Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Computer hard drive? FAIL! lol

Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2012 in General Discussion #1
So yeah a couple of days ago my hard drive **** the bed... It was bad, it was so bad that I had to get a new HDD as soon as the next day, luckily my friend had a spare, so that was great. But the hard drive was smaller than the old, plus all my data was lost and so I have to start from scratch. My laptop is an HP and it's only a couple years old, has anyone had problems with HP Hard drives failing on them? Well it was a Western Digital.. But I have had no problems with WD in my desktop.. but who knows right?
Post edited by Soran77 on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9786 Posts: 5,321Member
    Almost all WD hdds I have had have failed on me in some form or other. Laptop hdds are more prone due to size, heat, and moving around. Always best to keep important data backed up on disc or a external hdd.

3tb seagate external usb3 units can be had for 150$ usd.

I always work off fob or other external when I am forced to use my laptop. I consider everything inside a laptop expendable.
    I know nonw of this is of any help now that you lost all your stuff. Is the drive like dead as in spindle death or head crash? If not you can get a sata/pci to usb connector to try to recover data. They are little adapters with a wallwart that plug right into the hdds connector. Boot in set the drive to it's slowest and attempt to copy data off.

MKF-
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Why do people say "LOL" about stuff that's not really funny? I've suffered a couple HD failures and I definitely wasn't laughing out loud. But, different strokes for different folks, I guess.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    because, it's better to laugh about it than to scream and cry hysterical about it.
    your blood pressure will thank you and you'll live longer.

i join madkoifish. i've had a couple of WD hard drives, and they have all failled me.
    i dont thrust them.
    they have been bad for like 10 years. before 2000 they seemed ok. maybe a change in the company politics. make them weaker so they'll have to be replaced more often, or something similar.

if you cant save the data and its vital data to you, there are companies specialized in the data recovery from crashed hard drives. have a look in your yellow pages.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I prefer to just fling endless profanities at my computer and the people who made the HD. ;)

Yeah, WD is a pretty crappy company. They have a lot of failures. Then, somehow, they still are making money off of this crap and have been able to buy some smaller HD companies to spread the crappiness even more. I don't get it. :confused:
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    I don't know, maybe if there's no damage to the drive's internal parts, you may be able to change the circuit board on the old one.

Just find a used board from drive a just like it, (and I do mean exactly like it), and swap it out.

But I'm not sure if it can be done with a laptop's HDD, never tried it with one of those.