Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DPen and ink ships since I can't model

• BlueNeumannBlueNeumann629 Posts: 1,285Member
    Oh, I don't mind at all! Now I have something to refer to as I toy with the design! And I like the idea of switching the D-Pad dome with a satellite dish... especially because it's the new Millennium Falcon one! The ship is very much in the vein of the Millennium Falcon, with Bobby thinking he's a total Han Solo type (he's not).

I had no idea the wings were going to be so big, I noticed how long they were in that spinner variant, is that what your render was based on?
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2022 #273
    Yes the Spinner version, I thinned up the wings, looks better I think. Also the "Balls" on the wing could be for lift (repulsers?) when landing and take-off.

vpwb5nz1911s.jpg
    eqh5o4fcecs2.jpg
    ntzidfvabu36.jpg

I think I need to enlarge the Flight deck windows though (Scales wrong).
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Shiny! I don't say "a sight for sore eyes" often but it is, me eyeballs feel like microwaved cheese, bubbling and popping... the Rise Discs in the back popping out like that, cool. I can imagine them making little cyclones on the ground when they get close enough, kicking stuff around all over the place. I wouldn't stand directly beneath them...

Okay, you're doing the variant. Is that the window notch on top in the center? Oh yeah, I see it, that thing is MASSIVE... and the original was meant to be a maybe 12-person ship (the crew is about three), maybe three or four decks in the center. This can be bigger (it totally should be if it has more shape and goodies to it, maybe it's a fifty person ship? Right now I'm just trying to think of details to add to those shapes, ship markings, greebles, hatches, etc. Maybe that'll give me a guide to what to do on Bobby's smaller craft.

I just noticed the triangular pattern in the dome too! Nice touch!
    Did a quick page of doodles before bed. Same universe as the controller ship, belongs to an aggressive alien species that are funky fish men. So obviously their ships could look like fish, and I realized "oh wait, I could use my own Minbari redesign."

Here's what I came up with. You don't want to go up against these things in a fight.

tumblr_o5tn5dtIUG1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

I really like that gaping open mouth... I can picture a dome for the eyeball and the teeth could be weird jagged extrusions, like on the Sulaco. I don't know what's in the mouth yet, though. But I bet it could eat escape pods and debris easy.
    More ships, more fun! And this isn't including the buttload of logos I conceived earlier today, including the manufacturers of the controller ships (Anubis Aircraft, Bobby's simple controller ship is an A130, Starrigger's big spinner variant is the new Anubis ALPHA). The sat-dish is usually an Octopus Interstellar unit (the Comcast of the universe), but that made me realize Bobby had better set up an illegal dish since he doesn't want anyone snooping on his activities. I guess it would be like a giant version of a wok with wires attached to it.

Anyway, onto more art!

tumblr_o5vfa40zNS1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

The Maw, the gaping entrance to a world-sized ocean beneath the frozen surface of a moon. The species that makes those fish-inspired ships I posted last night live down there.

tumblr_o5vfa40zNS1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

The Black Sunflower, a small space colony inhabited by living plant-beings. Their use of the sun is illegal, hence the ship being black and covered with stealth technology.
    LOOOVe this stuff, Blue! Sounds like one wild ride of a story...
    I don't know why I didn't post this when I did this, ideas for the logos of companies that make their universe run. I quite like the Anubis logo, which is the company that makes those controller ships.
    tumblr_o64jcdwxJM1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    BODYBAG, "Your either in one, or your in one!" LOL!

Like this set, agree about Anubis
    I was thinking of "Bodyglove," the wet suit makers. It seems liek they might move into spacesuit making in the future. But this is a dark, brutalist future, so... "Bodybag."
    So my scanner broke, and I had to buy a replacement. Annoying, I know. But it made me realize I have to step up my found item game. You see, when I got my new scanner, it came with these styrofoam bumpers on either end to hold it in place. And I realized if you took one of these, then put one of those square subdivided styrofoam boxes people put food in... you get Han Solo's ship from The Force Awakens! How did I not see it before? There's got to be starships all around us! Unfortunately, all my stuff is the same stuff: books, pens, boxes, etc... nothing weird that you can make a ship frrom.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, that has always been the way, on the Star Wars front some of the most famous for being inspired by everyday objects are Slave-1 being based on a street lamp and the Neb-B being an outboard boat motor. I'm always looking for interesting shapes in the everyday to inspire some new designs.
    I think Rey's speeder bike was an ink cartridge from a printer.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    And the Millennium Falcon is one of GL's favorite meals: a burger with a pickle on the side.
    Well, none of these are quite right for this new ship I want, but they're inspired by old tech and feel like they could work for generic cargo ships.

tumblr_o6u73pE0Jh1u9hwe3o4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o6u73pE0Jh1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

This one is a bit sleeker, but it still doesn't feel quite right, it doesn't have "it." ("It doesn't refer to a bright orange stripe, btw).

tumblr_o6u73pE0Jh1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

This ship, not based on a very obvious piece of old tech, I like. It's for an intergalactic bike courier, she's always on drugs, huper-aware, and a total speed freak, so there's nothing on board but room for her to lie down and pilot, a cargo bay, and an overcharged engine. It doesn't even have a landing gear, it just hovers.

tumblr_o6u74rK34v1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    edited June 2022 #286
    I think the old Video camera as Cargo ship would work well! I have done a few ships that are at least in part, inspired by real objects, the lifters on this shuttle were inspired by a baby monitor I have:

cw0te67xn200.jpg
    9g0c0z6v4zbf.jpg
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Nice find.

Okay, here's some more...

tumblr_o75lvvct3X1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    This is my rough draft attempt at designing an Alien-style interior. Not nuts about it, but I like the idea of everything being folded away and pull-out. I was thinking one entire wall would be a video screen to be a virtual window (I've been watching a lot of those "relaxing" videos on Youtube and Amazon, can you tell?)

tumblr_o75m0raGQx1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Mr Figg, one of the crewmembers on Keeley's new ship (that the video camera ships were being designed for). I got inspired by some undersea creature, but I can't recall which. I don't think it was a whale.

tumblr_o75m32N3rP1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    So earlier on here, I shared some designs for some super-flat futuristic phones I wanted to use for my projects. Well, I figured some characters might not have the newest and best phones, so I needed to step back, design the clunkier old flip phone versions. I don't think these are quite "it," either... the triangular wedges intrigue me, but they don't look quite plausible yet.
    A little bit more.

tumblr_o7b7qiCo8a1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

There was this old Best Buy catalog from 1994 that appeared on Reddit, and I was hit witha tidal wave of nostalgia. Like the pure pain-in-the-heart kind. I don't know why. But I got the inspiration to take all those generic beige boxes and stick 'em together, to create a computer that we all had at the time, regardless of if we were Mac or PC or Linux people. And yes, the OS would be a mash-up too, Mac OS 8 meets NeXt meets Windows 3 point whatever.

tumblr_o7b7rxlt5S1u9hwe3o1_r1_1280.jpg

Landing bays, inspired by the shape of the styrofoam buffers that came with my new scanner. I should add some more business, but really shouldn't until I know what kind of ship or space station they're attached to. I'd also like to add little bits like grabbing claws, loading tech, that kind of thing.
    BolianAdmiral
    Rough idea for a space pirate's ship called "The Backbreaker." I obviously wanted it to look like a skeleton, and it might move like a Chinese Dragon. I do need to design a midsection in the style of a proper pirate ship that would be in the middle like a saddle.

tumblr_o8305oh7sm1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

And some non-ships... I had a micro-obsession the other day for weird MX Keys, and that inspired these weird designs.

This thing is inspired by distortion boxes, maybe it's a Reality Distortion Box.

tumblr_o8303jBIPa1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

And here's just me trying to design some keys, it wound up looking like the most useless control panel ever.

tumblr_o8303jBIPa1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg
    Awesome "BackBreaker"! Dragon ship...
    Thanks. A friend of mine threw the name "Captain Cutspine," and that immediately made me think of a spine-ship. The other ships in his fleet would probably look like a mix between olde pirate ships and serrated knives, but his flagship should be unique, especially in it's "sunk" style. And hey, it merges two cool Japanese mech designs I like, the dragon from DaiRanger and the Shocker Ship from Kamen Rider Black.
    More of the unnamed Anubis A130 ship. Tried to give it some sports car attitude, and I also included some reference pics.

tumblr_o8e76kEKBE1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

Those 4-square headlight thrusters I was thinking might probably work better on a Starfleet ship. I'm sure I have better headlights/taillights that would work, but I'm transferring my old files to a new hard drive so my old files aren't easily accessible.
    Very cool!, Looking at this I'm seeing the "Tumbler" from Dark Night too...
    I can see that now, too. you know, ever since Interstellar was announced, I wanted to design the Tumbler as a spaceship (though not like this).

Also, when the first preview fo rthe third Dark Knight film came out and we saw the Batwing flying about, in my head I thought it was the Tumbler, but it's wheels turned over like the Deloreon so it could fly. I want to design that, too!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Getting more of a Bladerunner Police Spinner vibe from the front farings/lift modules, especially in that view of it landed. Looks interesting.
    I drew a lot of inspiration from the spinner as well, you can see that in some of the previous pieces. All things considered, I would like to go for more of a Mead style for it, if only b/c that would make it a bit easier to draw.

The bits in front though aren't hover-things like the police spinner, though. I sort of picture them as being the transporter rooms, but instead of de-materializing, they lift the person up in a beam of light. The two can act like spotlights.

The back of it... I didn't want to do a one-line engine thing, originally it was going to be two thrusters on each side where the shoulder buttons would be and a yacht-style back between them. That still feels a bit ideal because you can imagine the spaces there, the rooms and the views out the windows.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like it. I could see it working in a number of existing Sci-Fi universes or one of your own creation. :)
    Some more artwork from the last week.

tumblr_o90f88BIvG1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

I call this the stealth croissant, since that's what inspired the shape.

tumblr_o90f88BIvG1u9hwe3o3_1280.jpg

Concepts for tattoos for a character who's only referred to as "Vee," because of the shape of her tattoo (not sure where it's placed on her yet, though).

tumblr_o90f88BIvG1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

A slight update to an old robot, I think I saw him on a tokusatsu tumblr, I'm not quite sure. I like his tin toy natures and I wanted to play with it a little more. There might be another step or two of evolution after it.
    tumblr_o9txh6y9Qq1u9hwe3o2_1280.jpg

I had this idea for a facility that was created and run by machines, and looks like a giant PC, so it made total sense that the ships that service it would look like giant floppy discs (I also like the idea of flying saucers landing on a CD tray, but the disks win out).

Edit: Here's my quick sketch on the interior:

tumblr_oa8jdm5jfO1u9hwe3o1_540.jpg

I'm trying to think of how to make the cells unique, the single occupancy design is pretty much what I was thinking for H4D35, and the double occupancy looks too traditional. I'm trying to make it look more like a spaceship interior.

tumblr_o9txh6y9Qq1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg

And this is one of the robots that works there, hanging off the ceiling and running on rails. It can fold to any shape to do whatever it needs to. Once I realized it was four units, I thought "hey! what if I made the panels the ones from that computer that shows up in veery scifi movies?" I think that having them al be screens would be more futuristic, but I couldn't resist trying that out.
    Another ship that I saw in my head, an automated starship that travels from one intergalactic prison facility to another, intended to make all your dreams come true. Of course, it doesn't always work as intended.

tumblr_oa8jfk6u8q1u9hwe3o1_1280.jpg
    Quick mock-up of what I imagine the control panels in the new Discovery might look like.

tumblr_oav061xKBM1u9hwe3o1_r1_1280.jpg