Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DInterstellar Odyssey

AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
OK gang, some of you know what happened with the proposed Lost In Space web series. For those who don't, a cease and desist order was issued last fall to the producers by the copyright owner of the LIS franchise. Long story. I just have to say that it's too bad that the owner of a near-dead franchise doesn't seem to want fan-based productions to keep the memories alive.

SO, the producers decided to re-tool the show and offer an entirely new series though based upon a similar concept. "Interstellar Odyssey" is the result. Here, in a nutshell, is the basic premise:

The US has developed a prototype spacecraft capable of interstellar flight. It is based upon back-engineered technology gleaned from several crashes of alien spacecraft. The fundamental design is based upon a saucer-shaped craft. In an ultra-top-secret program, the first ship, the Columbus suffers what appears to be a catastrophic failure on its maiden flight. We later learn that things are not quite what they seem.

The follow-up mission utilizes a more advanced vessel and is christened the Odyssey. With a crew of 8, the Odyssey seeks to determine the fate of the Columbus, although its primary mission is to travel to the Gliese 581 system to survey the planets and determine the suitability of establishing human outposts.

So that's the basic premise of the first episode. Taking a cue from the original Lost in Space series, the new Odyssey is structurally similar to the revised Jupiter 2, outlined in this thread.

Since this project started last November, the exterior of the Odyssey is pretty much set. The ship is basically a flying saucer. What I'd like to chronicle in this thread is the development of the interior spaces.
Beauty002_thumb.jpg

Here's the video that introduces the ship:
95945.jpg
Post edited by Avian on
Tagged:

• AvianAvian203 Posts: 210Member
    Here are the title credits for the series:
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Too bad about all the work gone to waste.

The new ship looks great. It has a real "I'm functional, dammit" vibe about it too.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    you would think the creater of lsot in space would be proud that some one wanted to create a new series with his ship and crew in all its glory greedy lil wanker
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, it's too bad about the cease and desist order. But, it's good that you guys haven't let it get you down. I like that you're moving forward with a new series that only borrows from other shows and movies. Your ship is really cool. It's kind of like the Jupiter 2 meets the C-57D. :)

BTW, why is your entire crew officers? No enlisted? C'mon, enlisted personnel are the real guts of any military, they keep everything working. ;)
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    The warp sequence is absolutely great!
    But there is some crit: In the first scene, when the cam is moving away from the planets, the sun seems to be a small light sphere about 20000 miles above earth and not the big gas bubble some million miles away ;)
    Chanur wrote: »
    The warp sequence is absolutely great!
    But there is some crit: In the first scene, when the cam is moving away from the planets, the sun seems to be a small light sphere about 20000 miles above earth and not the big gas bubble some million miles away ;)

Absolutely right, Chanur. There is certainly some "artistic license" in the intro just for the sake of conveying a sense of adventure. But the majority of the new series does take pains to be pretty accurate to what we currently "know" in science. I was an astrophysics major during my first go-round in college and I worked for more than 10 years in a major metropolitan Planetarium. That said, I am willing to bend the rules a bit for the sake of a good yarn. :)
    Avian wrote: »
    That said, I am willing to bend the rules a bit for the sake of a good yarn. :)

Your universe, your rules, and so, all i have to say is: well done!! ;) :D
    Here's the working plan for the main deck. The Rover Bay and the Flight Pod bay are 72 inches (1.83 meters) below the level of the main deck. I'll post the lower deck plan soon.

odysseyplanmaindeck003.jpg
    Each of the eight cabins are nearly identical. Here's a study of the general condition. All cabins have a porthole plus two "Crew Service Modules" on either side. These are meant to be storage for personal effects plus a retractable bed with additional amenities. More details will be added to these modules. I certainly welcome suggestions!!!

The aesthetic of the ship interiors is based upon traditional aviation design.

cabintest001.jpg
    Nice looking deck plan and cabin design. Is the engine room going to be on the deck below?
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I like the cabin's basic layout. But Given a lot of people tend to read in bed etc, if you're looking for a little detail to add, what about a light mounted into the wall, which would look down to the head area of the bed when it extends.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Hey, just use it for an Invaders redeux ;)
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    i'm liking it, but that main intro scene is way to long on the cast introductions, maybe 2 to a set to shorten it down.
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    Welcome back,
    Glad to see you did not give up on the project, and moved ahead with a better ship design then the limitations of the J2. I would do a few minor changes though but it is up to you in the end.
    What I would do is the following:
    Rotate the inner area about 90 degrees and reverse it. Why? it would allow you to put decompression doors at the ends of bays and air lock and not trap the crew. It would also allow faster access from Quarters to the controls as well as from the galley.
    Would add a door and passage to the medical area by the galley and wall off the Medical area so it has a windowed area to watch that area.
    Would change the lip on the low area of the saucer, marked in red, to allow that thrust from there to aid in landing
    Would thicken the ring, pointed to in green, and make it longer towards the drive area and use that to extend and be the landing gear. The current gear is complicated and that usually means prone to failure or heavy maintenance. the landing gear and enterance should be seperate or one bad landing traps you in the ship.
    Still would not put actual windows in the hull weakens it and allow more points of failure would still use a optical system and display panel, the look in the room doesn't have to change the port hole becomes the screen and then also multi-purpose.
    Look at the A380 Emirates first class cabin to see how to make the room multi-purpose and configurable, they make great use of a 8x5 foot space.
    95967.jpg95968.jpg
    does this ship have weapons?
    @colbmista - There is a small arms locker on the main deck. Kelly (the director of the series) has not yet indicated a need for a ship-wide weapon system. There are reserved spaces in the hull if something like that is needed.

@GotAFarmYet - Yes, it is likely the circular passageway will be extended through the Med Bay to hook up with the Galley. And there are several pressure doors in that circular passageway that have not shown up yet in the plan :) Regarding portholes, because the ship is intended to be the primary residence of the crew while on Gliese 581 G & D, the portholes would provide a psychological relief to the crew vs. merely looking at an image on a video screen. It's analogous to watching a video of a fireplace vs. actually tending a real fireplace - it provides a connection to a natural setting even though it may be an alien one.
    not gunna have any bad guy aliens?
  • GotAFarmYet?GotAFarmYet?171 Posts: 0Member
    LOL,
    depends on your point of view, to them we are the bad guy aliens
    Here are some shots of the Flight Pod. This is intended to be used primarily as a recon vehicle once the Odyssey has landed, although it can also serve as a drop ship while the Odyssey is in orbit. It is still in development so the landing gear are not shown. (Comments & ideas welcome! Should this little ship have a name?).

It is probably prudent to mention that the mother ship, Odyssey, has at least two main drive systems. The counter-rotating plasma domes have a hand in interstellar flight while the perimetric plasma band is more of a gravity manipulator. The design rule on this is that the perimetric gravity drive must be perfectly circular regardless of the diameter of the craft in order to more easily maintain the gravity field using the limited knowledge we have of gravity field manipulation. The Pod has only a perimetric gravity drive.

To fit within the established Odyssey hull, the Flight Pod has a diameter of 5 meters, or about 16'-4". To accommodate three crew members the upper hull has been distorted and pushed to the rear of the little ship.

The intent is to loosely recall a streamline moderne look of early 20th-Century travel.

The device above the rear hatch is a simple floodlight with stereo camera ports on either side.

Pod vD011.jpg

Pod vD012.jpg

Pod vD010.jpg

Pod vD013.jpg
    96089.jpg96090.jpg96091.jpg96092.jpg
    That's cool. I love the retro design. :D
    i dont really like the shuttle the shape is just meh but thats just me i would go more for a bullet shape give homage to the cigar shaped ufos haha
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    Avian wrote: »
    Should this little ship have a name?).
    Yes, how about Homer? or Odysseus?

looks sweet too :)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I'm not sold on the pod yet. It's nothing I can put my finger on, you understand, but somehow she seems to be missing something.
    That's cool, Pagrin. If you - or anyone - has suggestions, I'm all ears.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Does the pod need to be saucer shaped, or does that go with the theme of the ship? I know you said the plasma ring needed to be circular, but does the rest of the craft need to follow that shape? Could you, say, stick the ring on the bottom of a box?
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Does the pod need to be saucer shaped, or does that go with the theme of the ship? I know you said the plasma ring needed to be circular, but does the rest of the craft need to follow that shape? Could you, say, stick the ring on the bottom of a box?

Possibly. The other issue is the Flight Pod should be in keeping with the established aesthetic of a streamlined design although you could certainly have a contrast, like the Jupiter 2 and its Space Pod. But given that the Flight Pod will be operating primarily in an atmosphere and traveling at possibly supersonic speeds it seemed logical to stick with a streamlined design.
    Falin wrote: »
    Yes, how about Homer? or Odysseus?

looks sweet too :)

Yes, in keeping with the Odyssey theme, perhaps Helen, Cyclops, Penelope, Calypso or Siren?
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The pod is nice. Only Men in Black keeps the future shine these days. Star Wars ruined things with dirty ships ;)
    Here are some progress shots of the main deck. This model is not very detailed. I'm using it primarily to tell me where I need to pay attention to how the structural ribs change in response to the required spaces, and to tell me what I need to focus upon when detailing individual rooms in order to remain consistent with the idea of a "real" ship. (The lettered spaces simply correspond to the individual crew cabins A through H)

MainDeckStudy001.jpg

MainDeckStudy003.jpg

MainDeckStudy005.jpg

MainDeckStudy008.jpg
    96210.jpg96211.jpg96212.jpg96213.jpg96214.jpg
    Amazing stuff - when can i move in?? ;)