Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,284Member
    More art! Some props for Iron Star.

tumblr_oiqh7243Gv1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpgtumblr_oiqh7243Gv1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

Replicators are KIND of a thing in the Iron Star-verse, but they're more like Keurig machines (you can see the inspiration there): they can create pre-designed food using one-time use K-cups to create something... okay, not great. The tech is expensive, the K-cups are expensive, and there's intense DRM on there. Tech-heads realized that almost a third of the k-cups don't get used, so they hack the machines to get an extra meal. This is, of course, a violation of the EULA and quite illegal.

This tech also doesn't scale up very well, so there's still kitchens, restaurants, and vending machines in the universe. The basic nutritional generation technology inside is used, in part, to create the food the inmates consume.

tumblr_oiqhafnjNJ1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Design for a small pistol for Page, which she uses to knock off a convenience store. That little triangle is a fingerprint scanner, though now that I think about it, there should be a mod on top of it since it's unlicensed. The gun is clearly inspired by the handle off a Dyson vacuum cleaner, but I like it.

tumblr_oiqhcqsfDw1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

One bit for Eden involves Keeley stealing a heat/sun lamp for her while she's in solitary. Had an image in my head of what that would look like, wound up actually going some colouring on it.
    Clearing out x-mas boxes today, I got some inspiration!

tumblr_oizserAoXt1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    A basic SF interior. Might be somewhere on the Iron Star, or it could be a general purpose chamber in any starship or starbase. It feels like the kind of walls that I would see watching SF on TV, the kind of wall I couldn't just create. How weird that I would discover it unfolding a box?

tumblr_oizserAoXt1u9hwe3o4_1280.jpg
    Wall designs, this was the plastic case that held the SD cards. I started snapping them together and realized they'd make interesting plates for the bulkheads.

tumblr_oizserAoXt1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg
    This was a plastic bracket to keep the lens in place in the box, but when I saw it, I immediately thought of a space station. Massive dome in the center, standing on top of the offices and official station work levels, surrounded by a promenade/bazaar, and buttressed with four towers of quarters.

The ships all dock underneath, with ports and plugs hanging like stalactites from the ceiling. It's like an upside-down Venice in there.

I think that the four towers might also serve different functions. The fleet could use one, merchants could use another (with gathering space for merchant guild meetings and so on), travelers could use one, and the civilians of the station would use the fourth. The style is meant to evoke a luxury hotel, and the towers are supposed to be identical, but you can imagine some towers are more equal than others. Likewise, the massive eco-dome in the center is open to all, but there's a waiting list to get, with the least fortunate finding it difficult to get a spot.

And this is something I'm sure no one gives a darn about. I really don't like the look of the new Power Rangers, so I thought I'd try my hand at taking the design and streamlining it. I tried to break it down into simple shapes and just try and make them look nicer... not really a finished work, more of an exploration. There are pieces of it I like (particularly the gauntlets). I have other pages of toku armour studies, so I have plenty of parts for when/if I need to create my own.

tumblr_oizsibTNXw1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I think these might also come in handy for when I design robots.
    Man, I had a fun idea for the Iron Star (rat drones!), but as I've been coming up with ideas, I'm trying to think of what to do for the big reveal of the Iron Star itself. That first shot, you know?

And I love the clash of having this majestic, grand establishing shot of the station and then cutting right to a boring, beige DMV style admission office.
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member

And I love the clash of having this majestic, grand establishing shot of the station and then cutting right to a boring, beige DMV style admission office.

With this playing in the background...
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    That whole bit is going to be really tricky because I love the idea that this undercover operation is subject to real problems, and one of them is that your first day of prison is the most boring **** imaginable, but at the same time, it's a pilot and I need to get her inside with the others to get the story going!

I also still haven't figured out what the Keeley's crime is, it's kind of an important element (even if it's not real)! And I figure hers would be a real crime today, not a dystopia/future crime like the DRM hacking or solar stealing.

I also haven't figured out what Lorelei the Android's crime was, either... she's in for a dime.

I've got...

Page in for robbing a convenience store (and various petty crimes over the years)
    Sasha in for illegal hacking and modifying food machines (and various petty crimes)
    Shaggy (whose name I need to change) for drugs
    Eden for illegal use of solar & not paying impossible taxes
    Barricuda for assault, murder, eco-terrorism
    (similar to her gang of aquatics)
    The Teacher for teaching/speaking out against the government
    Something a little different. Opened a box and thought the custom packaging looked interesting, rotated one way it reminded me of the kind of "machines" that would stick out of the wall in Star Trek TOS, but if you turn it another way it looked like the sort of buildings that would be in old TOS matte paintings. Might draw later, but I took some photos and decided to label one.

tumblr_ojdpikKior1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

---

edit/update: Oh, I have to mention in regards to the Iron Star, I absolutely LOVE the look of the alien ship that just appeared in Elite Dangerous:

fzsl6vtzjgyxd7amtmoy.jpg

The weird, organic shape of it? Excellent! It's way too smooth and beautiful and weird for the Iron Star, but I had been thinking about making a more detailed version. Of course, the stark brutalist look that I have right now is kind of perfect for a space prison, but maybe there's a little more I could do with it...
    New concepts... transport ships, felt like I needed something smaller than the floppy disc ships, these are more like buses/airplanes.

tumblr_ojpmp4Ww1c1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I've been trying to figure out how to plot out the pilot, trying to get Keeley from the Anubis to the Iron Star and quickly to get the plot moving. Of course, I SHOULDN'T add another location and effect into it, but these might show up later.
    Some oldies I can't believe I didn't post.

I'm going to have my old hardcover sketchbooks scanned (because I don't have the space to keep them), and there are a couple interesting ideas for ships and robots in there. All very rudimentary (and for me, that's saying something). I'm going over some of the lines so they'll show up, and the more interesting ones I'll revisit and rework in my current style. But there's one or two that I hadn't put on here, despite being in my online gallery forever.

guild_ship_by_neumatic.jpg

This thing I envisioned as a massive Bounty Hunter ship-- look at those greebles. Not sure what it's going to be now.

the_starship_point_of_light_by_neumatic.jpg

The unfinished Starship Point Of Light, something I imagine looking more like a British TV show model of a ship (think Doctor Who or Blake's Seven). I love the second nose at the bottom, I think it might detach as a scout ship while the main crew remain behind on the main ship.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I like those.
    Wow! Constantly pulling stuff out of the closet! Love this stuff. You are a very creative guy Blue!
    Thanks! There's BOOKS of that stuff. Totally different artistic mentality back then, and they don't really have stories attached to them the way my newer stuff does. And they're MUCH harder to redraw. There's a reason I switched to this starker art style.

And creative is good, I still need to work on my follow-up, I'm still trying to figure out the pilot for Iron Star (and the actual TITLE for the dang series).
    Sometimes it's best to wait on a title until you finish the work. Looking back you will see what it was REALLY about.
    I've been pretty good with the episode titles: "Fresh Meat" (the pilot, which involves investigating inmates who are getting eaten), "Two-Way Mirror," "Multiple Life Sentences," "The Droid You're Looking For," "Reach Out And Cut Someone," "Read 'Em Their Rights," "Seven Minutes In H34V3N," "The Grass Is Greener" (an Eden episode, obviously), "The Devil, You Say?" (A H4D35 episode), etc etc

The issue with the series title is that there's no permanent instillation, we spend a season or two in The Iron Star before going to H4D35, and after that we go to the automated facility and the Fortress. So the consistency is the prisoner characters, and even they change from facility to facility. So it's hard to find a constant for the name (and I can't call it "Keeley," but that's what the file is titled).

As for what it's about, it's about taking a stand against a universe reorganizing itself to step on you. Realizing that the deck is stacked against you, that there are unfair systems, profiting on human misery.
    Not sci-fi, but connected to my concept, an dI did show an earlier version. This is another attempt at designing the Iron Star's resident stoner/cat.

stoner_character_re_d_sign_by_neumatic-dawfqdo.jpg

Right now she's a mash-up of Cara Delevigne and Vanessa Hudgens, though I need to throw in a few more influences to make her look more unique. The mouth was tricky, because both women have unique smiles and I was trying to get the best of each in there. Not sure why I'm bothering, outside of liking to have a character design down.

I might straighten her hair out a bit more... maybe dreads...

Update: Second day attempt:
    second_day_attempt_by_neumatic-dawjrg5.jpg

Edit: I just saw a girl today that looks a lot like this. Strange coincidence. Though I think she'd be more of a Velma than a Shaggy. I should have drawn her, but didn't.
    Because I showed you that character, here's another one: Gentry, the "young old man" character. Imagine a stuffy University student decided to just skip ahead and become a cantankerous old professor type right away.

gentry_doodles_by_neumatic-daxcask.jpg

--- anyway, the ship stuff ---

More new old stuff. Found inside one of my old sketchbooks, the first I'm sending off to get scanned. These are ones I deemed worthy to cut out and save the physical version of... meaning I'll probably try to draw upon them in the future.

tumblr_okmn5nFsZP1u9hwe3o4_1280.jpg

I don't know what I'd call this particular design... a techno-organic Enterprise, perhaps? This hard, fluid shell over more mechanical looking guts. it's different than anything *I've* ever seen before, so that means it's probably an aesthetic worth following... if I could figure out what the rules of it are. I do have a space concept that needs cruiser starships.

Now these I like, since they remind me of British studio models... an aesthetic I'll always have a soft spot for.

tumblr_okmn5nFsZP1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

I think this might be Angel One, I'm not sure. It looks like a mix of the space shuttle and Starbug, and I can easily picture it hanging off wires.

tumblr_okmn5nFsZP1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A tripod-looking thing. Makes me think of the spaceship from Life Of Brian, with all the stuff coming out of the ring in the back.

This kind of cruiser is all over my sketchbooks, never sure what exactly to call them.

tumblr_okmn5nFsZP1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

In a similar vein... this one feels a lot simpler than the previous one, it could be a more advanced version of the above model... the Enterprise D to the Enterprise A. The wings also remind me of someone sticking their arms out, pretending to fly... I like that. It's also got a mohawk on the back, perhaps it's a Native American ship. The Universal Indigenous Peoples' Space Agency?
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    If that last cruiser is a human vessel, "Nautilus" suggests itself. That enormous bow-saber reminds me of the LXG (yes, yes, I know) design for the Sword of the Ocean. And that top sail at the back reminds me a smidge of the Disney version.
    Ain't nothin' wrong with the LXG Nautilus, it was a beautiful ship. "The Sword Of the Stars" did occur to me, looking back at that old design.
  • JESJES392 Posts: 195Member
    I think I might have seen some of your work on DeviantArt. Or somewhere.

I really need to look through this when I have the time! Especially for inspiration regarding non-Trek designs!
    Oh yeah, I've been on DeviantArt forever... though I've never had that many views (outside of my cosplay photography).

Just looked through my gallery, amazed at how much my style has changed. And I found an ancient, ancient piece of ship art I nver posted here.

desperately_xeeking_xenoprobe_by_neumatic.jpg
    Wow! There's some really nice stuff here, I look forward to some more of those books
    Thanks. Those Xenos are from an earlier time, and a bit too close to Star Trek for me to do anything useful with. But they're different enough from Star Trek that I don't know where and in what universe they would fit in.

I feel like if I could get a design language/history down for them, that Techno-Organic Enterprise-y line of ships (I'm sure there are more in one of these books somewhere) might be good for my own space-faring idea, which I'm trying to keep from being too close to Trek. A unique ship design would help with that!

Here's something fresh, a weird junk knight I did last night.

tumblr_okskuoFODu1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I can imagine this thing creaking and crunching with every step, steam escaping from its’ boiler belly, all his parts ratting against each other.
    Trying to clear out my clipboard because, well, it's getting packed with half-done drawings.

tumblr_oky3ubDPQn1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

So the Riot guards in prisons are nicknamed Ninja Turtles, and I don't know WHY it took me this long to think of a turtle-ship. It's all black paneling, with the siren lights peeking out of the cracks. This thing is a troop carrier and is super stealthy.

I definitely want to redo this, because it doesn't look quite like I saw in my head.

tumblr_oky3ubDPQn1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Still trying to lay out the Iron Star cells... this isn't quite right, it's just a bit too space capsule-y. Too many parts, it looks fragile to me. I want it to feel heavier, like thick cinder block ones though it's hard to justify that in space, even if the IS itself meant to evoke heavier WPA-era buildings.

tumblr_oky3ubDPQn1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

Another Iron Star interior, this one meant for the civilian levels. I tried a whole lot of things, and even though I'm not nuts about this particular one, I do like that it's more mundane with a little SF added on top. Those wall frames are pretty standard trope-y sci fi and I like the idea that you could just prop some up in a real location and make it "future," but you don't want all these potential blind spots in a prison colony.

(I will say, there is a more Alien/Red Dwarf-y pipes-and-packing crates corridor in The Iron Star, called "the Hidey Hole," a place that the scanners can't see, where Keeley hides her contraband cell phone.

water_woman_by_neumatic-day2nzy.jpg

and not connected to Iron Star, this old, old doodle I dug up is a halfway-complete costume design from me messing about with Waterworld. It's sort of halfway to having an iconic shape to it, if I keep plugging away. There's another drawing from about this same time that's in my analog portfolio but I don't know if I ever posted it.

And after ALL that, I still managed to create a new piece of art, at four in the freakin' morning:

tumblr_oky7qdG5lt1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A stealth suit for the plant species living in the Black Sunflower. I lifted the design from, well, myself and an earlier stealth suit I had created that wasn't quite right for the character I made it for. These function as their space suits as well as the armoured suits their army uses. I can see Eden wearing one of these, though I have no idea when that would happen.

Next go around at it, I'll try to create some more interweaving elements, it seems right for a plant species. The original version was inspired by a Japanese robe, so I'll probably be looking at more of those.

Still trying to lay out the Iron Star cells... this isn't quite right, it's just a bit too space capsule-y. Too many parts, it looks fragile to me. I want it to feel heavier, like thick cinder block ones though it's hard to justify that in space, even if the IS itself meant to evoke heavier WPA-era buildings.

You could always go with the heavy metal seams and rivets..

depositphotos_1875060-stock-photo-old-metal-tank-with-rivets.jpg

or

2401154-a-metal-plate-with-rivets-and-wire-meshing.jpg
    I could. That second one is close to what I was thinking for the H4D35 cell, actually. The first one I dunno about, but I can picture Keely and Page having to clean it with their toothbrushes.

I might go for a tile thing, especially since the interior of the hole that I like has interesting subway tile.

So that Waterworld sketch, the "good" one that's more realistic and shows off more of the costume, I did it in 2012. Jeez louise, now I'm wondering if that's how long the uploaded one was in my clipboard for. There's another costume, but I didn't post because it is SKIMPY. And when *I* say that, it's really saying something. BUT now that I think about it, maybe those kinds of costumes are what the Black Sunflower civilians wear.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    That turtle ship is a great concept. I've been puzzling for a while how to design something that maintained the aesthetics of a sea turtle, but could be functional. I think you've pulled it off wonderfully. :thumb:
    Thanks!

Getting the plates to work together is still a bit tricky, especially with those curves, but I like the direction it's going in. Of course, I also have to design the armour to go along with this ship, but after doing Eden's Stealth Suit, I feel confident moving in a sentai/tokusatsu-inspired direction.

You know, that big carrier thing in Rogue One TOTALLY made me think of a sea turtle, those four wings reminded me of flippers. Which itself reminded me of an old doodle I did (that might be somewhere in this thread) of the Millennium Falcon as a giant tortoise.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    You know, that big carrier thing in Rogue One TOTALLY made me think of a sea turtle, those four wings reminded me of flippers.

I thought the same thing!
    water_woman_2012_drawing_by_neumatic-day6ez2.jpg

After posting that waterworld inspired picture, I realized I never posted the original concept drawing... I found out I did it way back in 2012, jesus! As you can see, it's a bit more precise and not quite as stylized or individualized as the later sketch.

tumblr_okzyo4gHAF1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Some designs I cooked up for smuggled-in cell phones. Some are cheap burners, others have to be repaired, modified, or kitbashed from available resources.

Things I love in this one: the "video note pad," which I definitely intend to use in the series (Eden uses one to send a message to Keeley, just getting her green hands on one cost about a week's worth of rations). They can store a tiny green Star Wars-style hologram that lasts for about a minute. Also, the 80s Apple looking 'Phone Brain" plug-in module with the RGB lights on it. I figured once civilization spread out to more planets, there'd be a hobby interest in trans-planetary communication, like CB radio.

Today, I got to try my hand at Tiltbrush. I loved it. Once the folks at the Microsoft store found out I could draw, they let me just cut loose in there for as long as I wanted. Tried every brush, every option. Very fun. I could see a point soon where I could model something as quickly as I can draw it now, THAT will be a game changer.

At some point, I want to try and doodle the inside of the Iron Star in there. It's complicated... a bit too much for pen on paper, but it makes sense in 3D.
    edited June 2022 #360
    Another Iron Star interior, this one meant for the civilian levels. I tried a whole lot of things, and even though I'm not nuts about this particular one, I do like that it's more mundane with a little SF added on top. Those wall frames are pretty standard trope-y sci fi and I like the idea that you could just prop some up in a real location and make it "future," but you don't want all these potential blind spots in a prison colony.

Maybe something like this would work, you get the sci-fi trope, but with less blind spots:

dco8zhuut9xp.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Starrigger wrote: »
    Maybe something like this would work, you get the sci-fi trope, but with less blind spots:

ISHall01.jpg

Oh my god, look at that! I love it! It's got the 80s grids without being ridiculously complicated! And you could easily put bulletin boards and safety posters on the wall, benches on the side of the wall... awesome! Love it love it. It's perfect for a mopping scene as well.

It can also be opened up to adapt to other "prison-y" locales:

tent-city-tour-02.jpg

In fact, you even got me wondering if that might not be right for the cells themselves ("them-cell-ves?")

I can see those access boxes above the cable housing having locks on them. And I'm thinking those cables are always on the inside side of the hallway, that way you're always oriented inside (like how TNG had the computer screens in their hallways always on the outside side).

What got me thinking about the regular hallways was this shot where Keeley struts confidently out of an interview room after winning an argument with her handler, got this victorious little sashay in her walk, an dI can totally see her doing this down this hallway.

pict50.jpg

I was inspired by this moment in "The People V OJ Simpson" where OJ and his lawyers have poker night in one of the visitation rooms, I could see Keeley and Bobby doing something like that. Of course, Keeley's decent enough to share her won Smarties with her friends, while Bobby is petty enough to get competitive over tiny candies. I could also see a poker game going on in H4D35, gambling with component parts.

Plus I can imagine it all painted white and neutral gray, and being used as the civilian levels for H4d35 as well (to contrast against the complicated, open air metal of the lower prison levels). I'll do a quick doodle, but I can see those walls in pristine white surrounding a giant fruit tree, the goal of one of the episodes ("Mush," where the heat and pressure inn the underground geothermal factory keeps the inmate's food a runny, disgusting mess and they decide to try and find real food in the surface levels).