Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Galaxy Class Eneterprise D Renders ("Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k40 Posts: 0Member
edited October 2012 in Looking for... #1
Hi, everyone. This is my first post on this site, and just so you all know, I'm illiterate in all things related to 3D design programs. I'm an avid Photoshop junkie, but not much else.

Since the Blu-Ray releases are starting to come out for the "Next Generation" TV series, I've decided to try and make some custom cover artwork for 6-disc Vortex cases. However, I'm very short on source material, and was directed to this site by a friend.

What I'm really looking for are highly-detailed, very large renders of the main "Enterprise D" ship. Vectors would be even better if you have them, but TIFFs or PNGs would work, too. I'm no expert on lighting and such, but I'd prefer there be no backgrounds. Here's some images, just for inspiration. I'm curious to see what everyone here comes up with. Thanks! :)

Josh

Enterprise_D.jpg
star-trek-the-next-generation-starship-uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-d.jpg
Star_Trek_USS_Enterprise_leaving_orbit_freecomputerdesktopwallpaper_p.jpg
870459-bigthumbnail.jpg
Post edited by Moviefan2k4 on
Tagged:

• count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Are you asking for renders of the model to use, or just reference images of the model to make your own 3d enterprise?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    I think he's looking for renders.
  • traqtraq0 Posts: 0Member
    ...Vectors would be even better if you have them, but TIFFs or PNGs would work, too.
    ...and where have you seen 3d renders in a vector format?
    why would renders be "better" in a vector format?
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k40 Posts: 0Member
    Like I said, I don't know anything about 3D programs, other than that the results are called renders. I was under the impression it might be possible to save that kind of image as a vector file, but if not, that's fine. Either way, I'd really like a variety of large, high-quality, fully detailed renders of the Enterprise D, at different angles.
    3d renders are raster images, just like (for example) digital photographs. common formats are bmp, gif or png.

vector graphics are instruction sets for geometric drawings. common formats are svg, ai, or cdr.

If I understand you correctly, these are for personal use only? You might have better luck just searching for existing images to use. You shouldn't run into any copyright issues as long as you're using them privately in your own home. Of course, you may find some volunteers too.
    Yeah, I'm not out to make any money off these. I just want some great shots for my Blu-Ray covers, but Google images has turned up nothing. I've tried all sorts of terms, too.

I know some about the different vector formats, but my preferred one is EPS, since it lets you adjust the dimensions in Photoshop before rasterizing.
    I know some about the different vector formats, but my preferred one is EPS, since it lets you adjust the dimensions in Photoshop before rasterizing.

any vector can be resized before rasterizing. however, in the case of raster images, it would be pointless: putting a raster image into a vector image does not make that raster image "scalable." it's not "converted," it's just box full of pixels embedded into a vector image file. if you resize the vector image, you will see the same pixelation effects as if you simply resized the original raster image.
    traq wrote: »
    any vector can be resized before rasterizing.
    Not in Photoshop, it can't. SVG files won't open at all, and PDF documents only allow a PPI input. Some AI files will work, but they are restricted to the same techniques as PDFs.

So, for lack of a better explanation, I'd like infinitely scalable , fully detailed vectors of the Enterprise D, but very large PNGs or TIFFs would be a good substitute. I'd also like a variety of different angles, if folks don't mind providing them.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Well, there are no vector or scalable images of the Enterprise-D... there ARE lots of high-resolution "raster" renders of the ship.
    Well, if anyone has some that are of really high quality and size, then by all means, I'd love to have them.
    There's some nice pictures there, but I really need shots of the ship by itself, with the lighting and windows intact. No phasers, planets, other craft, stars...nothing. I'm making my own Blu-Ray covers, and would like to add the different elements myself.
    Not in Photoshop, it can't. SVG files won't open at all, and PDF documents only allow a PPI input. Some AI files will work, but they are restricted to the same techniques as PDFs.
    If that's the case, that would be photoshop's fault. (and PDF is not a vector format - it's not even an image format.)
    There's some nice pictures there, but I really need shots of the ship by itself, with the lighting and windows intact. No phasers, planets, other craft, stars...nothing. I'm making my own Blu-Ray covers, and would like to add the different elements myself.
    With such specific and strict requirements, you may need to consider hiring someone to make custom renders (hopefully, someone who already has a suitable model).
    If that's the case, that would be Photoshop's fault. (and PDF is not a vector format - it's not even an image format.)
    Photoshop has a save setting for PDFs, and I've come across some vector logos in that format.
    With such specific and strict requirements, you may need to consider hiring someone to make custom renders (hopefully, someone who already has a suitable model).
    Its not that specific of a request; just digital renders of the Enterprise D, lit properly, from various angles, with no background.
    Photoshop has a save setting for PDFs, and I've come across some vector logos in that format.
    in both cases, you're talking about an image file that is embedded (contained) in a PDF.
    Its not that specific of a request; just digital renders of the Enterprise D, lit properly, from various angles, with no background.
    Have you -found- any existing images that are suitable? That's a good indication that they're fairly unusual requirements.

I don't mean to be argumentative or to discourage you. I'm only offering my observations and advice.
    Have you found any existing images that are suitable? That's a good indication that they're fairly unusual requirements. I don't mean to be argumentative or to discourage you. I'm only offering my observations and advice.
    No offense, but if I had anything suitable, I wouldn't have registered with this website, and started this topic.
    no offense taken.
  • wjasperswjaspers332 Posts: 0Member
    ...and where have you seen 3d renders in a vector format?
    why would renders be "better" in a vector format?

Renders in vector format are scalable without quality loss (rendered as shapes, not as pixels). Never ask yourself why huge posters do not have pixellation?
    3d renders are raster images, just like (for example) digital photographs. common formats are bmp, gif or png.

That's not entirely correct, you will need a renderer that can render, vector renders, or an addon/script which can do it.
    in both cases, you're talking about an image file that is embedded (contained) in a PDF.

Nope, it is a vector image contained in the PDF file.

And before someone asks, I do not have such a vector renderer, nor addon, nor script, and I do not have an Enterprise D :)
    OK, so getting back to the point of this topic: if anyone has large, high-quality renders of the Enterprise D, preferably with no backgrounds, please post them. Thank you. :)
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    What angle do you want? I don't know anything about vectors but I can save them in several formats in photoshop.
    TIFFs or PNGs would be the best formats, and the first post has some images for inspiration. I'm all for having a wide variety of them. As for size, I'd like them to be at least 6,000 pixels wide or high on average. Thanks.
    give me a few days, I'll get them sometime next week. I have to teach an astronomy class tomorrow night.
    Any progress yet, Lonewriter? Also, if anyone else has what I'm looking for, please post. :)
    Sorry, I've been away from my pc, I'll do them tonight. Will you pm me your email addy, I'm not sure if you can upload tiff or png format here.
    How does this look? The Galaxy class mesh is by Prologic9
    97956.jpg
    test.jpg 202.4K
    Not too bad, but it looks more like a toy. I'd like something closer to the actual episodes and films.
    This is the best mesh there is but I can play with the lighting.
    Very nice, but I need bigger renders with no backgrounds; could you do it?
    Very nice, but I need bigger renders with no backgrounds; could you do it?

That's what I did, I'm still waiting on your email addy so I can send you the pics.
This discussion has been closed.