Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Thansk! It's really hard to come up with something that's not influenced on something I've seen before (and growing up with Star Trek, it feels really hard to get out of the Federation's shadow) but I think I might have the start of something here.
    Wow, I can't believe how long it's been... while my head has been in the stars, what I've seen hasn't really translated into any interesting art. Outside of these three images, that is...

minbarirevisited.jpg
    Redesigning the Minbar ships from Babylon 5... never liked the look of the things, they always seemed too skinny, too top heavy... they look like fish, which is fine, but I wanted to make them look a little sleeker, a little tougher... it's still rough, but I was thinking they might turn into something like the ships from "Jupiter Ascending," the sort of advanced, artistic design you get after 1000 years of spacefaring.

proteuswithsails.jpg
    Toying around wit the giant Proteus ship from the Lost In Space movie, which I recently found a cheap blu-ray copy of.

megashipship.jpg
    Expanding the Proteus-as-sailing-ship idea, trying to come up with something that would be identifiable as a sailing ship, but boiled down to clean, sweeping curves.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    Welcome back! these are awesome, Like your B5 designs, and your ideas for the Proteus I like too
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Thanks, it's good to be back! The Proteus feels unfinished, I'm sure I'll find some interesting parts in the future that might work on it.
    Scanner's cracked and broken, finally got a new one (though I didn't realize it would be so small). Not too much new stuff, but this little update of The Last Straighter was something that had been in my head for a while. I did another one where it's the old base but on a realistic mountain, referenced from "Planet Earth," but it didn't come out that hot.
    tumblr_npnffcBNhF1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg
    All right, well, that Quitely base is fine if you like Quietly style, but I kept thinking I could do better, and another interesting mountain was my random computer background of the day. After staring at this thing for hours, I had an idea of how to integrate a spaceport into it. I think the right hand side should be a little longer, but other than that, I'm happy with it.
    tumblr_nppuy9TuSQ1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Enjoy!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's really cool. It's also quite an engineering feat to build something that big and flat around a mountain like that. :)
    Exactly, we couldn't do it, but an advanced society could... and it's not just around the mountain, I figure it goes right through.
    I was wondering if it went through it. Cool. Yeah, definitely way beyond our capabilities at this point in time.
    Wow, long time no post. But darned if these aren't stylistically similar to my last post: sleek shapes in nature. These were sockingly relaxing to draw.

tumblr_ny24f33QIY1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg
    tumblr_ny24f33QIY1u9hwe3o2_540.jpg

There are a few more little things in my clipboard but I don't know if they're post-worthy.
    That's some really cool stuff. :)
    Hey Blue! Long time no see your stuff, But the wait was worth it!
    Hey dude! I also started developing a new spaceship (well, an old idea that I rekindled), but I need to kitbash some parts on it to make my inspiration a little less obvious. I'll share that once it's more presentable.
    cool! can't wait.
    A little update.... I've done quite a lot of pen and ink doodles recently, but no ships. But this I thought you might like: me playing around with designs for super-thin smartphones.
    tumblr_nz0xob9QB21u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Comparing your design with what is out now, I think it is doable with most of the electronics at the top and bottom. the only real limiter for the design would be the battery.
    Well, my big thing with these was I wanted to make it as close to reality as possible. And yeah, we can make paper-thin flexible screens, we can get rid of the bezel, but we still need a speaker, we still need a button, we still need the internal hardware and we need to be able to HOLD the damn thing!

I had an image in my head yesterday of what's going to happen when we get flexible electronics, when you can make the whole phone as thin as a piece of paper: slap bracelet phones! Take your phone out of the dock, slap it on your wrist, and out you go into the world.
    I could see that. If the phone was just a phone, we are now at the point of the insignia communicators from STTNG. maybe a concealed phone would be a band-aid you stick to your chin! "Yeah, I cut myself shaving...."
    We actually have comm badges now, I remember reading about a hospital that started using them. The thing is, we use phones for far more than just verbal communication: texting, games, surfing the web, taking pictures or video, etc... comm badges would be a step backwards from that.
    Guess who's back.

I've been meaning to do these. The design of the Franklin in the new Star Trek was real underwhelming, that design just doesn't scale down to that size, it's not functional. So I thought I would take my own crack at it.

tumblr_o3cmv5dIa41u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o3cmv5dIa41u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o3cmv5dIa41u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

I rather like that last one. Feels like something I pictured reading some of the extended universe Trek books.

And another piece of art I created, a massive greenhouse of a spaceship.

tumblr_o3cnc9ChiZ1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    I like the greenhouse ship. Interesting shape, and the support structure gives it an organic feel.
  • JWWrightJWWright171 Posts: 0Member
    Great work, has anyone made a model of your sketches?

Do you know how to do an art direction comp that would be handed off to a modelling team for a prop like a spaceship? Have you made one already?

Have you refined any of these beyond napkin sketches?

Good stuff, man.
    1. Thank you. Yes, there are a few in this thread, though because my sketches are so rough, they're not precise.

2. I don't kow how, i've never really been called upon to do them. I'm pretty flighty when it comes to these things, so once I get the general idea down, I rarely feel the need to revisit them. I do mostly make these things for me. And since I don't know how to 3D model (i've always had a bit of a blind spot when it comes to making the transition, I can't build things physically very well either), the need has never come up.

There's one I've been trying to refine, the concept for the Excalibur, but I can't seem to draw it again. I love the shape of it, the way it all comes together, it's big but it's sleek... any other angle, though, and it falls apart. It doesn't look like it does in my head.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 412Member
    I love the Voyager sketch. Any more of it?
    Blue, the Greenhouse one is awesome! Might take a crack at it if I can find the time...
    Okay, here's something I've been working on for a while... and had the idea for even further back. Inspired by a very obvious piece of hardware sitting around the house, my mind turned it into a scoundrel's spaceship since my mind needed a scoundrel's spaceship. Well, now I have the scoundrel, but I'm still having difficulty drawing this dang thing. But I think I also need to tease out the design more, find something original in the derivative form. This is more of a starting point than anything else. I still have a lot to figure out, including the flight deck sitting between the analog thumbsticks... I mean, the cannons (wink wink).

I don't even have a name for this thing yet!

This is the original concept doodle, very rough. It's a weird shape to draw.

bobby-01.jpg

My original thinking for the center area. The back will look sort of like a yacht with glass-enclosed decks (the trigger buttons will be the thrusters, and I want them to look like car taillights). The ABXY "pleasure" dome houses their small pool, hot tub and so on, I'm not sure what's in the other dome. The one thing I keep going to is that cockpit/bridge being sandwiched between the cannon columns, so it's wider... even though I haven't worked out what it looks like inside.

bobby-02.jpg

And here's me playing with some more variants on the shape.

bobby-03.jpg

(holy cow, I just happened upon this picture, so close to what I pictured the inside of the Pleasure Dome looking like... with a couple different pool options)

lbtblkzbv837cql8l7x3.jpg

Definitely appreciate any feedback on this thing. It's an itch that I haven't been able to adaquetly scratch for a while.
    (SCROLL UP CAUSE THERE'S ART ABOVE TOO!)

And some more. More I say!

This follows the basic idea of the ship above... but overloaded, big and bad... and clearly belonging to some guys you don't wanna mess with. Our heroes are mites in comparison.

tumblr_o5gdbth5ZA1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A quick break from the spaceships, uniforms! Obviously inspired by a certain Sci Fi franchise, and yet somehow maybe possibly not derivative of it. Outside of the colour piping, of course.

uniform_concepts_by_neumatic-d9ymt6a.jpg

An administrator ship from the same universe as that controller ship, inspired by a famous building that no longer exists.

tumblr_o5gd5cL7bs1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Liking the latest sketches, I was waiting for the controller based ideas and wasn't disappointed!
    I'm glad you like it, I'm still disappointed in it... I can't even draw them on two different planes (the wings are supposed to point down while the center stays level, since that's where the cargo and habitat areas are. I wanted to make it so the turrets on top and bottom can hit anywhere, though really there should be a back launcher of some kind.
    edited June 2022 #271
    Thought I would have a go at that Controller ship, hope you don't mind...

cdkaaddzt124.jpg
    twrtxi1u16el.jpg
    ablwcfqbph47.jpg
    j5dj7bj12h9d.jpg

Hope you like too
    Post edited by Starrigger on