Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2022 #32
    Hi BlueN, here is some advancement on the scavenger ship:

xosytqvvxdlz.jpg
    hh6vyj0eabg9.jpg
    8h3j6fp2n2sr.jpg

e4g5q9zcobcc.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    scifieric
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann610 Posts: 1,271Member
    OWTIAOL ("Oh Wow, That is AWESOME" out loud) -- seriously, everyone in the house heard me). And that first shot with the brace, peeeerrrrfeecct, JUST how I pictured it. I can hear it twanging if it got hit with something.

That is just bonkers brill. I'll draw up the luxury pod and I'm sure I've got some logos and bumper stickers and weird biz to stick on there.
    scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    The completed Enterprise-E that just went up made me want to revisit this old design, since I figured it would be skinned similar to the Sovereign (it was my take on the Titan, sort of the "Excelsior" version of the Sovereign class)

A_New_Ship_by_Neumatic.jpg

I like that. It could be a Sovereign-class variant or even a different class entirely.
    Yeah, I did some more detailed drawings of it... somewhere. The Sovereign is far from my fave ship but I'd be interested in seeing that skin over that design. I'd want to redo the engineering "hull" and do a few more changes to help differentiate it.
    Here's some more detail for the unnamed Arrowhead ship, there's two possible modes, one with a considerable drive section and one without. I put pictures of the Sovereign ship next to it (sorry IRML, but it's the clearest, sharpest reference I could pull up-- actual movie be damned)

Warning: high res image.

arrowhead.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Great side view. The scavenger ship is really what Deep Space 9 should have been--a modular mining station. It looks too much like a resort on screen.
    I was doing some more doodles of the Voyager II (or whatever it is) and I realized that this and the Titan-Arrowhead are the only Star Trek ships I can draw that come out right, the Enterprise always looks wonky when I do it. Maybe it's because I designed them myself and maybe there's a bit of my mind filling in the blanks going on as well. And while the Titan-Arrowhead has a heavy Sovereign build on top of it, I think it'd be a whole new kind of skin for the V-2, in my head it's almost like a bullet. I remember reading that the interior design of the Voyager was like a big PC, so in my mind the V-2 is a Macbook- stainless steel, bright white/blue windows, ridiculously smooth design and some black elements. The plating is a lot less prominent (following the style of the armour from Endgame) and I think that spine hides a lot of ports for shuttlecraft and so on.

I think I'm going to take that mentality and mix it with Japanese videogames for the design of the Luxury Pod, I sort of have a balance in my head of the interior (unintentionally, another Y-shape structure, but far more rounded) and I also think I have an idea for the accordian connection between airlocks and scaffolds that connect all these pieces to each other.
    edited June 2022 #39
    First run at the Sulaco in the round, not real happy with the rings geometry, need to smooth it more...

rkpzldx6uim1.jpg
    scifieric
    I LOVE this thread.

It looks like a bullet, which is brilliant because the Sulaco in the film looks like a big gun! I think it looks... WOW. I have nothing but awe for it. I'm really curious to see what it looks like from other angles.

What's your issue with the ring geometry?
    scifieric
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I LOVE this thread.

It looks like a bullet, which is brilliant because the Sulaco in the film looks like a big gun! I think it looks... WOW. I have nothing but awe for it. I'm really curious to see what it looks like from other angles.

I assume he's talking about how segmented it looks.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    I LOVE this thread.

Well i would hope you love this thread, after all you started it! ;)

I will post some more angles shortly after i make the ring look round as apposed to a multi faceted polygon.
    Well, I NEVER thought I would love it this much, I thought I'd be just tossing up ideas into the air like I normally do.

I figured that as well, but being a military ship, it kinda makes sense that the habitat would be so armoured that it stops being smooth, so if you decide/have to keep it like that.
    Okay, I did these a while ago while digging The Librarian's brilliant Blake's 7 Liberator model. The hexagon-based design made me realize you could just keep building it out larger and larger, so maybe there's a GIANT version of the Libby out there...

super-liberator.jpg

And this was my concept for the Libby shuttlecraft, I accidentally did the one on top before I realized it needed to be more triangular so they could fit in a hexagonal shuttlebay.

blake-shuttle.jpg

I feel like it's too forward to put these designs in his thread so here they are.
    edited June 2022 #45
    Really liking your sketches, keep it up.

Another small jerk forward for the Scavenger

6j2lkvc03tci.jpg

Enjoy,
    Steve
    I love the colour you chose, it feels very Alien, half-Nostromo and half-Leviathan.
    edited June 2022 #47
    Another angle of the Sulaco redesign, with a nod to the Nostromo

iwp9dbhfja2r.jpg
    edited June 2022 #48
    ... and some more

648thkykipbb.jpg
    Gotta say, while personally I like the bullet skin from before more, this texture seems like the most realistic, it's almost like padding to protect it from space debris and so on. I can actually feel it in my hands as I look at it.

Until you put that little tower thing on the top, I'd never realized the scale of this thing.

Love the flaps over the engine vents. I can actually picture this thing landing like a rocket now.

The x-acto knife antennae at the front are sweet, actually looks like you'd see on a physical model. And NOW it's reminding me of the ships from Hitchhiker's Guide, the Vogons... in the movie the bottoms of their ships looked like electric outlets and that's how they docked, I can see those antennae maybe having a lock mechanism use to them (I actually thought we'd see some come out of those side indents, but I like those indents either way.
    edited June 2022 #50
    A couple more Scavenger ship, starting Bridge.

ej582d1dlx98.jpg
    lroiw1nfvhic.jpg
    Oh BABY. I'm so drawing THAT! And I gotta find some old car seats too (and part of me thinks that the pilot would tie a towel around that girder overhead so he doesn't bang his head into it, Arrested Development style. I didn't even think seeing the inside was an option!
    edited June 2022 #52
    Some work on the placement of major structure elements:

ysjre08d8zzi.jpg
    xdz5pc2oqswt.jpg
    Oh BABY. Bay-bee baybee. Buhbee.

This is all helpful feedback, I'm sure.

Since I clicked on the Palomino thread and heard that score for The Black Hole, I can kinda hear it for this baby too... anything that sounds like it's being played on a warped record player.

That texturing on the Luxury Pod is now making me really rethink the inside... at first I thought it would just be like the one from Promotheus (ProMEtheus!) but NOW I'm thinking more along the lines of a converted planetarium or something with an LED grid-dots all along... a holo pod.
    I gotta get my butt back into space.

I was in AWE of the Jupiter 2 rebuild going on on this board and one design I've been thinking of for too long was a family house spaceship, not like Zathura where the house is blasted off into space, but a house design is fitted into a spaceship. I was inspired, obviously, by this...

house-in-warehouse.jpg

Sort of a house turned inside out and fitted into a spaceship.
    I Like that Idea, also reminds me of the last shot in Charley and the Chocolate factory...

ch_124BucketHouse.jpg
    edited June 2022 #56
    How about this for the "Luxury" pod? In keeping with the whole scavenger theme, it's from an earlier model I was working on.

lw06eemeer1f.jpg
    qzypxqwaizk3.jpg
    EVEN BETTER than I thought! I love it love it! It looks like it's a shot from a movie I love! And the boosters look pretty sweet too.

Thinking of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I have a whole Jeunet + Caro take on that property in my head.
    Okay, I didn't want to design another ringship, yet THIS is what came to me when I started thinking about the house-ship:

family-ship.jpg

It's really all about that two-story open area, ideally similar to the photo I posted, as if the house was turned inside out. Bedrooms and so on on the second floor, kitchen, dining room, living room etc on the "ground" level, but I always pictured the action taking place in the "pit," the garden area where the family can convene and discuss. Beneath is a gym, pool, bath/shower, etc, and the hangar is beneath it. The boy has his own cool bike, though I haven't decided if it hovers or not.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    It's a pretty swish layout that I could see working well. The fact you don't want a ring to fully encircle it is a good twist on the ring-ship idea.
    Well, the storage pods form a ring, but they're dwarfed by the "skirt" surrounding the lower levels and landing legs.

Actually, as I look at it, I realize I need to change it so there can be windows on the first floor of the "house" level.
    edited June 2022 #61
    Here's a thought... I don't like the engines though.. I need to come up with something better..

4s36gsydphlr.jpg
    tbjftbndj5id.jpg