Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaedalus-class Reboot

evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
IA’ve been wanting to do a Daedalus-class ship from Star Trek for a while now. Originally, IA’d planned on doing the design commonly referred to as A“Daedalus-Class,A” the USS Horizon from SiskoA’s office. Though, the only canon Daedalus-class ship is the USS Essex and it was never seen on screen. Anywho, I got the idea to do this model (again) after Steve Neill restored the original Horizon and did a customer build of his self-molded kit a while back. IA’d done one years ago, but it went kaput in a hard drive failure. Unfortunately, what kept me from doing the DS9 model was a lack of decent references. All I have are a few pictures not showing the entire model, both from when it was labeled A“EssexA” for the ST Chronology and when it was labeled A“HorizonA” for DS9. Other than that, I have incorrect fan schematics and a render sheet of Doug DrexlerA’s model he made for the ST New Voyages episode In HarmA’s Way. Unfortunately, the renders on that sheet are all perspective views, rather than true top, side, etc. orthographic renders, so using them was possible but the perspective might have thrown things off. That was a real setback, because Doug did a really lovely model based off of the original desktop model (an advantage to working at Paramount ;) ) and I was going to use those until I was prepping them and I noticed the perspective issue.

So, there I was ready to do a Daedalus-class but I had so-so references. However, then I was looking at an article by Bernd Schneider on his site (Ex Astris Scientia) regarding the Daedalus-class and I found a fan-made reboot design by Christopher Freeman, AKA Aehternaut. IA’d seen the design years ago on this site, but I had forgotten about it.

daedalus-aethernaut.jpg?w=500

This design is a more modern take on the Daedalus-class that takes the show Enterprise and Doug DrexlerA’s NX-01 into account. I like it, so I decided to model it. As you can see, the schematics are a 3-view, which gives me plenty to go by but also leaves some room for interpretation and throwing in my own things. Also, I will be changing a few things. One notable change is having the blue stuff on the warp engines only on the inside. This change is to go more with DougA’s more recent A“Season 4″ NX refit, where he added a secondary hull and A“cappedA” the outer warp blue stuff. (among other things)

Anywho, IA’ve been picking at this for a few days and this is where I am:

dae_reboot001.jpg?w=500

dae_reboot002.jpg?w=500

dae_reboot003.jpg?w=500

dae_reboot004.jpg?w=500

Up next is probably some grid lines. IA’ve been avoiding them but they need to be done. ;)
97116.jpg
Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,564Member
    Wow... you are off to an absolutely beautiful start! I'll be watching this build! :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You're going to be watching? Does this mean I have to start wearing clothes when I'm working? :p
    ^

LOL... well, that's entirely up to you, good Sir. :p
  • Beda of BorgBeda of Borg0 Posts: 0Member
    Good start!!! :DD

IA’ve been worked also a time ago on this beauty ;)

Eberswalde.jpg
    97117.jpg
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    Looks really nice. I wish there had been more 'older' ships like this in the various series and movies.
    Thanks guys. :D Something based off of the "older" designs such as the Horizon from Sisko's office is what the art dept. on Enterprise wanted to do. However, the art dept. wasn't paying the bills and the people who were wanted something more "familiar." And they liked the Akira-class. At least Doug talked them into letting him change it, they wanted to use it exactly as it appeared in First Contact, DS9 and Voyager. But, as much as I like the NX, I'd have liked for them to go with something more like the Daedalus-class also.
    Good start!!! :DD

IA’ve been worked also a time ago on this beauty ;)

Nice looking model. :D
  • NXNNXN0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful looking ship. I'll be watching this as well.
  • Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    This is the EXACT image that got me doing my deck plans, although I haven't followed it faithfully. The model looks great, cant wait to see more.
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Beautiful work so far! I agree that this or something like it would have made a more convincing NX-01 for Enterprise, too bad about that. Can't wait to see more of this one!
  • NBTrekieNBTrekie331 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know if you got these three images, they are from a way back when ST-One (I think?) started to build the Daedalus:

backendwl4.jpg

nacelleendcq0.jpg

sternbayarrangementqi3.jpg

I grabed those back in the day and I found them somewhat usefull when I started building my Daedalus, though in the end I stuck to the more "traditional" end caps for the nacelles:

daedalus_back.jpg
    97136.jpg97137.jpg97138.jpg97139.jpg
    Thanks a lot everyone. Hopefully I'll get back to work on this tonight, after work. If not, definitely tomorrow.
    NBTrekie wrote: »
    I don't know if you got these three images, they are from a way back when ST-One (I think?) started to build the Daedalus:

backendwl4.jpg

nacelleendcq0.jpg

sternbayarrangementqi3.jpg

I grabed those back in the day and I found them somewhat usefull when I started building my Daedalus, though in the end I stuck to the more "traditional" end caps for the nacelles:

daedalus_back.jpg

I was trying to think of who did one of these a few years ago. It was you I was thinking of. I really enjoyed your work on this ship. Thanks for sharing the extra references. Are those drawings by Aethernaut? I may modify the end caps (or I may not because I have some ideas for that.) But I think I'll leave the back end of the engineering hull alone because it looks like I got that "right" anyway. Mine is very close to the drawing, I jut rounded the corner where it transitions to the back curve because I like how that looks. The other drawing showing the rear of the impulse engines and the shuttlebay doors will come very much in handy, though. So, thanks for those. :)
  • NBTrekieNBTrekie331 Posts: 0Member
    I was trying to think of who did one of these a few years ago. It was you I was thinking of. I really enjoyed your work on this ship.
    Thanks, it's nice to have ones work remembered. :)

Yes, afaik those are his drawings. The back of the ship is something I was never realy happy about, especialy the buttom side under the hangar bay.
    And I took some liberty with the impulse engines, had to do quite a few of those until I was somewhat happy with them.
    I'm still deciding if I want to go with his impulse engines or do my own thing. ;)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Your model is pretty good, and I'm a big fan of Christopher's work.
    I like the impulse engines of this ship very much, but if you're looking to do something different, now we know thanks to Steve Neill's work that the original model had the impulse engine at the back of the sphere rather than on the secondary hull.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I've been toying with the idea of putting them in both locations and giving the sphere the ability to separate. Though it was never shown on screen, I think the NX in its original configuration might have had that ability. Otherwise, why even have impulse engines in both the catamarans and the saucer?
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    Who knows? Maybe the original idea was to use the sphere to get to the ground while the warpengines would stay in orbit.
    That would have make some really interesting (but expensive) scenes imo ;)
    I was thinking more of an emergency evacuation kind of thing. The ship has a shuttlebay for landing. Plus, on Enterprise, they had transporters.

I put the nacelle end cap bit that NBTrekie provided to use and redid those.

dae_reboot005.jpg?w=500

I got it as close as I could to the drawing without rebuilding the whole thing. But, it’s a lot closer to what Aethernaut had, so I’m happy with it. As it is, I had to redo the internal stuff.

After doing that, I was all set to start on some grid lines when I realized that it would be a good idea to do the cut for the navigational deflector first. And, while I was at it, I did the deflector itself. It’s a pretty basic TOS-style deflector. The schematic called for a plain deflector like the NX had, but I added the “ridges” to the inside like the 1701 had. I’m happy with how it came out.

dae_reboot006.jpg?w=500

dae_reboot007.jpg?w=500

dae_reboot008.jpg?w=500

I opted for not a whole lot of detail inside the housing because the deflector is partly recessed and will cover up most anything inside there anyway.
    Nice updates... that deflector looks great, and I just love the pearl-white color of the hull... how did you make that?
    Thanks. It's just a basic WIP material I mixed up in trueSpace. I'm not in Windows right now, but I can post the settings later if you're interested.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    NBTrekie wrote: »

backendwl4.jpg

Started and never finished it.

Your work so far looks very good, evil_genius
  • alonzo11208alonzo11208331 Posts: 0Member
    This looks good Evil! I always like the Daedalus class vessel because of its 'unique' shape.

Always thought itd be a good launching point for Enterprise, but instead we got the NX-01 :/.
    Thanks everyone. :)
    Always thought itd be a good launching point for Enterprise, but instead we got the NX-01 :/.

Thank Berman and Braga for that one. Apparently, the art dept. wanted to do something more like the Daedalus, but those guys got fixated on the Akira-class.
    I wouldnt even waste a sarcastic thank you and your the bestestest on the Killer Bs. Thats giving them too much credit -_-
    You don't know a lot about Doug Drexler, do you? ;)

Look, you can (obviously) believe what you want, but I guarantee you that this guy didn't want it to go the way it did. However, he was hired by guys who cut their teeth in the TNG-era and who had no respect for what had been done with TOS. They claimed they did but then they made boneheaded mistakes like putting the K't'inga-class in an episode, the Borg, the Ferengi, giving the Romulans cloaking devices, calling Klingon ships "warbirds," among others. (though, Braga did admit that the "warbird" thing was a mistake) I guarantee you, if Doug had been given a choice in the matter, the NX wouldn't have existed. They'd have likely gone with something more like the Daedalus-class, or at least something less evolved than what we got. But, Berman and Braga liked the Akira-class and that's what they wanted. They thought it was a "minor" ship and fans wouldn't notice, which shows you how out of touch they are. They also wanted to use it EXACTLY as it appeared in First Contact and the various shows that followed, but Doug talked them into letting him change it. He put as much TOS into the NX as they would allow him to, but some of his decisions were overruled. So, it is what it is. Overall, the series is actually good, if you get past the things they did. But, with the huge temporal incursion in First Contact, you can also argue that it takes place in an alternate reality. ;)
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Wasn't even Berman and/or Braga. Was way above them, it was the execs at the top of Paramount that did it. Rick Berman might be an extremely homophobic, self-righteous, money obsessed tosser (and I don't mind Braga, I have to admit) but it wasn't anywhere near their choice either, as far as I'm aware.
    Admitted as much as Enterprise rubbed me the wrong way as a ST brand, it actually was nice when it had nothing to do with ST lol. For me the best season was its last and the Mirror verse two part season cliffhanger was GREAT!!! Disappointed they couldn't finish it. And did I mention the 'Dark Theme" for those two episodes was better than the original.

And I'll say this too. As much as Enterprise rubbed me wrong, nothing can do worse than VOY. -_-

There was ike one or two episodes I liked, including the one where its 'Warship Voyager. ("Fire at will, hail them" that had to be Janeway's bet line ever xD). And of course there was Jeri Ryan.

But I disgress! I wanna see more of the Swift D!
    I like Enterprise and Voyager. Really, I like all of the series, but my favorite is TNG. That's what was on when I was a kid. :)
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    Wasn't even Berman and/or Braga. Was way above them, it was the execs at the top of Paramount that did it. Rick Berman might be an extremely homophobic, self-righteous, money obsessed tosser (and I don't mind Braga, I have to admit) but it wasn't anywhere near their choice either, as far as I'm aware.

Ah, I see. I just know somebody from "on high" (way above the art department's pay grade) laid down the law on what was and what wasn't going to be the ship. Whoever decided it, we got a modified Akira-class. Personally, I like the NX, but I would still have liked to have seen them go in another direction with it.