Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEscape

overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2012 in Finished Work #1
Based on a scene from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; plus a little artistic freedom!

The Millenium Falcon and Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing are escaping from the Rebel base on Hoth during an attack by Imperial Forces.

COMPOSITION: Terrain composed, textured and rendered in Bryce 7.1 Pro. My work. Remaining scene setup and render in Lightwave with final composition (including all FX) in Photoshop.

MESHES: Millenium Falcon by Andy Crook (with texture modifications by me) & X-Wing Fighter by Don Showalter.

My artworks are not endorsed, sponsored, or affiliated with Disney, Lucasfilm Ltd. or the "Star Wars" franchise. The Star Wars trademarks, logos, and related names are owned by Disney & Lucasfilm Ltd., and are used under "fair use" guidelines.

escape_sfm.jpg
98436.jpg
Post edited by overseerfx on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, definitely artistic freedom as they took off at different times. ;) Luke watched the Falcon take off before getting into his X-Wing. As a kid, I never realized why he didn't flag them down and ask for a ride. (but I understand now ;))

Absolutely awesome image. I love everything about it. TESB is my favorite Star Wars movie and it's great to see a nice homage to it.
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Beautiful! To quote evil_genius_180, I love everything about it as well!

My only crit is that it's not 1920x1080 ;)

JMoney
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, definitely artistic freedom as they took off at different times. ;) Luke watched the Falcon take off before getting into his X-Wing. As a kid, I never realized why he didn't flag them down and ask for a ride. (but I understand now ;))

Absolutely awesome image. I love everything about it. TESB is my favorite Star Wars movie and it's great to see a nice homage to it.

Thank you! Yeah, I thought about that right from the start. I had planned to only add the Falcon, but in the end it felt right to have something else. TESB is also my favored movie, but I figured even die hard fans won't mind the little twist! ;)
    JMoney wrote: »
    Beautiful! To quote evil_genius_180, I love everything about it as well!

My only crit is that it's not 1920x1080 ;)

JMoney

Thank you! And... would this help you? :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Man… I've been clicking on some threads based on the look of the thumbnail, and as it turns out most of them were created by you. Keep up the good work! :)

It's always nice to see more Star Wars pieces here, too…
    ManA… I've been clicking on some threads based on the look of the thumbnail, and as it turns out most of them were created by you. Keep up the good work! :)

It's always nice to see more Star Wars pieces here, tooA…

Gracias! I will certainly try my best. :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, damn, I just took another look at the image and I noticed something that I didn't see before… worthy of a little criticism :shiner:

I see you put one of the moons of Hoth there in the sky… but it's darker than the sky itself. That can not happen, as the atmosphere is closer than the moon and you'd see the blue of the sky only. Think of when you see the Moon in daylight —you only see the bright part of it and not a dark region where the unlit part would be ;)

It's a minor detail, but I've seen so many people make the mistake… As an astrophysicist, I cringe a bit every time XD

But still, an awesome picture nevertheless! :thumb:
    Ah, damn, I just took another look at the image and I noticed something that I didn't see beforeA… worthy of a little criticism :shiner:

I see you put one of the moons of Hoth there in the skyA… but it's darker than the sky itself. That can not happen, as the atmosphere is closer than the moon and you'd see the blue of the sky only. Think of when you see the Moon in daylight A—you only see the bright part of it and not a dark region where the unlit part would be ;)

It's a minor detail, but I've seen so many people make the mistakeA… As an astrophysicist, I cringe a bit every time XD

But still, an awesome picture nevertheless! :thumb:

You're quite right and in an astronomical/astrophysical sense it is wrong, however, I set the scene up so that the light would come from the top right, indicated by a darker area towards the bottom of the picture and I figured it would work reasonably well.

I'm generally trying to take care as much as possible that I get astronomical objects and their interaction as accurate as possible, although sometimes the little sci-fi kid in me wins just for the purpose of being pleasing visually. Thanks though! :)