Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    Oh baby! Those gliders were from a whole other class of scroungers (a militaristic tribe, whereas the V-framers are just a scrappy crew). So now I can see the second group getting attacked by the first! Interesting possibilities await! You can't shake those little things, you can only hope to burn 'em up in the atmosphere.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Wow! Those go so well with the scavenger ship. I like the way you have them located. Entry from the belly and having them recessed into the hull is a great idea.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    i too agree that the clamping onto the hull is a cool setup.
    Back from the dead. And I need brains. BRAINS!

I haven't had a lot of sci-fi going in, my reading for the spring was Reamde (which took a dang long time to finish), so I haven't been seeing spaceships in my head: more like computers and interfaces. Nice stuff, but nothing worth posting here. Nothing that would feel right.

Well, last week for Mother's Day, I bought my mom a ton of books, and I used it as an excuse to treat myself to some magazines, one of which was about yachts, and it rekindled an idea from the back of my head for a flying yacht. I was thinking one that could work in the air, sea, and land. The ultimate luxury all-terrain vehicle (of course, I realized later that a land yacht is a winnebago, but a boat with wings is much cooler.

I tried to doodle a yacht and add wings or chopper blades to it but it didn't really work right, so I decided to take a page from "The Avengers" and redesigned the whole thing, it LOOKS like a yacht without actually being just a yacht with something on it (like the old Hellicarriers were boats with jets on them. Now they're different).

Anyway, here's what I wound up doing:

flying-yacht-original.jpg
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    kewl! Love that one in the middle!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    I would love to see that yacht developed further. It is one awesome idea!
    Thanks! It's apparently the update of the classic flying sailing ship that no one else seems to have thought of (or rather, I haven't seen it anywhere else).

I think I might need to get my butt in a yacht (not easy in a landlocked state) to get a sense of how everything in there works together, seeing idealized photos doesn't really give you the same impression.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Middle one does indeed work well, definitely a nice blend of yacht and Helicarrier, the others are a little too literal.

If you look back at fantasy there have been many flying boats/sail ships, the Final Fantasy games for one example have featured a broad variety of flying sail ship/airship hybrid designs, well worth looking at. The movie Stardust also featured a flying sailing ship. So it certainly isn't a new idea, how you go about realising it will be where the uniqueness comes from.
    will it be space faring or atmosphere only?
    Atmo only.
    So a little bit of an update: since I got my porch back finally, I started finally reading Star Trek Destiny (I did about 186 pages just today) and the picture in my head is just... wow. I've started scribbling down concepts, hopefully some will be clean/interesting enough to post. I've been away from sci-fi for a while, especially Star Trek, to clear my head and boy am I glad because it made everything pop. I had already had ideas for how the Titan and Excalibur would look (Titan being a more standard update of Trek style, Excalibur more Mass Effect-y), but the Aventine in my head is this sleek Oblivion-style ship (there's literally different window sizes so you can tell which ship you're in, Titan has the smallest, Excalibur is about half wall size, and Aventine has floor-to-ceiling windows... when it has windows. Great big sweeping vistas and a gorgeous sleek interior. Because the Columbia is also in the book, that's been forcing my head to make the Next Gen ships feel so much more advanced, AND because my mind is working on all of that, when we get to the Enterprise, I'm seeing the Enterpise-D, not the E, and it's kind of awesome and homey seeing half the Next Gen crew and all these new guys in the old colourful uniforms while there's other ships that are high tech and sleek wearing all-black uniforms. It's just all this compounded awesomeness so hopefully I'll be able to convey some of that in the upcoming art. For all the cool, stylish stuff I see in my head, I usually only manage to capture a small percentage of it accurately, so I'm hoping to improve in that regards this time around.
    Some new/recent designs. I notice I'm becoming simpler in my style. I'm sorry I haven't been sharing, but there really haven't been any new ideas that have been lighting a fire in me.

f-zero.jpg
    The release of Mario Kart 8 made me think "we really need an F-Zero update." It was funny revisiting that game (unfortunately, only through Youtube) to see how simple all the designs were. An HD upgrade shouldn't be that hard, but it made the ships fun to draw and design.

hospital-ship-quad.jpg
    And another simple ship: a hospital carrier with additional leaves. I don't know if I thought out the design well enough (I don't like that nose). But maybe it's the start of something.

fat-and-thin.jpg
    Two ships I imagined in the fleet in Star Trek Destiny. Again: simplification of design.

interstellar.jpg
    Okay, I'll be honest: when I heard that Christopher Nolan was doing a space movie, my immediate thought was that we were going to see the Tumbler/Batmobile as a giant spaceship. I wanna see it. I wanna draw it, but that's a design that's tough. So evidently I went the other way and went sleek. It kind of looks like a pen. Not that happy with it.
    the hospital ship is nice. looks like it was converted from a cargo ship or fighter carrier when the nation/species operating it realised that the war they were fighting was a lot bloodier than expected.
    edited June 2022 #225
    Like the rounded Star Trek design... Great to see you back at your sketches

Took a stab at that ST design (something new for me) not sure I like it. Any thoughts on what would improve it would be great:

l13oxnkaxreo.jpg
    uv8xmcxr2a94.jpg
    7f2a037j2hba.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    I tried a stab at the Hospital ship, but it did not cooperate at all... it's OK but not what I wanted:

hosp01.jpg
    edited June 2022 #227
    Here's another shot of it:

dokl8yhg2px5.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I like the double front of that Hospital ship.
    Stackable hulls.
    It's very okay! My design felt more like a low-polygonal video game style ship, where yours looks like it could happily co-exist with the dropship from Aliens.. which is awesome!
    i would say your original sketch could happily coexist with the vessels in starship troopers (all of the films). the model is good but not as a representation of the drawing rather as a whole new craft. a low poly base can be alright provided enough details are dropped on later, which can't be done in a sketch so your drawing could infact act as the base design for a movie quality model.
    Have I REALLY not posted here since July? I gotta rectify that. I just haven't done a lot of spaceship/sci-fi art for a while. Certainly nothing worth posting.

Here's the most recent thing I did, I grabbed a Star Trek novel for myself and this is the first ship that entered my mind. A massive new Federation ship in the post-TNG era.
    triangle.jpg

Another thing that I wound up doing, a Star Trek/Mass Effect fusion console design.
    pink-console.jpg
    Spaceship I just did today... meant to be a pirate ship, lots of storage space for swag.
    tumblr_nj46u4yDmS1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg

(Link to the Tumblr post in case you want a high res version)
    Cool! I always love your sketches, they get the creative juices flowing...:)
    I'm so glad I have a Tumblr now to share them. They always get my creative juices flowing as well, it's how I play with stray thoughts and put parts together.
  • YggYgg0 Posts: 0Member
    what is your tumblr blueneumann? this trek concept looks quite interesting, could be quite iconic, somebody should model that, ill give it a try but i have limited skills and galaxy style bodies baffle me, do you have any more illustrations on that one? in any case excellent work man, really inspiring
    My Tumblr is here, Sketchysketchies. I just got it so there isn't much on there, but it' the sort of thing I doodle all the time. I have lots of old sketchbooks I've been meaning to scan in (they're not doing any good on the shelves except weighing down my floor) so there should be an interesting variety of things up there soon.

Here's an example, my attempt to stylize the Stargate symbols into something that looks digital or like a stencil.
    tumblr_nj46l5yQ5T1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Finally, new stuff.

This ship is inspired by a crummy movie I was watching, it wasn't actually sci-fi but I started imagining the characters in an SF setting and this dinky tin can in space seemed perfect for them.

tumblr_nl16zrn5io1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg

And this one is inspired by a Trek concept elsewhere on this forum, I'll include it in that thread. The ship my mind put together was slightly different, but I liked it.

tumblr_nl1783YHX41u9hwe3o1_540.jpg
    Here's an old one... kinda interesting, maybe.. a flat, amoeba-shaped ship from about 2003-2004.
    tumblr_nl8it5uJSr1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it. It has a cool organic look to it.
    Here's something that I'm interested in exploring.

I thought I would try to do a redesign of the Andromeda Ascendant, since that ship just... it never really worked for me. I'm not nuts about this particular layout (I tried to make it sword-like, though I don't think I'll ever improve on my Excalubur in terms of "sword-like ship"), but that hard straight line between two different styles? That I really like. I have it in my head that this ship was built by two alien races whose design styles just can't intermix. The ship is the best of both worlds, but the parts are still oil and vinegar. it just seems like something we've never seen before. And I wanted it to look like they were fused together instead o fjust having a stylish casing over parts of it.

ando-straight-line.jpg

I'm thinking that the curving parts would be like metal tendons or something, the work of a techno-organic species, while the rest is more white, sharp-edged, almost like NXZT computer cases, made by human beings.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I like the most recent one. Interesting shapes.