Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCorellian Assault Fighter

NXNNXN0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hey all,

I've been lurking on the forums here for the last few months, and the amazing work here has inspired me to get off my rear and do some modeling again. Let me start off with saying that I haven't seriously modeled anything in about 10 years, so I'm re-learning as I go.

On to the ship! I wanted to create a smaller fighter-type craft that could fit in with the Corellian line of ships (Millennium Falcon, Corvette, etc). Hopefully I've gotten that down. However, I'm still tweaking the design as I go.

This ship is a 1-2 man ship (still deciding on that), that's primarily a heavy assault/bomber (think B-Wing).

Here are some WIP shots:

WIP01.jpg
The cannons on the front are going to be replaced by recessed missile/torpedo tubes. I might put a turret on top for the main guns.

WIP02.jpg
Starting on the engine greebles

WIP04.jpg
More engine work
WIP05.jpg
WIP06.jpg
Some panel work
WIP08.jpg
The Astromech is probably out of scale, and might be replaced with a turret
WIP09.jpg
WIP10.jpg
The main cabin will be resemble the Falcon's cabin, but scaled for 1-2 people.
WIP12.jpg
WIP13.jpg

Let me know what you think. I'm open to design changes/modeling tips.
96465.jpg
Post edited by NXN on
Tagged:

• BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool, though for the cockpit, might I suggest two seats in tandem, rather than side-by-side?
    Or you could do something like the EA6B Prowler and have two-by-two seating.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking pretty interesting this, be cool to see where you go with this, liking the detailing around the engines. yeah, I'd also be inclined to go with a tandem seating arrangement, or perhaps have a slightly offset rear seat for the navigator with his navigation console to one side of the cockpit and perhaps a panel in front of him to control secondary weapon systems or something, a little similar to what they had going on the interior of the cockpit for the TIE Phantom in the Rebel Assault video game series.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I like this very much! I'd suggest you move the astro-droid to one of the sides (the relative position where the Millennium Falcon has its big communications dish), and placing a turret at its current position.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Great start,looks interesting so far.
    Thanks for posting.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Welcome to the forums. :)

Like everyone else said, that's a great start. I like the design and I like the greebles a lot. :D
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Cool! I like original designs. Ditto the comment on the location of the astromech. Also, I'd make the astro a bit smaller too... Relatively speaking, humans might not fit at that scaling.

It looked like a Tantive IV crashed into a ST saucer section at first, but I like where it's headed...

:thumb:
  • NXNNXN0 Posts: 0Member
    Borkless wrote: »
    Looks cool, though for the cockpit, might I suggest two seats in tandem, rather than side-by-side?
    Or you could do something like the EA6B Prowler and have two-by-two seating.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Looking pretty interesting this, be cool to see where you go with this, liking the detailing around the engines. yeah, I'd also be inclined to go with a tandem seating arrangement, or perhaps have a slightly offset rear seat for the navigator with his navigation console to one side of the cockpit and perhaps a panel in front of him to control secondary weapon systems or something, a little similar to what they had going on the interior of the cockpit for the TIE Phantom in the Rebel Assault video game series.

When I said it'd resemble the Falcon's cabin/cockpit, I was thinking of the exterior only. For the actual seating layout, I was leaning more towards a two-seater variety, with the seats in tandem. 1 for the pilot, 1 for the gunner.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I like this very much! I'd suggest you move the astro-droid to one of the sides (the relative position where the Millennium Falcon has its big communications dish), and placing a turret at its current position.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the position of the droid. I'm leaning towards putting a turret there, but I was a little afraid that it'd look too derivative of the other Corellian ships. But then again, if a design works, why change it, right? :)

jedi44 wrote: »
    Great start,looks interesting so far.
    Thanks for posting.

Thank you Jedi44!
    Welcome to the forums. :)

Like everyone else said, that's a great start. I like the design and I like the greebles a lot. :D

Thank you! I'm finding I'm enjoying modeling the greebles most of all.
    Cool! I like original designs. Ditto the comment on the location of the astromech. Also, I'd make the astro a bit smaller too... Relatively speaking, humans might not fit at that scaling.

It looked like a Tantive IV crashed into a ST saucer section at first, but I like where it's headed...

:thumb:

Agreed on the astromech placment. Scale is a little fuzzy at the moment. I'll probably tackle proper scaling once I get working on the cockpit.

Thank you for all the comments. Hopefully I'll be able to work on this a little more this week.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Great job thus far.
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd say be bold, put 2 astromechs on either side of where it is now and a turret in the center
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Great stuff. I look forward to other, similar ships.
    Put a little more work into this ship. Still trying to come up with a "class" name for it.

Decided to remove the astromech and put a turret in it's place.
    WIP14.jpg
    WIP15.jpg
    WIP17.jpg

Shot showing the scale I'm going for. I'll probably tweak it a little more as I begin to work on the cockpit.
    WIP16.jpg
    WIP18.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Well, from what I understand, Corellian transports are YT- and then a number. Perhaps a fighter would be YF-# ?
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    will the saucer be dumpable ? looks like it's where the payload will be.
    i'd easily see it be ejected to loose weight and gain agility.
    or even better, those 2 rounded wings can become independent drones that will create diversion, or attract fire, allowing the bomber to do his job
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    lil big for a fighter imho
    That looks great. I really like it with the turret there.

Though, colbmista is correct, it seems a bit big for a fighter. Though, it could be a scout ship, or something along those lines.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I like those turrets there. Given that it's a bomber, maybe it could have some more turrets at the sides and be a corellian "flying fortress".
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Hmm..so the "saucer" area could be "bomb" bays or robot "drone" bays?
    I agree, it's getting a little too big for a fighter. I'm thinking of more of a missile boat/bomber role for this one. Big engines to allow it to scream in, drop it's payload, and get out fast.

I think I'll call it the YT-3600.
    Looking good, the only issue I see with those cannons is that from a practical standpoint you won't be able to get much elevation if they're meant to be point defence weapons. If they're just supposed to fire forward with some lateral fire arc then they're fine, and they certainly look cool.

I think you need to define what exactly the mission profile of this class of ship is, and then the weapons and equipment etc will just fall into place. Has me thinking of the Skipray Blast Boat in terms of size and firepower, especially if you are thinking of putting additional fixed cannons either side of the cockpit. Though as has been mentioned I can see it in a bomber role as that would easily explain the disc shaped hull as a weapons payload bay. Coming along nicely.
    A little more work done on this beauty.

Hmm.. not TOO much different here, right?
    WIP19.jpg

Wait... what's THIS?
    WIP20.jpg

WIP21.jpg

WIP22.jpg

OK, so this is no longer a "bomber" it's now officially a missile-boat. It's armed with 18 proton torpedoes. These missile bays are closed when in flight. They open for maintenance, and reloading. The torpedoes fire forward from the trench in the front of the ship. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, it'll make more sense when I actually model that part of the ship.

You won't normally see the exposed missile bay like this, but I was thinking ahead to maybe doing some hangar shots, with a few of these ships being worked on.

Next up is refining the turrets so they can actually elevate some.

As always, let me know what you think.
    I like it. :) Nice work on the missile launchers, those look great. I think classing this as a missile boat is a good call, as you expect those to be a bit larger than fighters and bombers. :)
    Hmm...i like the concept, but somethings bugging me on the launchers, they look like they're suppose to rotate, but the 2 blue rings don't look like they have room for the unseen halves for the rotating.
    Falin wrote: »
    Hmm...i like the concept, but somethings bugging me on the launchers, they look like they're suppose to rotate, but the 2 blue rings don't look like they have room for the unseen halves for the rotating.

Good catch. I'll refine that, and put in some smaller gears.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Very cool! But, wouldn't it be more practical,servicable,and..er, bomberish to have those weapons bays extend down from the bottom? I'm not sure about your gear layout so that may have been a contributing factor.
    I'm back with some more progress on this ship. Decided to tackle the cockpit:

WIP23.jpg
    WIP24.jpg

I also re-designed the turrets. THESE should be able to elevate properly:

WIP25.jpg
    WIP26.jpg

Next major step is coming up with the landing gears
    WIP27.jpg

As always, let me know what you think.
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Nice.
    Nice, looking good. With the turrets I assume you're envisioning them being operated by a gunner sat in the cockpit? So they're not going to have as much freedom of movement as say the Falcon's cannons?
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I'd suggest replacing those nose vents on the cockpit with a similar shaped viewport - they're impeding the forward view at the moment probably a bit more than is ideal. ;)
    I don't know, with the Falcon that central nose pane of the windshield sees some use, but with a cockpit of this size I'm not so sure, unless the control consoles the pilot uses are designed in such a way which splits either side of it so you can see through it. Additionally the width of the band of hull between that central area and the canopy that goes over the top would just be too large and disruptive for your view between the two areas, I think it is better as it is with just the top window, just have to make sure the pilot's seat is high enough to see over that nose.

;)
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Bearing in mind the angle of the cockpit window as it is doesn't appear very steep, I'd still recommend it - or at least the top half of the vent.