Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSOVEREIGN On Ice

DevilmanDevilman0 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2012 in Finished Work #1
...shoulda learnt from VOYAGER; Slipstream drives can only end BADLY! :devil:
98530.jpg
Post edited by Devilman on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It reminds me more of the TNG episode with the phasing cloaking device. ;) (The Pegasus)
  • Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    The starship crashes are neat concept pictures, but what bugs me is no one models the damage to the ship or landscape. Like evil said, looks more like they 'Phased' into an asteroid than ran head on into it.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    ^

I agree with Halo Buff... this is a great image and I like the concept behind it, but I would have bent or broken the nacelles or pylons, and crumpled the area of the saucer where it has impacted with the glacier. I can buy the nacelles being "frozen" in place via ice buildup over time, but when the ship first crashes, there would either be significant sagging, or the pylons/nacelles might even break off. Just my two cents.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    I also must agree.

I mean ina crash like we've seen Voyager suffer, both nacelles fell off. Judging by the angle, the ship also slid a while over the surface, so first off, it would be more tilted, secondly atleast the lower nacelle would be missing. BEyond that, you'd find far more debris lying around...
  • DevilmanDevilman0 Posts: 0Member
    Also agree, some ship damage woulda rocked. :)

But I DID account for scene damage - I cut a swathe where the ship would have gouged the ground, put bits where snow would have accumilated, and rammed the front of the ship into the ledge face. (and buried the nacelle)

Perhaps when my beast gets more memory I may try to re-work the image with damage and debris (but the fact it was rendered in VUE D'ESPRIT 4.1) made it very hard to work with.. :devil:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Let me try to give you an account of how I'd realise such a crashlanding...
    Let's assume the ship was already plummeting down to the surface tilted by 90A° due to failure of some stabilisors, and that the entire surface was that rocky.

The first thing (likely a mountain peak) that hits the ship will hit it at the starboard saucer, bumping the ship to skid across at something of a 20-30A° angle.
    Next time it hits anything from the surface, the starboard nacelles end will be struck, either causing the nacelle to break or fall off completely. In any case, this would topple the ship back over to perhaps a 5- (-5)A° angle.
    That would already pretty much fit the current orientation in the image.

So, if it hits that glacial face at that point, the impacts kinetic energy would force a bit more than half the saucer into the glacier (look at the Bassen Rift Collision that was in space with a comparatively low speed, yet it caused the entire forward area to be squashed), it would also dislodge the port nacelle, causing it to ram into the back of the saucer and impale it or slide downwards across the surface until it lands on the glacier top (if the nacelles point of gravity were behind the end of the glacier, it would tip over and slide down, skraping the saucers surface). The sliding on the rocky ice would also probably tear the starboard nacelle pylon to shreds or even partially tear it off the ships side.

If the ship will hit another mountain peak, it will cause the ship to roll over like a wheel. Due to the mass and size of the Sovereign it would only do that once anyway, so it would have to smash into the glacier then. With such a sudden stop, the innertial forces would be so tremendous, it would cause the nacelle(s) to burst off their pylons and crash into anything that's below them. The saucer would be buried about as deep as it is now, but the aftmost sections of the engineering section would probably show severe damage due to the shuttles being hurled around like mad and denting or probably even exploding on the hulls. keep in mind that the shuttles also have matter/antimatter pods, and while the warp-drive may be offline, all antimatter pods may be ejected and thus not explode when the total powerfailure causes all containment fields to collapse, the shuttles antimatter pods would still be there and fuelled. Seeing that the escape pods are still there, and since all shuttle-bay doors are also closed (who would close them if the ship were abandoned anyway?), it's safe to assume that no escape attempts of the crew have been made and thus, all shuttles and other embarked crafts are still there.
    Boy, oh boy, the crew loss there......

Sorry to have studied physics and thus have a pretty well image of how such a crash would happen.
    *flies away*
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, that would make an awesome animation. :D
  • DevilmanDevilman0 Posts: 0Member
    ..and a Starship Class hasn't truly been initiated if it hasnt featured in at least ONE crash scene or animation! :devil: