Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWIP - Space station tile set

JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I posted a WIP here. For the last three years + I've been focusing my creativity on writing and recording music, which meant I didn't have time for 3D work. Now I'm swinging back around to 3D.

At any rate, this WIP is a set of tiles similar to what I created for the Death Star surface. That one was sixteen distinct tiles, which were then copied, rotated, copied, etc. until they formed a complete landscape layout. It was publicly released here, on SciFi3D, and a few other sites, with the understanding that it would be used for non-commercial work and the images would credit my work on the mesh. Some assclown used my mesh as the basis for a physical model kit that he was going to sell for hundreds of dollars a pop. Legally, I couldn't stop him since I don't own the Death Star design. What that taught me was never to release a mesh that I don't own outright.

What does all of that have to do with this WIP? Well, I was about to start recording a video tutorial set for 3D-Palace, showing how to model the Death Star surface tiles and create surface layouts, trench layouts, and animated flyovers. That tutorial is still happening, only now it will be my original design, not ILM's. That way I own the rights to the mesh, and can legally stop anyone from using it improperly. In some ways I'm trying to evoke the style of the Death Star surface, without using any of the tile designs that ILM created.

Anyway, this tile set will consist of 25 tiles, rather than 16, to add some more variety. I'm basically designing as I go, and only doing some detailing to clear the cobwebs out, so to speak. These aren't the final configurations, or the final details, more proof of concept.

As always, thoughts and crits are appreciated.

Regards,

JL

This was my first pass at the new tile set, incidentally the first work I'd done in Max since at least 2009. Apologies for the ugly-assed copyright notice. I need to sit down and make one that I can paste into all of my shots that doesn't look like a deranged kindergarten student drew it in blood...
th_Jedilaw-StationConcept3.jpg

th_Jedilaw-StationConcept1.jpg th_Jedilaw-StationConcept2.jpg

While I was happy with some of those tiles, I wasn't completely satisfied, so I decided to take a fresh approach. I'm more pleased with these designs, though not completely firm that all of them will be used in the set.

th_JLStationConceptREDO3.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO2.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO4.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO5.jpg

Incidentally, for those who might be wondering what happened to my ISD project, I have a slower computer now than what I had when I started the project (my laptop cooked its video card). The laptop I'm using now just cries in the corner whenever I open the ISD file. While I want to work on it some more (maybe even finish it one day, God forbid), I'll need a major upgrade before I can do so.
96551.jpg
Post edited by Jedilaw on

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looking great! I love all the detais.
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I'd be sooo tempted to hide my house in one of those.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    rojren wrote: »
    I'd be sooo tempted to hide my house in one of those.

Hmmm, house as greeble. Nice! :)

Would be consistent with ILM including that tennis shoe in the asteroid field sequence of TESB.
    Update. Tweaking the style approach a bit. Also messing around with a blended material using standard raytrace mixed with an ink and paint.

th_JLStationConceptREDO6.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO7.jpg
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Filthy, but genuinely arousing....
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Like how you're now using the Death Star surface detail as a springboard and are now bringing your own style and influences to the party. Looking very good and quite distinctly different to the Death Star, looking forward to seeing more.
    Severus wrote: »
    Filthy, but genuinely arousing....

Now I need a cigarette...

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Work continues on the tiles. I did my first landscape arrangement this morning, but when I tried to render it Max scolded my low amount of memory. That issue will be improved shortly, so I should have some shots of the large-scale layout in the not-too-distant future.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    You could do a duplicate relief, and have it hover directly over the other landscape, and have that be a recessed bay with all kinds of equipment. A fast way to do large hanger areas.
    th_JLStationConceptREDO8.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks very good!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Coming on nicely, keep up the great work.
  • rtrowbridgertrowbridge171 Posts: 0Member
    Great to see you modeling again. I loved your old tiles.

Your dead laptop wasn't an HP9000 series by any chance, was it? I'm on my 3rd motherboard in my old because of fried graphics chips.HP really screwed up with their internal cooling on that family of laptops. I found my last motherboard cheap on ebay. It has lasted 1 1/2 years so far.

I'm much happier with my new MSI GT780.
    Great to see you modeling again. I loved your old tiles.

Your dead laptop wasn't an HP9000 series by any chance, was it? I'm on my 3rd motherboard in my old because of fried graphics chips.HP really screwed up with their internal cooling on that family of laptops. I found my last motherboard cheap on ebay. It has lasted 1 1/2 years so far.

I'm much happier with my new MSI GT780.

It was a Toshiba Satellite P105, as I recall. Had a discrete Nvidia GeForce 5900. When that sucker fried itself (I suspect the fan stopped working suddenly, and temps spiked) the laptop became useless because it was already old (from August 2006) and replacing the GPU would cost $500 or more. Not worth it.
    Another update. Still fooling around with some different design approaches.

th_JLStationConceptREDO11.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO9.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO10.jpg
    Okay, I've been messing around a bit with textures, as well as tweaking the design approach. What ultimately winds up in the tutorial will likely be a mix of the different designs I've worked on.

Feedback, as always, would be appreciated.

th_JLStationConceptREDO-Textest3.jpg th_JLStationConceptREDO-Textest4.jpg
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    I like this latest version best, it's got a nice sense of scale to it, looks like a big chunk of surface rather and a small portion of one. Although I suppose the previous version would be good for closer passes/trench work. This is still Death Star related right? I suppose it doesn't matter, works the same for any large scale model, why am I telling you this? Anyway, I'll stop rambling now... nice work though!
    Severus wrote: »
    I like this latest version best, it's got a nice sense of scale to it, looks like a big chunk of surface rather and a small portion of one. Although I suppose the previous version would be good for closer passes/trench work. This is still Death Star related right? I suppose it doesn't matter, works the same for any large scale model, why am I telling you this? Anyway, I'll stop rambling now... nice work though!

Well, more Death Star evocative. As in, inspired by but not copied from. And I agree, the sense of scale on this one is more convincing. I will likely use some of the elements from the other drafts, but what I've noticed is that anything that rises too much above the surface just sticks out as obvious when you repeat it. Keeping roughly the same height range makes repetition less glaring.