Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Airbus Mk2

BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
This model is the result of me needing filler material for a new Starfleet HQ model I'm making. I made a sort of promenade and then decided that the campus should also house something of a public transport system, like a tram, and then remembered that they use an airtram/bus system before. The old one didn't do it for me, though, so I made a new one :) I'll be making a new airbus station as well but you'll see that one soonish :)

I'm still struggling with a way of letting the doors open up properly while still providing an airtight lock, though...
Post edited by BorgMan on
Tagged:

• bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    Very nice :)
  • DoomspongeDoomsponge0 Posts: 0Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    I'm still struggling with a way of letting the doors open up properly while still providing an airtight lock, though...

I'd just go with a force field, personally. Works with shuttlebays.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Very nice!
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Doomsponge wrote: »
    I'd just go with a force field, personally. Works with shuttlebays.

and what if the power goes out ull have passangers getting sucked out the door
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Correction, that's blown out. ;)

But the doors on shuttles (thinking of the aft doors on the Type-6 for instance) didn't seem to have anything special going on. I'd say just make normal looking doors (a gullwing section and a step section), with some robust looking seems on the interior if you don't want to break up the flow of the exterior. Are they actually going to be travelling into space, or is this for 'cruising altitude' purposes?
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Pearse wrote: »
    ....just make normal looking doors (a gullwing section and a step section)....
    ^this

good work so far, is this a sketchup model? I ask because the radiosity always looks the same in all the renders, I wonder if it can be improved or if the settings are limited?
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Thanks for the advice Pearse, this is a cruising altitude-only vehicle.

IRML, this is indeed a SU model but the problem doesn't lie therein; it's Kerkythea that's the baddy here. I have read somewhere it's because the sky around the model is a light emitting factor as well. Eliminate the sky and the whole thing becomes different...

Just to recap, yeah, I really want the exteriors to be one flow. Adding a hinge which would be able to slide the door past the hull is the problem I have right now, next to the fact that the surface which needs to be bridged isn't entirely horizontal, but is lower on one end. I thought that adding some sort of L hinge would be enough (it works for train doors, right?) but then I realized that the actual center of rotation still needs to be outside the vehicle :/
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice work so far. I've always liked this design. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    I'd like to see one with Nacelles--even if it is only an air tram (TMP)
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Probably not going to happen. For city-based transportation the air bus (it doesn't have rails; no tram!) works, but anything further than that and no one will expect anything less than a transporter :/