Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon D7 Project

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    A busy weekend so far, but I managed to slip in a little work. Boy the bottom of the main hull is curved in a way that is difficult to make out. I have started to work on it, but not there yet.

Went so far as to count the grates on the original image.

Edit: removed image to allow for other images.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Again I have to say...those engine details are stunning!
    Thanks my friend. As I said above, yours were cool too.
    I've completed more detail on the aft section enclosing the shuttle bay. I think this ship is going to be like a "Never-ending Pluto Station."
    98505.png
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    I've completed more detail on the aft section enclosing the shuttle bay. I think this ship is going to be like a "Never-ending Pluto Station."
    Only if you build the entire interior!
    Well that's true. I don't know that there is a map of the interior of one of these.
    After staring at the model photos, I realized I didn't have the inside of the rear of the engines right. Corrected in the image. So far the entire model has 72,870 polygons. The wire screen you see in the cutouts on the right is simplified. I first tried to do it as a real wire screen structure. To my amazement, this added over 200,000 polygons to the model for just the two screens on the two engines. Needless to say, they're gone.

Cheers
    97059.png
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Heheh, crazy level of detail, and the fact you attempted to do that tiny wire mesh detail as geometry is a testament to your madness.

:argh:

Nice work.

:thumb:
    Ahhh, the descent into madness.... Does Scifi meshes have a psychiatrist on staff?:p Thankx
    When you go to try to put armor plating and raised detail on surfaces you find out that things don't arrange on your surface correctly when the proportions aren't right. So... this isn't much of an update, but it is. I had to completely redo the main hull just so I could correctly arrange the detail on the front of the hull. The neck needs to be fixed too. Much happier with the new main hull.
    On track for greatness this one is.
    Thanks mikala. Time for some new angles on the mesh.
    98507.png98508.png
    Can't get the Klingon music out of my head.
    Keep them coming!
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    I know it's temp, but that blue is really unattractive. (I'm a TMP purist.) Otherwise that is GORGEOUS.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
    I just threw it on because of this picture. I believe there is some blue glow between the fins on the outside of the engines too. Of course the right way to do it is with a blue light. You're right though - I should have left all color out of it until surfacing the model.

mikala, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about, you mean that piece at the beginning of the Motion Picture when the 3 K'tinga class ships are attacking VGER. With the musical "clicking" sound as part of it. Ha! I have been playing that piece over and over in my head, every time I work on this.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    I personally like the ST:VI version... the lighting effects on the warp nacelles is nice... but I still like the TMP version as well...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I really loved the engines on the ST:VI version; really liked EBOLII's interpretation of the engines on the Motion Picture version, and find the engines in the Motion Picture version entirely acceptable. Personally I felt the rest of the ship on the ST:VI version was overdone. Kind of like fiddling with a painting too much and ruining it. For this first model, I am going for the Motion Picture ship upgraded with new prototype engines on it. Such a thing could have happened in the evolution of this class of ship. I'll probably build the Motion Picture engines to go with it too. It isn't very feasible to do all the brass etched parts on the ST:VI version. I wouldn't have the motivation anyway. Never liked them.
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    It isn't very feasible to do all the brass etched parts on the ST:VI version. I wouldn't have the motivation anyway. Never liked them.

Brass as in the modeling parts, or the material?

I've seen some very simple tutorials on how to make convincing brass materials, of course, that was for 3ds max...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Brass as in the modeling parts, or the material?

Lightwave has some brass surface textures built in. I mean the gazillian polygons necessary to depict the brass on ST:VI Kronos:argh:
  • Billynom8Billynom8186 Posts: 44Member
    i just realised, if those white dots are windows then that topedo tube is massive!! :o

Very nice work here BTW, very nice. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Having the Phase II version with just the Aztec might be nice.
    I'm probably doing that. At least I think I know what you mean. :)

On another note, I have been working all week on redoing the main hull once again in an effort to make it much more accurate to the original. I think I've nearly got it.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    I'm always curious how others model to a reference. Do you camera match it or eyeball it or what?
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    The shape of the tube may be a bit of a bother.
    Tallguy wrote: »
    I'm always curious how others model to a reference. Do you camera match it or eyeball it or what?

I use anything I can. Is "camera matching" what I was doing here on the Regula I station? (Post #14)
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?78051-Space-Station-Regula-I/page2

I think(?) I have a good eye but nothing beats being able to render it and overlay it over a picture. I realized the other day that there was a photo of the Motion Picture model from nearly directly above it. (The front / back shots of the same ship are useful for angles) The photo I had was small and not very useful, but I found a larger one. So I redid the shape of the body using the photo and am eyeballing the depth, trying to take into account the effect of perspective in the photo. Fortunately the hull is pretty flat. I need to start doing the camera view thing too, but there is no point if you are WAY off.
    Saquist wrote:
    The shape of the tube may be a bit of a bother.

Yeah, that you can only eyeball but I think I have it fairly close.
    This is not exactly right, but is much closer than I was. And I'm still working on it.

Edit: Removed old images to allow for others.
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Looks fantastic! A tip, the aft section is actually angled not flat.

ktingarear.jpg
    97277.jpg
    Are you talking about the section just beyond the outside of each impulse engine? And you're saying the underside is curved ever-so-slightly.
  • REL777REL7770 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, you can see it in this pic of the D7. The K'tinga is the same.

cruiser2.jpg
    97279.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Is that the dinky toy?