Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAnother Trek Ship

OrinackraOrinackra0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hi guys, well work pretty much stalled on my Defiant model. I just had a complete brain freeze on it, so I put it aside and started on another ship. I came across this picture online, but I couldn't really find any real info on it... so if anyone has any details, I'd appreciate them!
starship-a-color.jpg

Anyways, onto the pics! Here she is next to my uncompleted Defiant. This is only a few hours worth of work, so there's a lot going to change. I'm having issues with the curves on the top of the engineering section. I'm not real sure if this will be a copy from the drawing, or if I'll just use it as a guide. I haven't decided on a number of decks yet, or even a name. Right now she's somewhere around 450m long, which I estimated using the escape pods as a point of reference. Two shuttle bays, and a non-separation saucer.
8-9-20127-11-16AM.png
8-9-20127-15-48AM.png
8-9-20127-16-58AM.png
8-9-20127-20-18AM.png
96938.jpg
Post edited by Orinackra on
Tagged:

• Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice design, I like the drawing you are using. Cant wait to see the saucer fleshed out a bit more.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That's a John Eaves concept drawing from Perpetual's attempt to make the game Star Trek Online (before Perpetual went belly-up.) Here's his original blog post from which that came:

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/starship-of-the-day/

That's a really nice start. I like this design a lot, so it's nice to see it being done in 3D. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice concept design, I quite like the look of this ship. I know it is early days with your model, but as it stands your warp nacelles when compared to the concept are way too fat. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • OrinackraOrinackra0 Posts: 0Member
    That's a John Eaves concept drawing from Perpetual's attempt to make the game Star Trek Online (before Perpetual went belly-up.) Here's his original blog post from which that came:

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/starship-of-the-day/

That's a really nice start. I like this design a lot, so it's nice to see it being done in 3D. :)
    Aw, excellent. I had no idea that there was another game in plans before Cryptic. I wish they could have built this ship... and some of the others I'm finding.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice concept design, I quite like the look of this ship. I know it is early days with your model, but as it stands your warp nacelles when compared to the concept are way too fat. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Yeah, I'm gonna fix that eventually. I built the nacelles a few weeks ago cause I was bored, so they are separate pieces.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, but I think you have the entire ship to flat along the Z axis. It may be why you are having issues with the curves on the engineering section. In Eaves drawing it's much lower with a rounder cross-section.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i like the flatter look
    Orinackra wrote: »
    Aw, excellent. I had no idea that there was another game in plans before Cryptic. I wish they could have built this ship... and some of the others I'm finding.

Suffice to say, I think a lot of people would be happier of they'd made the game instead of Cryptic. It was supposed to have been more of a Trek-type thing with more stuff to be done inside the ships and more Trek-type stuff, as opposed to the more or less hack and slash game we wound up getting. Plus, I agree, I like a lot of the concepts for the earlier attempt better than the ships Cryptic is putting out (especially the newest ones.) But, unfortunately, they went out of business before they could complete it.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Now that could become interesting... :)
    For the moment, I settled on 13 decks. I suspect that number is going to change, I plan to add at least two more to the bottom of the saucer, and possibly more designated for the nacelles. Each deck is 13 and a half feet tall (4.14m). Shuttle bay 1 is on deck 4, and shuttle bay 2 is on deck 10. I'm gonna have to do something about that though, because the door is 4 decks tall haha.
    Decklist.png
    Decklist2.png

The ship is very flat. It's 65m tall, almost 500 m long. So Enterprise length, Voyager height. I like it though, it's more sleek this way.

I still don't have a name, or class yet. I thought about Archer, or Eaves, but both are taken. Any suggestions? If nothing else comes to mind, I might use Holden, Monaro, Vauxhall or something similar, as I'm slightly obsessed with Aussie cars.

Ooh, that reminds me. I'm thinking of something like this for the bridge. Thoughts?
    http://www.deningart.com/images/Main_concept_STO_BridgePS.jpg
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    shuttles need some fly room you know its logical that the shuttle bays more then one deck and it gives more room for several shuttles u can dock them on the base floor then have a docking stations 2 decks up and yeah
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Actually this is a Tahoe-class ship. Don't know why the name isn't included on there.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member

I remember that thread...
    Yea probably not.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Monday Update:

I figure I better give this thing a name before too long, so this is what I came up with. Hopefully that number is taken... it was completely randomly picked.

Messed around with some materials for the hull, but I'm not quite sold on it. I don't know if my lighting is off or what, I'm gonna have to mess with it. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to switch to Max before long. And I re-used the escape pods from the other model.
    VauxhallTest4.jpg
    VauxhallTest5.jpg
    I probably won't have a chance to update this one regularly, but I'm hoping that next time I will have a substantial amount done. I'm getting married in October, and I'm hoping to have more time to play once that's over with.
    Congratulations on getting married. :D

The ship looks great so far. :thumb:
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Congrats on the marriage, and don't worry, this thread'll be here when you return.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    I probably won't have a chance to update this one regularly, but I'm hoping that next time I will have a substantial amount done. I'm getting married in October, and I'm hoping to have more time to play once that's over with.

From a married man to a future married man: believe me when I say you wonA’t have more time later. :D
    The updates are excellent. You can go very close in renderings and see perfectly all the details added.
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1661 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Starship wrote: »
    From a married man to a future married man: believe me when I say you wonA’t have more time later.

Yeah that jumped into my head too. Another fine ship. Nice!
    ugghhhh..... You guys are probably right. We were over a friend's house the other night, and they have a 14 month old.... and the husband goes.... I have no time for anything. It's exhausting. But it's worth it.

I'm not so sure. I know the future Mrs Mitch wants to have a baby in the near future, and we're thinking of buying a house soon. The only good thing there is that I'd like to find a house that has a bigger garage to house all my toys and tools, and an office. I have a bedroom dedicated as an office right now, but she's got her ironing board and some other crap in there, so it's not really mine. I want to build a new computer system, with two monitors that I can mount on the wall, I just can't do that now.

Onto the ship! I started on the 'bridge module'. I decided to make it a separate model and just paste it in, just in case the poly count gets too high. I figured out how I want the layout of deck 1 to be. Bridge, turbolift on the right, and on the left, a hallway that goes to a conference room, a bathroom, and the captain's ready room. I decided to make a Voyager style ready room with a huge window. I got the idea looking at Madkoifish's ship. IMO, every ready room needs a bar and some palm trees too. I wanted to map out the layout so I knew where to install windows, which I probably will put some on the sides, so you can see out from the conference room area at least. At the top of the steps, there will be a desk with some extra chairs, and the couches are leftover from a previous project, I will eventually make a new single long couch to go on that wall. Oh and more lights, cause it's super dark in there right now. It looks more light a lounge than an office haha.

VauxhallTest6.jpg
    VauxhallTest8.jpg

I hate to "cheap out" but I might reuse walls from my Defiant build. I loved them, and even though that model stalled, I see no reason to give up on them.