Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class - The second

ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
edited May 2013 in Work in Progress #1
So, I guess it's time to post this. I recently got back to watching TNG again, and it made me open 3ds max again, after a really long time, to play a bit. Seeing all the current work being done here by Tobias, IRML and others, I started to fool around with my old Akira mesh, and I thought it would be a good idea to try and bring it a to a better standard.

Back when I built the first (I started 2003 and finished in 2007!) I didn't have a lot of experience, and computing power wasn't so great, so I settled for a lower poly mesh with most of it textured. I tried changing the original mesh, but it was pretty clear that I wouldn't be able to use most of it. So I started blocking in the shapes again, and I think it's in a good spot to post here to see what you guys think. I have been focusing mostly on the nacelles and catamarans for now, as those are the hardest pieces to build. The nacelle is almost done, and the catamarans need a little bit more work on the shape to get it done. After that I can go into the other parts.

If anybody is interested, there are no booleans so far and the only texture is the light panel map I put into the reflection slot of the material for the hull. The idea is to build a highly detailed Akira model, while keeping it as close as possible to the original model done by ILM. The pieces that I can't make out from the CGI mesh, I'll take from the original concept art.

Sorry for the long post :D I'm not yet on the level of some of the other guys here, but if there's anything you guys wanna ask, go ahead :)
96255.jpg
96256.jpg
96257.jpg
96258.jpg
Post edited by Viper on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. It looks nice and smooth so far. This ship is a favorite of mine, so I'll definitely be watching this build with great interest. I agree, those catamarans look difficult. They're the main reason I've never attempted to build one of these. (same with the NX)
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    Off to a great start. I like the rounded off nacelles. I never liked the original boxy ones, and these look a lot nicer without deviating too much from the intent of the original model.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Great looking start, smooth and clean looking mesh.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Great start, like Talon said, it's looking very smooth. The Akira is one of my favorite canon designs, so I'll definitively be keeping an eye on this thread.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SnowCrashSnowCrash191 Posts: 279Member
    Great to see you back at it! Fine start as well. What renderer are you using in max btw - just being nosy :)
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Thanks guys. Long way to go yet :) I adjusted the Catamarans a little bit more today, but I don't think the changes are visible. Just some general shape adjustments. I decided to rebuild the saucer to start cutting it. I tried going sub-d all the way with it, but the cage started to get a bit too complicated for my tastes, so I went basic. Just a simple lathe and doing the necessary poly rebuilding on the cutouts with booleans. I'll refine the edges later on. I'll also add the sensor extrusion on the edge of the saucer a bit later.

@SnowCrash: I'm using MentalRay. I wanted to test using MR materials as well for this build. Sometimes the standard materials frustrate me a little bit. This way I could easily setup a metallic material that worked right out of the box :)
    96268.jpg96269.jpg96270.jpg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Great start. I loving your rounded Nascells.
    If when I go back to round out mine after the ship is finished. I thinking of giving the bussard more of post FC look. but we will see.
    Those Cat's are looking spot on and put mine to shame. Somthing else that needs correcting one mine. ;)
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    So, youA’re came back.... :D
    Good to see you around again Diogo. ;)
    Yes, your deviation from the original naceles looks VERY good. IA’m anxiouslly waiting to see what you have planned for the other bits. :thumb:
    I'm afraid my come back might have been a bit short lived. At least, I need to put this on hold for a couple of weeks. I think I might be developing a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome, and until it gets better, I can't really work on 3ds max as it requires constant use of the mouse. Programming ain't so bad cause wrist movement is confined to a minimum.

Hopefully I can get back to it soon.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    u are old man.............................

Get well soon bud.................glad to see you back
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That is very sad to hear Viper, I can only hope you a swift recovery process.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    EBOLII wrote: »
    u are old man.............................

Get well soon bud.................glad to see you back

ROFL, thanks :D I'll be back in not time ;)
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Could always try one of those vertical mice... I find them weird but they supposedly are better for you...
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Dude, if you're suffering from CTS, you shouldn't be rolling around doing anything, let alone laughing. :)

Get well soon and get back to work. You may not be at the same level as the top players, but you're already light years ahead of us little leaguers. :D
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Viper wrote: »
    Programming ain't so bad cause wrist movement is confined to a minimum.

Solution: code an AI to model for you! Seriously though, hope you feel better, this ship is looking awesome!
    Good news...finally managed to go to an orthopedist. It actually has gotten a lot better over the past few days, close to a week actually. It was just a pinched nerve coupled with a bit of muscle fatigue instead of carpal tunnel. With some proper exercise to strengthen the muscles, I shouldn't have any more problems. It started to get better after I stopped using a mouse at work and have been using only the trackpad on my notebook.

I'll probably have something new to show on this over the next few days :)
    It's good to hear that you're doing better and that it's not carpel tunnel. Pinched nerves and muscle fatigue are a lot easier to deal with.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Good to hear.

Now lets see an update.

:thumb:
    Oh no! What's this? Progress? :p

So, got back to this project. Let's see how far I can go this time :thumb: For those wondering, I dropped the previous work and started it all over again with Nurbs. Poly modelling is a great tool, and I applaud the people that have the time and patience to go through with it. But I just don't have the time. Still, I don't want to drop the hobby, so Nurbs is a good substitute. It allows me to work a lot faster and spend zero time cleaning stuff up.

Here I have a start on the nacelle and the weapon pod. Still some details to go on both, but I'm pleased with it so far.
    101606.jpg101607.jpg
    Finished the bussards area. Couple of renders showing how the nacelle stands :)
    101610.jpg101611.JPG
    It's looking great so far. :)
    Nice restart.
    with the rear trops on the weapons pod, are you going to go with the original desgin or make them face rear like I did.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Are you using a special nurbs modeller? Your renders in post #20 look like MOI...
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Hi Diogo!
    So, you come back... Are you tired of seeing the Flamengo (or Vasco?) lose the games? :D Just kidding! :lol:
    Well it looks dammed good my friend! I need to find a freetime and play with modelling again too. ;)
    Thanks folks, good to be back :)
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice restart.
    with the rear trops on the weapons pod, are you going to go with the original desgin or make them face rear like I did.

I think I'll go with the original design. I'm following Alex Yeager CGI model and the original design sketches as closely as possible, with only a few minor alterations. Namely, the bussards and probably the deflector dish region that I'm not very fond of in the CG model.
    nightfever wrote:
    Are you using a special nurbs modeller? Your renders in post #20 look like MOI...

Yes, I'm using Solidworks. My business partner has been bugging me to try it for well over a year now, and last week I decided to give it a shot. The results have been very encouraging.
    Starship wrote:
    Hi Diogo!
    So, you come back... Are you tired of seeing the Flamengo (or Vasco?) lose the games? Just kidding!
    Well it looks dammed good my friend! I need to find a freetime and play with modelling again too.

Hey Cassio :) Although I don't really follow soccer, you can never get tired of seeing those teams losing :p And thanks :)
    Nurbs presents some interesting challenges...took me a few hours to figure out how to create the ridged glass for the nacelle, but the results are good. Only a couple more objects to go before I can call the nacelle done :)
    101634.JPG101635.jpg
    Looks good.
    I take it your going to put some grebles behind it to give off the blue glow?
    It was definitely worth the time, the glass looks great. :D

I've never fiddled with Nurbs before. TrueSpace had that, but I never used it. So, I haven't even bothered seeing if Lightwave has Nurbs.
    Freak wrote: »
    Looks good.
    I take it your going to put some grebles behind it to give off the blue glow?

Not sure yet. I wanted to model it to give me the option. But I think I'll just fake the glow using maps. If I have the patience after the rest of the ship is done, I might come back and model the internals of the nacelle.
    It was definitely worth the time, the glass looks great. :D

I've never fiddled with Nurbs before. TrueSpace had that, but I never used it. So, I haven't even bothered seeing if Lightwave has Nurbs.

Thanks :) I'm not sure how the tools for Nurbs are in other software either. I know that in 3ds max they are pretty horrible, hence why I went with another package altogether. That said, 3ds max 2014 imports directly from Solidworks, so I'll go back to it later for materials and rendering.

BTW, finished the nacelle. Can go back to other parts of the ship. I actually think the Nacelle was the worst piece, just because it has some really weird details. The rest should be more straight foreward :)
    101659.jpg101660.jpg
    The Nescells trunned out really well.

The biggest issue I had with the ship was the Cat's, they where a right pain to model and they still have issues.