Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DTalon's starship designs of miscellany

TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
edited April 2017 in Work in Progress #1
With this thread I guess I'm making a statement of intent. Have been recently updating my on-line portfolio:

www.haroldwithers.co.uk

Which was in need of a much overdue update. I hadn't updated it for over 4 years which is just criminal. My copy of Dreamweaver went the way of the Dodo which kinda scuppered any efforts to update it, but getting a new copy recently gave me the chance to do a bit of a clear out and spruce up, and now she's ready to set sail on the interwebs again with stacks of brand new content.

While going through the samples during the updating process I realised there were a raft of ship designs, be those concept designs developed for a game which didn't get used, or underdeveloped personal projects. For example, prior to working on First Strike I was developing my own rich sci-fi universe which I fully intend to get back to at some point. So there are designs for vehicles and characters from that in the mix, also potential designs for craft intended for use in First Strike, but have not yet been (or are not likely to be) developed. Some may be in sketch form, others basically blocked out in 3d.

My intent is to post a few of these designs here for feedback, and for the designs that people like I might actually get off my arse and take them to the next level and fully complete them. Or alternatively if anyone else fancies building them if they like the look of a design they can feel free to do so.

So with First Strike still currently first and foremost on my dancecard this probably won't get updated or go that much further just yet, but seeing feedback on some of these designs might give me the impetus to get cracking on a few of these old birds.

So below are a few of the designs I'm talking about. As ever feedback is more than welcome.

These first designs are unused concepts from Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter.

Shuttle02.jpg

Shuttle.jpg

Rickshaw01.jpg

Rickshaw02.jpg

Super killer Ship 01.jpg

Super killer Ship 02.jpg
97603.jpg
97604.jpg
97605.jpg
97606.jpg
97607.jpg
97608.jpg
109072.jpg
Post edited by TALON_UK on
Tagged:

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    This one is for a transport design that may be used in First Strike as a counter to the Imperial's Lambda or Sentinel shuttles. After all the Rebels can't be hijacking the Empire's hardware every time they need a space/air transport.

Agrippa_Spacecraft.jpg

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of the Sentinel, I wouldn't mind taking the current in game model I built for First Strike, untextured version pictured below...

Sentinel_Render_02.jpg

...and beef it up to a more fully detailed high poly version, who knows? Might sit comfortably in the Imperial hangar I've just built.

...and here are a few designs from that sci-fi universe I mentioned earlier. The first is an Orion Starfighter, I like the body, but the wing panels are just too derivative of a TIE Interceptors, so I'd want to do something quite different with those.

OrionStarfighter.jpg

These next two pictures feature a small airspeeder like aircraft customised to allow it to make planetfall from orbit and be capable of short distance space travel. I quite like this design and reckon it could be well worth detailing up in 3d.

Comicbook_Planetfall_01.jpg

Comicbook_Planetfall_02.jpg

The following ship is the vessel of one of the principle characters, so I'd like to work this one up into a fully highly detailed model at some point with an intricate fully realised interior which would see plenty of action.

TalonShip01.jpg

TalonShip04.jpg

Finally we have a design which is obviously not of my own, but a model I built a long time ago of one of my fave designs. A Babylon 5 Earthforce Starfury. I want to revisit this model at some point, as it currently just has the seperate parts sunk into each other, and I'd like to rectify that by attaching all the parts correctly so that you have smooth joins between the engines and wings, and perhaps work on a cockpit interior too.

Starfury_Render_01.jpg

Right, so there are a few of the designs and what not I intend to put some time and effort into working up at some point.

Let me know what you guys think of 'em.
    97610.jpg97611.jpg97612.jpg97613.jpg97614.jpg97615.jpg97609.jpg97620.jpg
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    All very fresh.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    So far my fav is the shuttle02.jpg from your first posting. That is one I'd like to see in 3D :thumb:
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    great stuff!
    cavebear wrote: »
    So far my fav is the shuttle02.jpg from your first posting. That is one I'd like to see in 3D :thumb:

That's quite interesting that, as that is the closest shuttle design to the one that actually got used in the game. They went with a design I did which had a different engine configuration at the back, but the rest was essentially the same. Nice choice.

Ohh, or did you mean Shuttle 02 as it appears on my website? Which would be the first one that appears in the first post on here? If so that's also a good choice as that was my fave design which I'd have liked to have seen go into the game. There's just a bit more going on with that design.

Either way, good choice.
    The first one :)
    Shuttle02.jpg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Wow. I'm SUPER impressed. Beautiful stuff. I like the Killer Ship in the first post and I like your Orion Star fighter as is, even though it evokes a Tie intercepter.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice portfolio site. :) I like the first three in the first post and the first one in the 2nd post a lot. The others are good, but those are my favorites. :)
    Cheers for the kind comments guys.
    What do you do the drawings with?
    Sorry, somehow missed this post until now. These drawings are just standard pen and ink illustrations. The earlier ones are then finished off with markers for the shading and what not, with the latter ones I take the straight black and white line work and scan them in the computer and finish off with shading in Photoshop over the original hand drawn line work.

Oh, and then there was also the Orion starfighter which I did a little experimentation with creating several layers of illustration featuring the inner workings of the ship. The version you see here is just all the line work layers all gathered together, but for the final piece I then printed them out on to acetate sheets so you could layer up the detail with a final sheet showing the outer hull. I then painted onto the line work on the acetate to complete the effect and then you could flip each layer up to reveal the guts of the ship's concept design. Will have to dig that out sometime, haven't checked out the original piece in years.
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    I really dig this thread... and I know what you mean, I have atleast a thousand, unfinshed, models/projects on my main computer alone. And it's literally a @$%#^ shame how many unfinished ones I have on my external drives. I really need to get to work on those. Great work, it's really refreshing to see some good old fashioned scetches btw; something I don't do nearly enough of anymore. :thumb:
    Cheers, yeah, tell me about it. It seems I have so many things going on at the moment that it feels like an age since I've just been able to sit down and get creative and do some modelling/design work. Going to have to set some time aside to do that soon or I'll end up going mental.

:argh:
    Sorry, I somehow missed your answer to my question till just now (going to have to get into the habit of subscribing to a thread). I would almost like to take a crack at that Orion starfighter with Tie like end pieces.

Anyway. Your work is beautiful. It isn't as easy to come up with new ship designs (given all that have come before) as one might think.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice concepts here.
    We could have used you on the SFM film project. Sadly that died a slow a painful death. :(
  • StarriggerStarrigger475 Posts: 698Member
    edited June 2022 #17
    Hey Talon_UK, really like your stuff, hope you don't mind I took a stab at the shuttle today. One thing I'm learning from this is that I tend to make my details too small. for instance I need to rework the engine cowlings, they need to be beefier and the fins are too small...

Now I can add some of your stuff to MY list of unfinished work... :)

z9t8z1v5gaal.jpg
    164oq15x6x8x.jpg
    qp50vvmqx265.jpg

Steve
    Post edited by Starrigger on
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    Cheers for the nice comments Freak, nice work Starrigger, that's a really good start on that shuttle design, this one didn't get used in the game it was concepted for, so this is the first time I've seen it in 3d. Literally all the crits I would give you, you've already given yourself, chunkier curvier cowlings on the engines, and perhaps you need to lengthen the front section a touch, is just really good to see it in 3d, interestingly out of all the designs featured in this thread, this is the one I was most interested in seeing someone work on, so good choice.
    edited June 2022 #19
    Take 2: Changed the cowlings and lengthened the front section

5lrisfeb28zl.jpg
    ntcugboj92ip.jpg
    okj3ql5ar8wo.jpg
    Cool, looks much better, really loving your take on this, nice details around the back too that you can't see in my original sketch. So that's what that bit looks like.

;)
    edited June 2022 #21
    More Detail...

3lnrjzq3msjq.jpg
    c2yi5bhlrv78.jpg
    05h89rnqkbcg.jpg
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Neat!
    But, somehow the tail and engines reminds me of the passenger liner in The 5th Element.
    Heh, I think you maybe thinking more of the bad guys' star fighters perhaps? Didn't they have a tri-wing engine configuration? The starliner was more like a naval cruise ship in design, that said, it has been that long since I saw The Fifth Element last I could be mistaken.

Anyway, looking at the additional detail to this ship, I like what is going on with the lift thrusters, especially the one under the nose which has a nice touch integrating the nozzle into the shape of the underside of the fuselage, but I'm not totally sold on the main thrusters to the rear, perhaps they just need to be better integrated into the rear cowling of the engines? Maybe if the cowling recess was curved and ran deeper like the front of them there would be more room to allow those thrusters to appear more integrated into the engine, perhaps if the thrusters were a bit longer as well that would help differentiate them from the lift thrusters too.

Really liking the near orbital shot, that is looking great, a real pleasure to see this coming together Starrigger, if you want any other pointers on the possible finer details just give us a shout. One other thing to consider is the fact that I envisioned this as a multitasking workhorse of a spacecraft with interchangeable modules, hence the reason why the passenger compartment is so boxy while the rest of the craft is fairly streamline. So I saw that passenger module as a detachable component which could be switched with a cargo or fuel tanker slug style module so that it could perform multiple duties in a similar fashion to the classic Eagle spacecraft from Space 1999, so when it comes to the finer detailing you might want to take that into consideration in case you wanted to add latches or locking mechanisms of some sort to suggest this detachable nature of the module. Anyway great to see this developing as I said earlier, looking forward to seeing more, thanks for putting the time and effort into realizing this design in 3d, it's much appreciated.
    edited June 2022 #24
    Some new changes to the Shuttle: Changed the cockpit view ports, to give it a since of scale.. changed the rear part of the engines too. I think the landing gear will also need rethinking if I make the cargo boxes interchangeable.

2mq4ht91ebjt.jpg
    fketf6wwz86d.jpg
  • JafitJafit0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not a fan of the top engine pod. I think it unbalances the ship and would cause it to pitch downwards if those engines were used.
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    The A380-ness of the front is very nice...retro even...
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    I like this. :)

For the landing pads if you do make the cargo pods interchangeable I'd suggest one on each side engine/wing and one on the base of the "nose". Looking really good. :)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Also digging it. It actually makes me think of the ship from the original Total Recall.
  • DGWilliamsDGWilliams0 Posts: 0Member
    Jafit wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the top engine pod. I think it unbalances the ship and would cause it to pitch downwards if those engines were used.

Agreed. If you swapped the position of the engines with that radiator section below it, I think that would bring a great deal of balance to the design.
    DGWilliams wrote: »
    Agreed. If you swapped the position of the engines with that radiator section below it, I think that would bring a great deal of balance to the design.

I had to take a look at the last posted picture and I think you have something there. It would make sense to switch them around.
    edited June 2022 #31
    I believe the point is well taken.. I think this addresses the unbalance while keeping with the spirit of the original sketch.

exwtdlrb3d0o.jpg
    0mckfrg8db2x.jpg
    vhoaawz4gzrt.jpg