Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Looking to Commission for an STL model of some Star Wars ships...

allnitedj72allnitedj720 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2012 in Looking for... #1
I'm interested in getting quotes from modelers who can build me STL models of some rarer Star Wars ships. Willing to pay for the work just need to know price ranges.

Ships I'm interested in getting modeled:

Hapan Battle Dragon
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/12/11526/hapan1.jpg

Hapan Nova Battle Cruiser
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f7/Hapes_Nova-Class.jpg

Possibly others but will start with these.

Thanks
Post edited by allnitedj72 on

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I already have some work at the moment so I'm not offering, but to make it easier for other people you should give a little bit more info like what sort of scale and level of detail are you looking for, what printer will you use and does it have a good resolution etc

the pictures you posted are good but you need more info to work out what sort of detail you'll be putting into it, some printers can handle finer detail and some can't

just out of interest where is the first one from? I recognise it from somewhere
  • indianna500indianna5003 Posts: 0Member
    I would be interested but as IRML mentioned you would need to provide a lot more info to secure a realistic quote. Three way plan views as well as perspective views would be essential as well if you wanted an accurate version.

I may be out of the loop here but building for 3D printng can be a bit of a mare if its too fine in scale. I heard that the model also has to be a continious "air-tight" mesh ( no intersecting elements) otherwise you just end up with a mess at the other end.

Happy to be corrected if anyone else reading this has had experience with 3D printing?.
  • allnitedj72allnitedj720 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the lack of detail.

I'd like moderately detailed model for each. Good resolution.

I just got a 3d printer so that's what the STL files would be for.

@IRML - both ships are from the Star Wars extended universe. I just really love the way they look.

@indianna - Not sure if those views are available and I don't require the models to be exactly accurate. I believe you are correct about the STL files for 3d printing.
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    If your looking for orthos of those ships, Troy Vigil did blueprints for both for the trade paperback The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels. I believe that those blueprints are still available on Wookiepedia.
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Just wondering how large you intend to print these models, because the Nova seems fine for making a small ship, the battle dragon looks like it would lose all its spindly bits the moment you try and pick it out of the printer.

You might want to print a simple thin cylinder from the same material first. see what sort of strength it will have before you spend a load of money employing someone to build a model for you too delecate to touch.
  • allnitedj72allnitedj720 Posts: 0Member
    Small details like those spindly bits I can model on myself after. I primarily just want the main shapes and a little detail on the surface of those shapes.
  • digitalthumpdigitalthump0 Posts: 0Member
    Pm sent