Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBack to the Future 2015

• BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm fairly certain you already have seen this, but just in case, I figured I'd share it... might have some useful references.

http://provine.blogspot.com/2010/10/back-to-future-2-concept-art.html

Thanks. I did already have those, but it's always possible I've missed good links. :thumb:
    Along that vein, here's some more 2015 concept art-- including a rather sizable poster for Jaws 19.

http://t.co/CfMcN6hFjs

I don't think those vehicle pics. Thanks.

Slight update on the courthouse. I've almost finished the top arch section now, and I managed to find a font that with a bit of editing is fairly close to the original for the "HILL VALLEY COURTHOUSE MALL" lettering.

Getting close to done on it now! New pic is a super high res render.
    101044.jpg
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    That is epic... I love the reflective look to the glass, too.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann630 Posts: 1,286Member
    I took a high res photo of the Puma statues when I was at Universal Studios, I have to find that.

BTW, I love that new photo. Will we be able to go INTO the Courthouse? Or through the underground/underwater shops? I'm sure I asked that before.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The court house is looking great.
    I know your still working on the Puma, but the one on the right needs to be re-angled. as it is coming though the egde it sits on.
    I took a high res photo of the Puma statues when I was at Universal Studios, I have to find that.

BTW, I love that new photo. Will we be able to go INTO the Courthouse? Or through the underground/underwater shops? I'm sure I asked that before.

At this point I only plan to build what is seen on screen in the movie, so I will include the small bit of the courthouse interior you see when Griff & co smash through the glass, but that's it. I'm not sure how far I'll take the underground tunnel. If it's necessary, I may extrapolate slightly to make it more realistic, because I want the end result to feel like a recreation of Hill Valley 2015, not a recreation of just a movie set.
    And if you can find that puma pic, that would be great!

Freak wrote: »
    The court house is looking great.
    I know your still working on the Puma, but the one on the right needs to be re-angled. as it is coming though the egde it sits on.

The reason for that is because I was working from a photo from an exhibit with a different, taller pedestal, so I temporarily built the pedestal to match. The angle itself should be perfect, the pedestal just sits about 2" too low and into the ground.
    Oh, I know where it is, I just haven't gotten that hard drive hooked up.

I just... I SO want to explore this world when it's done, I wanna peek around the corners that I didn't get to in the movie (I'm trying to remember what was on the other side of the alley in Universal Studios, thinking if you go in the alleyway you can see down where Marty Jr was walking around. BTTF is my fave movie so I'm quite keen on this project.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Perhaps this is one of the most unique productions on SCI FI MESHES I've ever seen (rivaling that of Enterprise DECK by Deck Maybe)

I'm trying to learn 3D studio Max so I could do things just like this to create entire cities to rent to movie studios. I'd love to work with you Van Dam if I ever get good enough.
    I've found a better font for the "HILL VALLEY COURTHOUSE MALL" text, and finished the crown moldings (the fancy edging). I also grabbed a copy of the 1982 movie "Cat People", which it turns out is the movie the cat statues were originally made for (interesting trivia there). I got some more good reference shots from that which I'll use once I get back to those.

Oh, I know where it is, I just haven't gotten that hard drive hooked up.

I just... I SO want to explore this world when it's done, I wanna peek around the corners that I didn't get to in the movie (I'm trying to remember what was on the other side of the alley in Universal Studios, thinking if you go in the alleyway you can see down where Marty Jr was walking around. BTTF is my fave movie so I'm quite keen on this project.

That would be my ultimate goal, to get this as a realtime walkthrough in 3D using Unity3D (which I know pretty well). But considering I haven't even made the basic buildings yet, I won't get too far ahead of myself for now. :lol: But it's my favourite movie scene of all time, and it's so inspiring, so I'd love to be able to experience it like that.

Saquist wrote: »
    Perhaps this is one of the most unique productions on SCI FI MESHES I've ever seen (rivaling that of Enterprise DECK by Deck Maybe)

I'm trying to learn 3D studio Max so I could do things just like this to create entire cities to rent to movie studios. I'd love to work with you Van Dam if I ever get good enough.

I'm glad people are enjoying following this project. :thumb:
    If you ever want any help or tips learning 3DS Max, you're free to hit me up on Skype or email or whatever.
    101052.jpg
    Nice.
    Here's my pics of the statues. They're a little too high res to be board-friendly, so I'll just link 'em.

http://www.emilysbrother.com/forum-posts/panther-1.jpg
    http://www.emilysbrother.com/forum-posts/panther-2.jpg
    Here's my pics of the statues. They're a little too high res to be board-friendly, so I'll just link 'em.

http://www.emilysbrother.com/forum-posts/panther-1.jpg
    http://www.emilysbrother.com/forum-posts/panther-2.jpg

Thanks so much. Those are definitely the best images I've seen of the statues, so they will be very helpful! :)

Only slight progress. I spent far too long trying to get the windows accurate. There wasn't any good close-up reference, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I think it looks good. I also fixed up the doorway slightly to make it more accurate. That's not perfect either, but it's close enough.
    101102.jpg101103.jpg101104.jpg
    the door looks good.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    I run into the Production Designer for this movie from time to time. If the opportunity comes up I'd be happy to show him what you're doing. I think he'd appreciate it. :)
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Did they rebuild the square the same as before? The court house was pretty much the only structure that survived the fire.

Funny you should mention that: The "Hill Valley" they built for the third movie, out in the middle of a desert in California, burnt down due to.... a lightning strike.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,565Member
    ^

Irony can be damned ironic, ironically.
    They left that western town standing?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    They left that western town standing?
    It was in the middle of nowhere.
    Why should they have wasted money on tearing it down when it might have been of use for something in the future?
    I thought it was an environmental law or something.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The courthouse is looking great so far. :)
    NanoGator wrote: »
    I run into the Production Designer for this movie from time to time. If the opportunity comes up I'd be happy to show him what you're doing. I think he'd appreciate it. :)

Seriously? That's cool! Hopefully it's up to the standard of the original set. :cool:
    The courthouse is looking great so far. :)

Thanks. I think this is actually turning out to be the most accurate building so far.

More minor updates. I'm working on the sides of the courthouse at the moment. You don't see it from the side all that much relatively speaking, but that doesn't mean I'll be skimping!
    If you notice on the left side of the building, there are those 3 dark blocks jutting out. They have some Japanese text on them that I've been unable to identify, so if anyone here can translate Japanese and wouldn't mind helping out, I'll post it.
    101122.jpg101123.jpg
    I'd need to see an actual picture of them. They look like shop signs, though oddly placed. I dunno... I know I've never noticed them before.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    I would as well. I might be able to translate them. Got a time code on the blurays or a pic?
    Looking great. I didn't even know those signs existed. :shiner:
    Looking great. I didn't even know those signs existed. :shiner:

Neither did I! I hadn't spotted them until now, and I only noticed them now because I'm specifically looking at that area.
    I'd need to see an actual picture of them. They look like shop signs, though oddly placed. I dunno... I know I've never noticed them before.

They're very oddly placed. I figure they're either related to the parking spaces behind them, or something else generically road related. I really have no context to guess what they mean.

I've attached the best photo I have of them, and since the bottom one is partially covered, I've pasted in the best I have from a movie screenshot. If anyone wants to spot them in the movie, you only see them for about two shots during the hoverboard chase, just after Marty grabs onto the back of the jeep, and the goons turn around. The two shots are at about 19:17 and 19:25 on mine.
    Some of the text is too small for me to pick out without knowing the language, but hopefully someone more familiar with Japanese can make them out enough to identify.
    101129.jpg
    I really need to get these movies on Blu-Ray. I used to have them on DVD, but they were among many DVDs stolen several years ago that I haven't replaced yet.
    This is about the time you figure out that you're going to go back in time and steal the DVDs from yourself in the past so you can have them in the future.
    Side windows are finished. I think that's the sides of the clock tower finished. I still need to build the storage shed behind it though.

I really need to get these movies on Blu-Ray. I used to have them on DVD, but they were among many DVDs stolen several years ago that I haven't replaced yet.

That sucks. At least the thief had good taste though. :D
    I really need to get them on Bluray too. I only have them on DVD, since I don't have a Bluray player/drive. They'll be the first movies I get when I do though.
    This is about the time you figure out that you're going to go back in time and steal the DVDs from yourself in the past so you can have them in the future.

But the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum and destroy the entire universe!
    101138.jpg
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    That sucks. At least the thief had good taste though. :D
    I really need to get them on Bluray too. I only have them on DVD, since I don't have a Bluray player/drive. They'll be the first movies I get when I do though.

I don't think they really cared what they stole, they probably pawned what they didn't want.

The windows look great. :)
    BlobVanDam wrote: »
    But the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum and destroy the entire universe!

Oh, that's a worst-case scenario, the destruction may be limited to merely our OWN galaxy.
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    This is such a great project! :) Loving watching this progress :)