only by two omni lights. One with ambient occlusion attached via projection, and the second is a standard omni with soft shadows.

Which one do you like better and why? Can you guess which one is which?

JMoney
98729.jpg
98730.jpg
Post edited by JMoney on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • commandersozocommandersozo492 Posts: 628Member
    i second chris 2005.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    tremendous, looks just like a screencap from first contact
  • largolargo331 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work, it is really something that just by a change in the lighting the same shot model can look out of First Contact in one image, and Nemesis in the other
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I actually like the first one more....
    Feels more true to the movies.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
  • Ian KeldonIan Keldon0 Posts: 0Member
    I can't tell any difference...:confused:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Look at the way the engineering hull is lit. One seems lit more from the left, the other more from the right. With one, you see the Aztec pattern very clear and pominent, with the other one it's more faint.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    I like the second. Here's a thought. Do the First Contact firsion with the first look, and keep Nemesis with the second, so as to show two different ships not only by design but by coloration and texture.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    You could honestly plop these renders over the Enterprise E in First Contact and have a convincing shot.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    This another great looking pic.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Both look very cool, and like largo said, the one with the light coming from the left of the scene look straight out of First Contact, while the other one (the best IMO), looks right out of Nemesis.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • Ian KeldonIan Keldon0 Posts: 0Member
    Aresius wrote: »
    Look at the way the engineering hull is lit. One seems lit more from the left, the other more from the right. With one, you see the Aztec pattern very clear and pominent, with the other one it's more faint.

Must be the limitations of my monitor then...I still can't see a difference.