Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    I like this very much! The "Booth" is a hot idea, I'll see if I can come up with a render for you. I love the Smart car time machine, i would love to see someone do a real mod like that on their car...

Gotcha on the Dominator, I'll see what else I can come up with.
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    That is Genius. I'll be working on a model of that immediately.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann610 Posts: 1,271Member
    The kiosk... I was just in my bathroom and on the way out the door I tried to figure out the height... then I realized how ergonomic the layout was: the phone icon's height should be the tip of my fingers when I raise my hands straight up, the webcam is level to the top of my head, the screen is in front of me (and the video call would be oriented to the top, close to the lens), and when my elbow is 90 degrees and my arm perpendicular, at that level I can easily swipe my card and stick it into my pocket in one quick move. It's all proportional to the body... you find the average NY's measurements and you've got a scale reference.

And Starrigger, do whatever you like with the Dominator, it's your build.
    Wow, I've been out of this for a little while... so here's an old one or two to keep this thread relevant with some old stuff...

Supershuttlepod_Concept_by_Neumatic.jpg
    I had this idea (and probably drew it) back when my friend Matthew was cast in Phase II, it's a shuttlepod intended to be in the halfway point between Enterprise and TOS. I'm digging on the bullet train design on the nose.

True_Allspark_Enterprise_by_Neumatic.jpg
    From way back when Orci and Kurtzman were attached to the last Star Trek movie... since they were on Transformers, I decided to merge the Allspark Cube from the first Transformers, as if it turned itself into a copy of the Enterprise.

troi-duster.jpg
    A computer doodle I did when I started reading "Titan," I had an idea for a jacket for Troi, seeing as Marina might want a more modest uniform than the young turks have. It also lends her a bit of that sashay and grace her old dresses gave her.

And here's the MOST recent of the old images, a new logo for The Black Hole.
    disney-black-hole.jpg
    I need to explore some new territory-- I was inspired by Tobias's runabout and wanted to design the next level of Runabout (this one named the "Sahara," as in they ran out of rivers to name runabouts after). Though I don't like how it ended up looking, it's a little too Mass Effect.

mass-effect-runabout.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I like both of the runabouts, but I really like the top one. :)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    :D Too Mass Effect indeed, but that doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing, they look pretty cool.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    edited June 2022 #99
    Very cool, though it looks very manmade, I can picture Nasa trying to put it together. I based the Dominator on a redesign on here, it's basically a hexa-hive gone mad, overgrown and branching out further and further. Remember the giant Replicator version of Atlantis from Stargate Atlantis... that was sort of my headspace. So I might actually do a couple changes to yours to make it something new and cool, it looks like a Nasa hot rod.

Dominator take two...

The thought of fractals came to mind, what do you think?

lbganm5my2zw.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Oooh, I LIKE it! Especially in the sky and not the stars! Now you got me thinking about those vine things, they could be like the neurons and tendons of the ship (it is an artificial intelligence). I can totally picture those continuing in the interior too! And thos light lines... gives you an idea of the human scale! I can so picture them being floor-to-ceiling windows!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, the orange glow also makes it look a little like Promethean tech from the new Halo. Looks really good in the sky with that slight soft focus giving a sense of scale.
    "Ain't no sky big enough for a monster like that. And not enough galaxy for us to even hope to outrun it, Cap'n."
    edited June 2022 #103
    Scavenger Ship Revisit:

Yes I know it would never survive a trip through the atmo but it looks cool....

4nmat5zyifth.jpg
    uzs1ktg5idpl.jpg

scav19.jpg

and one Leaving Orbit:

j4yr2dvmkv0q.jpg

Enjoy,
    Steve
    edited June 2022 #104
    And some more Dominator... Unfortunately, I had to remove some detail to get it exported from Sketchup... I may move it over to Blender...

w16dikh5ijn6.jpg
  • Judge Death.Judge Death.1 Posts: 0Member
    I thought some of you might appreciate these, it's been quite a while since I posted anything to this forum but these were sitting around my hard drive for quite a while and if anyone could get any use out of them, I figure you all would.

The first is my take on the Sulaco... I had heard Syd Mead wanted to do a round design which was vetoed... this is what I imagine it might have looked like.

sulaco-disc.jpg

I NEVER liked the look of Voyager... so I attempted to make a sleeker, more elegant shape for it.

nuvoyager.jpg

A scavenger ship, cobbled together from parts of different vessels and held together by spit and chicken wire, rattling about at the edges of the universe.

scavenger.jpg

My take on the Christopher-class starship from "Starfleet Year One" but giving it a different look... I like the front but I want to redo everything else.
    warship_by_neumatic-d58n5go.jpg

If you can make good drawings of stuff you can model. You need top and side views, and use them to build your mesh. There are lots of blender tutorials that teach you how to turn a set of drawings into 3d models.
    Man, seeing the sun hit that Scavenger ship... it's bringing up some kind of emotion for me. It's kind of a perfect shot. You seriously made that ship cooler than I ever could have hoped it would look.

And the Dominator, the new look makes me think of Tron...in a good way (though I don't know if that was intentional on your part). I'll have to think of something hexagonal for those antennae clusters... I was actually thinking they might be shuttlebays, the bigger ones could hold a Liberator-size ship and the smaller ones could have a whole cluster of automated drone shuttles.

Yeah, the Dominator's a pretty detailed ship, I doubt Sketchup could contain it. I'm actually trying to think of another sci-fi ship it's the size of.

And of course, seeing 'em together, I can so picture the Dominator eating up the Scav-Ship. Or just plowing right through it, complete with that "spaceship scream" from the old Star Trek movies.
    New craft! Concept designs for (my) Titan shuttlecraft and supplementary ships. With the updated livery as well (yeah, I know the numbers for ships go way higher but five digits always looked like too many for me, "5000" seemed like a good enough number. My own personal take, right?

titan-shuttles.jpg

The Medi-Ship is like a super-runabout, a floating hospital and functional quarantine area. Two decks, plenty of supplies. And that big ship at the bottom isn't meant to be the Armstrong (that's actually the one I screwed up on above), it's just where I wound up doodling the livery sample.
    SPOILER ALERT!
    spoiler-alert.jpg
    Inspired by the Cardiff class.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    Good stuff. I especially like that latest ship. :)
    Cheers.

If you can't identify this redesign, I feel for ya. Seriously.
    dwarf.jpg

And a Mass Effect-y design.
    djump.jpg
    Ahhh, the Red Dwarf... that could be cool....
    I love Red Dwarf, been watching a lot yesterday (forgot about the hand in "Terrorform," LOL). I should do an update on the bunkroom-- I kept thinking while watching "Prometheus" that the interios looked so much like the short rouge one and the Stargub, so I want to mix 'em together.
    If you can't identify this redesign, I feel for ya. Seriously.

You're likely basing that statement on the assumption that everybody has seen and likes the same stuff you have.
    I didn't have to say you like it or have to like it, a fleeting familiarity or annoyance works just as well. "Oh yeah, I saw a commercial for that once. Looked like crap." Totally fine. But it IS a twenty-some-odd year old science fiction franchise, and this is a board of SF fans to some degree.
    I don't get a lot of British TV where I live. I had to Google "Red Dwarf" to even know it was a British TV series. It looks like it ran from when I was 9 to 14 years old and I wasn't watching a lot of TV in general, let alone anything from another continent. (the whole being in school thing, and whatnot) So, no, I've never seen it, never seen a commercial for it and only even vaguely heard of it. So, I didn't recognize the ship. ;)

I know from talking to people on forums that other parts of the US get a lot of British TV on PBS and whatnot, but my local PBS doesn't seem to show much. When there is British TV, it's not Sci-Fi. I've never even seen Dr. Who listed. (in local years, I don't know about 20 years ago)
    Small sample.
    scifieric
    "..would require changing the bulb...." LOL
    scifieric
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    Really liked that show...except the latest offering. :(
    scifieric
    Outside of "Dear Dave," I dug the new series. Much better than "Back To Earth."

Evil Genius: I actually don't remember how I got exposed to Red Dwarf either, I know it was the first two series and then for a long time nothing, but it wasn't easy to come by either. And I know I never saw it on PBS. I wound up scavenging a lot of the tapes, and it just popped back up on Netflix a week or so ago.
    scifieric
    Evil Genius: I actually don't remember how I got exposed to Red Dwarf either, I know it was the first two series and then for a long time nothing, but it wasn't easy to come by either. And I know I never saw it on PBS. I wound up scavenging a lot of the tapes, and it just popped back up on Netflix a week or so ago.

Netflix has it? Thanks for the info. I may give it a whirl.
    I will warn you it is hard to get into early on... I would even suggest jumping ahead to series 3, where Kryten becomes a crew member and they start dealing with situations off the ship (and the "Alien" influence becomes more evident).

Series 5 moves into more horror/psychological territory with stuff like Inquisitor.

Series 6 is almost a reboot, it moves the action to Starbug (their miniship) and gives them an arcing story and an ever-worsening supply of, well, everything.

Series 7 is the first season to ditch the audience and the show suffers for it, even though it means closed sets, more effects, and this strange filmic filter they put on top of it to make it feel like a movie. There's some real pacing problems with it, but it does close the Starbug arc.

Series 8 is controversial, let's just say that. But they did bring back the audience, the bunk scenes, and some more classical elements while trying to move the show in a new direction.

Back To Earth: Not a fan. Another series without an audience and a conspicuously low budget, despite having a lot of CG set extensions and so on. It's kind of treading water.

And Series X comes out in Feb in the states, I think, though I'm sure you can still find it all on Youtube and similar sites.

And it's an interesting watch when you do it in bulk (I'm watching more at once streaming than I did on disc) because you can see the effects evolve from Wallace and Gromit-quality models to Thunderbirds-quality models and sets to mid-90s CG video effects over model photography to CGI to HD model photography. And the show has wildly inconsistent design from series to series too. They're not too big on continuity, just the set rules.

One of the cool things about the series is that there's no aliens or supernatural beings, every sort of weird creature or machine or intelligence they encounter is some sort of leftover thing humanity screwed up, rogue viruses and genetically engineered life forms... mankind screwed up the galaxy supremely and these four suckers are just trying to navigate through it.

It's also probably the only SF series I can think of where the creator told everyone the ending way in advance, the idea is that the Dwarf finally makes it back to Earth, crash lands and destroys every monument on Earth, and the last shot is Lister and the new humanity exchanging insurance information.

And update:
    This has reminded me of some OLD ship designs I did in 2005-06 after listening to some of the RD Audiobooks.

Jumper_Cab_by_Neumatic.jpg
    Lister's jumper cab. A little too Fifth Element, I always pictured it having cricket legs and just WALKING around but for some reason I never drew that.

Decker_Transport_by_Neumatic.jpg
    One of the transport vessels that takes Lister to the Red Dwarf the first time in "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers." Obviously inspired the British double-deckers.

Prisoner_Transporter_by_Neumatic.jpg
    The Prison transport that takes Lister to a VR penal colony in, I believe, the fourth book.