Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DACSV-21200 Destria: Commercial Towing Vehicle

sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
So this isn't the most original design out there and it was obviously heavily influenced by the Nostromo but I wanted a "Nostromo Concept" for my universe so I designed the Destria. This is still a huge WIP, I am still modeling in "clone" mode so the all the textures on the starboard side of the ship are mirrored which will be rectified soon along with some mapping errors. I still have a few more external details I want to add and then I'll embark on the final texture work then onto interiors.

Basic specs:

ACSV-21200 Destria

Model TL1300-D towing vessel manufactured by Soran-Keysub Aerospace

Registry: Aquellan Commercial Space Vehicle

Owned and Operated by Miria Coda

Crew: 6

Maximum towing capacity type 1 dollys: 126,000,000 mt
Maximum pushing capacity class B containers: 960 mt

Maximum Sublight velocity: .4c
Maximum Hyperspace Velocity: c10 relative

Image notes: The image of the Destria towing Dollys does not reflect the final Dolly attachment design. The structure linking the load to the Destria is a basic placeholder until I get to designing something more detailed which will place the load a bit lower on the ship's centerline.

Modeled entirely in Sketchup 8, Rendered in Kerkythea
94910.jpg
94911.jpg
94912.jpg
94913.jpg
94914.jpg
Post edited by sorceress21 on
Tagged:

• Reminds me more of the squat dimensions of older human vessels in Babylon 5 the details and cargo pods are definitely more Nostromo-ish. Your texture work is getting better, nice work :)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    This is good stuff. I like the idea of bolting more and more cargo into place, rather than having cargo holds full of containers.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice, I have always liked your designs.
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Excellent work! I don't expect anything else! :thumb:
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Firelode wrote: »
    Reminds me more of the squat dimensions of older human vessels in Babylon 5 the details and cargo pods are definitely more Nostromo-ish. Your texture work is getting better, nice work :)

Yeah I am really happy with the textures...I finally started creating them from scratch and mufti-layered so I could control dispersion of the weathering better. And have a "weathered" look for this vessel was critical to capturing what I wanted to illustrate.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    This is good stuff. I like the idea of bolting more and more cargo into place, rather than having cargo holds full of containers.

I have always thought the concept of the real world "Intermodel" cargo transport system was very cool. And the mega container ships with all the different container liveries creating that "hodge poge" of color just caught my eye as being interesting. So I imagined huge interstellar container ships and their smaller conterparts such as the Destria.

The image of the "cargo train" are large Class A containers on their dolly. Class A containers are used in 3 sizes the smallest pictured above. Class A containers are not typically transported to the surface of a planet as there are few vessels capable of heavy lift to the degree necessary to get several of them at a time into orbit. So stacks of them in a yard would be a rare sight except for save planetoids, small airless moons or asteroids. They are primarily used for space only transport and they are loaded with either bulk freight or Class C containers.

Here's the process in general as there are endless variations depending on the actual freight and how the load was set up,size of shipment, facility considerations, where it's going etc..:

Items/freight is packed into Class C containers or palletized and loaded into Class B ( not displayed ) containers that are sitting on either a hover or wheeled chassis. The "truck" then takes the container directly to another location or to a shipping terminal to go either to another location on the same planet or to another world. If the goods are going off world the container is taken to a spaceport and removed from the chassis and loaded onto a container shuttle that takes it into orbit to a transfer dock or platform. Now, often times the container will be unloaded, reloaded with inbound goods and sent back the the surface. If the container remains sealed it will be loaded onto various types of dollys or directly onto Class B container vessels. Larger shipments are typically consolidated and loaded into Class A containers modeled above. They are then placed on a dolly and the dolly can be used by numerous types of tow vessels or freighters for intra-system or interstellar transfer.

In the case of the "little" Destria, she cannot tow more than 6 fully loaded Type 1 dollys (modeled above) on interstellar flights as her hyperdrive is not powerful enough to shift any more mass though the dimensional barrier into hyperspace and back again. She can however tow an impressive amount of weight through realspace and can haul up to 120 fully loaded out dollys up to speeds as fast as .4 c. And in addition to that she can push 16 more 24 meter class B containers (the hex ones) on her forward couple. The Destria also has a fairly large internal cargo hold of her own and the owner and captain of the vessel, an Aquellan woman named Miria Coda, often takes point to point jobs without towing or pushing any containers. But the freight performance of the Destria shines with intra-system runs over any other type of operation. Like any other privateer crew, they go where the best paying loads take them.
    Freak wrote: »
    Nice, I have always liked your designs.
    Alnair wrote: »
    Excellent work! I don't expect anything else! :thumb:
    Elowan wrote: »
    Looking good!

Thank you very much gents! :D
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    very very nice!
    It's incredible how different you see the "space commerce" from me... I'd love to know more of your universe, is there a topic where you wrote the setting/story/whatever?
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    I'll second that - would love to know more. Also are you going to create the other vehicles you mentioned, so we can see the whole process? Very interesting and in-depth. :)
    I tend to create models for things that appear in the novel I am writing vs just doing random vehicles and such. And I have never written up any kind of comprehensive summary for my universe but I have some collections of writings that describe certain things in depth. I'm actually trying to finish my timeline today and may post it later.
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    I tend to create models for things that appear in the novel I am writing vs just doing random vehicles and such. And I have never written up any kind of comprehensive summary for my universe but I have some collections of writings that describe certain things in depth. I'm actually trying to finish my timeline today and may post it later.

Now that is something I am looking forward to reading!
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    Me too! :)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    The weathering on the landing gear is awesome. Nice work! :thumb:
  • AlnairAlnair181 Posts: 255Member
    Great texturing!:thumb:
  • blackmambablackmamba0 Posts: 0Member
    thats so cool
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    Love the landing gear and the lg doors too. The boarding stairs are fantastic! :)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Landing gear looks great.