Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

UVW Mapping Complex Shapes Efficiently (max 2011)

SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
Ok, here's the question: What is the most efficient way to UVW map a complex shape (max 2011)?

The shape I'm talking about is the hull for this ship: Rapier. Should I just apply the UVW Unwrap to certain sections or apply it to the whole thing and stitch it together in the edit window? I'm at a loss and any method I try seems to take forever.
Post edited by Schimpfy on
Tagged:

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    uving takes time. its a fact.

apply the uv unwrap to the whole thing. use a 32*32 checker map to see the results inmediately in the viewport.
    the aim of the game is to have no streched squares, and more or less the same seize of squares on the mesh everywhere.
    you can start by selecting the polies that can be projected in one way, separate them, reseize them.
    in the edit window only the square delimited by a blue line serves. the rest of the space are repetitions of the same mapspace.
    on the curves sections, where a typical projection wont work well, use the relax tool, or make the line flow by hand.

there are pay tool that are great, like the xray unwrap, but before using plugins, i recommend you try by hand, to at least understand how it works.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Doing it by hand isn't a problem. I just completed all of the plating and the nacelles on my ship that I posted the link to. My issue is with the main hull assembly. When I go to flatten mapping (because, like you said, projecting doesn't work well) it literally makes hundreds of polygons in the mapping window that I can't find a way to effectively stitch back together that makes creating the textures a bit easier.
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    a good reading would be something about the pelt function of the uv unwrap.
    basicly you tell max its one piece, and where you select the edges, its a cut. (you have to do a select all>planar map first, then go happy with the edge cutting [point to point works great].)

think of your mesh as a cow, and you are deciding where to cleanly cut the skin off, to get something nice when streched.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    I was wondering about pelt mapping, but haven't looked into it very in depth. I'll go check it out. Thanks! :)