Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Antietam - Interiors

DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
So yeah, decided that what's a starship without an inside? I'd done a few tiny low-poly 'sets' inside the ship model, but I want to get a bit... interesting with a couple of projects. So I figure, why not do the inside? Not in one of those hyper-accurate 'let's fit everything inside the ship' methods, which I admire, but the ship's built at 1:8 scale anyway. So yeah, here begins charting my progress. And where better to start than the bridge? I'm going for a slightly-before-ambassador-class look for it, so it's clean and tidy, but still keeps the older bridge console layout from the movie era.

For reference, the tactical station will not have a chair, for reasons which will be revealed once I set up the crew.
95155.jpg
95156.jpg
95157.jpg
95158.jpg
95159.jpg
Post edited by Doomsponge on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work, I'm liking the look of the bridge so far. :)
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    Obviously, the third attachment there is of the ship herself rather than the bridge, as a reference comparison. The brass on the nacelles and deflector housing's deliberately used a fair bit inside, both to tie together the ship exterior and interior, and also add a bit of warmth to the sets.
    Progress is always good. Aside from the texturing, I think this is the outer consoles pretty much done. Added a bit of warmth to the set too, trying to get a bit between the colder, more austere Ent-A bridge and the much warmer and welcoming Ent-D. So lots of warm metals and such. The stations now have chairs and labels, too!
    95168.jpg95169.jpg
    Chair! I think that's the back half, bar the tactical station, pretty much done now.
    95232.jpg95233.jpg
    No lumbar support? Those of us with a bad back don't approve. ;)

Looking great, despite the afore mentioned lack of support.
    Which part's the lumbar support? It's a good point, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.
    Almost done! Trying to get a bit of TNG styling in the Tactical console design. As mentioned, there very specifically isn't a chair, despite my statement that a humanoid tactical officer would probably prefer, if not need one. Might have to do something with that carpet, too, it's looking a little bit 'sea of blue' from the upper angles, I'm thinking probably a nice simple Y-shape in grey or dark red. The proto-TNG thematics is, I suppose, also carried through in the single flight control console, they've got rid of the dedicated navigator and astrogator, but not yet put an Operations console up front. The sightlines aren't too bad, though, all things considered. I'm not that bothered by the passing similarity to the Constitution class' bridge, it's a similar sized ship doing a similar job.

Anyone know where to get some early LCARS graphics?
    95242.jpg95243.jpg
    That's looking great. For LCARs, try searching the web. You should be able to find some that suit your needs. Be sure that the artist allows them to be used as textures, though. (when in doubt, ask)

Lumbar support is that part that bulges out at the bottom of some chairs, adding extra padding and support for the lower back. It's actually something that's missing from the majority of Trek chairs, Archer even mentioned it at least once on Enterprise. My office chair has it, which is great because I screwed up my back a little in the US Army. (it could be worse, but it could also be a lot better) The attached pic is a great example, a car seat (not unlike a command chair ;)) with built-in lumbar support.
    95248.jpg
    Oh, that'll be easy. Yeah, if I can get it looking good, I'll add it. I suppose that might be a cavalier attitude to have, but eh, the only people sitting on it will be CGI people... Ceiling today.
    I think, barring the computer interface, that's the bridge done. Huzzah.
    95252.jpg95253.jpg
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    your concept and lighting is amazing!

I do have a bit of a suggestion, based off of what i fell into when i first started modeling bridge interiors. your consoles, and walls are all super rounded and beveled by alot. dont be afraid to have corners, as it will make it look more realistic. while it looks fine on the helm and the rail, you might want to re look at your tactical console, and the dividers between stations
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    It looks great. :D

I remember the first time I tried to do a bridge. I think back to that, then I look at yours, then I cry. ;)
    Still only three and a half months since I first got c4d, heh. And whilst I do agree with the above-but-one comment there, the difficulty with sharp corners I've found is that they're not exactly the most safe of things to bang against at red alert (the 'stripes' down the dividers between the consoles are padded, for instance). It's that big difficulty of bridge setup; whilst yes, it makes a lot more sense to stick circuit breakers in every console and such, it's much more visually impressive and dramatically helpful when they explode in your face.
    Oh, god. I haven't the faintest idea at all how to do the console panelling displays. And there's nowhere I can get a set either.
    I'd suggest a good vector graphics drawing program. It will take some work, but I'm sure you can knock out a set.
  • OrinackraOrinackra0 Posts: 0Member
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    Oh, god. I haven't the faintest idea at all how to do the console panelling displays. And there's nowhere I can get a set either.

What program are you using? I don't know if this is applicable to you, but for mine, I had 3 separate pieces. The first was the base, and bezel. In my case I made them an aluminum brushed material. The second, I just left blank, and added a label. For Keyshot, labels can be any jpeg image, that you can size and position any way you want. The third was a glass material, that went on top of the label.

It's pretty tedious, but I had great results.
  • batboy853batboy853333 Posts: 88Member
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    Still only three and a half months since I first got c4d, heh. And whilst I do agree with the above-but-one comment there, the difficulty with sharp corners I've found is that they're not exactly the most safe of things to bang against at red alert (the 'stripes' down the dividers between the consoles are padded, for instance). It's that big difficulty of bridge setup; whilst yes, it makes a lot more sense to stick circuit breakers in every console and such, it's much more visually impressive and dramatically helpful when they explode in your face.

I don't think you understood what i was saying, every thing you have is overly rounded, to the point where it looses the realism. the biggest peritrator being the tactical console, i would decrease the factor of beveling by 90% or at least make the finish of the rounding sooner, and then decrease the height by 50%. Right now it looks like a giant blob rather than a console.

Again just trying to help and put in my two cents. :thumb:
    You may know of me as AndyP elsewhere...
    Ah, thanks. Understood now, and you make a good point. I'll see what I can do, I'm pretty sure I haven't nulled that primitive, and even if I have, it's still easy enough to redo it. I think the issue was for some reason I went with 8cm roundign rather than the 3 or 4 centimetre rounding I was using on my other stuff.

re. Orinackra, I think you misinterpreted me there, actually. I meant make the console textures, not the consoles themselves. The pre-LCARS displays and all that. Not sure if I want to do a very early LCARS (green/blue, wide typeface instead of the natrrow and hard to read one they used in the 2360s-70s) or a late Ent-A/Excelsior style look. I'm going for mid-2340s here.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    If you don't want to use Photoshop or Illustrator (or free alternatives like Inkscape) then you can generate the graphics in C4D using splines. Just draw and extrude the shapes, then render and use those renders as textures. Making them into textures is an extra step, but it'll save on processing power and it means you can clean up anything dodgy, or add extra bells and whistles in photoshop.

My ten minute attempt is a bit pants, but obviously if you'll be taking more care than I did.

console1.jpg
    console2.jpg
    95337.jpg95338.jpg
    Yeah, it's the getting everything at the same level and thw whole curved corners that's bneen the big difficulty. I'd also neglected to realise that I can add the text later in Photoshop before applying the textures...
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice.
    Found a set of Ent-A console textures. It's around about the style I'm looking for. There was a handy set of LCARS templates I found, but the creator of them basically had a 'you may only use these if you share my political opinions' clause, so I told him where to shove it. This is it so far, I've also got a pic of the neatened up tactical console. Is there any way in c4d to avoid ambient occlusion maps from messing up alpha channelled textures? I turn it on and it basically turns them into big black censored bars.
    95379.jpg95380.jpg95381.jpg
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    How are you doing your ao? What are you actually using the alpha for? Best bet is to add a composting tag to the object with the alpha and turn off 'seen by ao'. If that doesn't work you can try activate 'evaluate transparency' in the ao shader. Hope this helps. Really liking the bridge. :)
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Looking to much cool!
    Yeah, what hal said. Same goes for transparencies. Though I'm not sure why you're using the alpha channel (using alpha maps in the luminance channel is a different story, but you wouldn't get any AO issues with that anyway).
    I'm doing the console textures on a plane hovering above the console itself. I think it should be a bit easier to switch them out in the long term.
    Those look great. :) I actually prefer these "older" displays over the TNG ones. I like the style and the colors better.
    You could just as easily switch the texture in the material editor with no alpha channel or AO faffing necessary.

Anyway, the big bridge shot looks good. You could add some floor panels (like the hatch Lt. Daniels pops out of in FC) just to break up the expanse of carpet.
    Hmm. Suddenly, whilst working on the MSD, the ship gained nine decks. Only way I could get them to line up right in the primary hull. Looks like the girl's getting a bit more internal space. Still only a light cruiser, mind, she's far smaller than the Ambassadors.