Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNebula Class In Blender

Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Okay, I got tired of cleaning meshes up and wanted to start in on a new project. The Nebula Class seemed like a likely candidate, as I always wanted one of my own.

I did some research, and decided I will start with the Farragut-style nebula, with the triangular sensor pod and the primary hull different from the Galaxy class. This works out for two reasons: one, it's the right general era for my Shipyard, and two I don't think I quite have the modeling skills to accurately reproduce the Galaxy Primary hull :(

Everything went well up until the Secondary Hull. It took me 7 or eight tries to come up with a basic approach that I think will work. I may have to go back and work a bit more on it, but anyway here she is so far.

Nebula1.jpg

Nebula2.jpg

Nebula3.jpg

Nebula4.jpg

It's very early in the build, but I always get good suggestions at this phase.

The inset for the sensor strip around the secondary hull looks really wide and a bit ugly to me, though it's based off of the studio model. I am thinking of taking a bit of a liberty and making it narrower...
95104.jpg
Post edited by Polaris 004 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice start. This is one of my favorites, so I'll definitely be tuning into this WiP. :)

The studio (plastic) model saucer was always different from the Galaxy, so was the secondary hull. The problem was, when they did the CGI model for DS9, they kitbashed their Galaxy CG model and used photos of the Galaxy class studio model to texture it. So, it was inaccurate. :rolleyes: Yours definitely looks more accurate to the studio nebula so far. :)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looks like a good start sir! and yeah.. trench on the eng hull is a bit much but rest looks really good!

and.. need to taper down the back of the eng hull as well.. its not a duck bill :)

some refs ( u probably have these.. but.. just in case)
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/nebula.htm
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/nebula1.htm
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/06/23/nebula-class/
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nebula_class
    http://www.mutara.net/Christies/EnterpriseD.html
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Yay! With the improvement you've shown in your work over the last few models I think you'll knock this one out no problem. Good luck and I'll be looking forward to the development. :D
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Thanks, Juvat. We will see if my UV texturing skills are good enough to pull this one off.

I'm continuing to struggle with the Primary hull. I got the outline of the hull exactly lined up with the orths I'm using, but somehow the result didn't seem quite right. I continued pushing things around until I got a compromise that falls between the orthographic references and the photos of the studio model.

Nebula5.jpg

Nebula6.jpg

Nebula7.jpg

I did taper the back of the hull, as VALKYRIE013 suggested, even though the orths did not have any tapering. I think I am very nearly happy with the general shapes. If I don't hear any further concerns, I will probably freeze the general shapes and get into more of the finer work.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    The saucer looks fine over all. The only obvious difference from the studio model I can see is the deck below the bridge, which had a shuttlebay, just like the Galaxy class. I don't see any comments about you deciding to eliminate that feature, but if you have, then fair enough. It was something the original model makers probably should've removed when they were making all their other modificiations to the Galaxy saucer. I actually like how you've done it more than how it is for real.
    Pearse wrote: »
    The saucer looks fine over all. The only obvious difference from the studio model I can see is the deck below the bridge, which had a shuttlebay, just like the Galaxy class. I don't see any comments about you deciding to eliminate that feature, but if you have, then fair enough. It was something the original model makers probably should've removed when they were making all their other modificiations to the Galaxy saucer. I actually like how you've done it more than how it is for real.

Thanks. That sub-bridge is a placeholder. But the finished bubble will be similar. I decided that a rear-facing Bay makes no sense. probably there will be no shuttle bay there at all, but if there is one, the doors would have to face some other direction.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Ooohh... my favorite ship ever! Looks great so far! I'll be watching this.
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 72Member
    Very cool, Polaris! Excellent progress on this one.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Two bays facing left and right (more or less), then? Should look good, and make a lot more sense.
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    Always liked the Nebula-class. Could see this as the new Excelsior of the fleet, taking over the role and becoming the mainstay and backbone of Starfleet operations. I read in the DS9 tech manual that the two classes have the same crew requirements, but their cargo capacities aren't listed (that I can find). Still, with the starship designs progressing the way that they are, the Nebula-class is the logical next step. Plus I always wanted one. :D

*watches thread with much interest*
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looks like your off to a great start with this one.
    Small update. I think I'm satisfied with the general shapes and proportions, moving on to basic detailing. I also wanted to get the deflector grids cut, because I wanted to actually Boolean them, but didn't know if I could get that to work. So far, so good.

Nebula8.jpg

Nebula9.jpg

Nebula10.jpg

Nebula11.jpg

Nebula12.jpg

Nebula13.jpg

I'm just going to put all shuttle bays in the back, cut into the pod support pylon. I think there will be two in the pylon and one in the aft off the primary hull, where we see it on the model. The decks under the bridge will just be windows and such.

Please don't hesitate to make suggestions or observations...
    This looks great! I like the way your equipment pod turned out... that's a tricky shape.
    Agreed. That is a tricky shape and it looks great. The grid lines look great too. :)
    Weapons pod looking really good.
    looks excellent sir!
    Making good progress on this one. I'm really happy with the deflector grids, as I actually cut them out with Booleans. It took me a number of tries, but I finally think I got it. I layed out the lifeboat hatches and am starting on the windows.

Nebula23.jpg

Deflector dish still needs a lot of finesse. My deflector grid lines are wider and more pronounced than what we see on the shows and in the movies. I tend to do that with my meshes, for some reason. I suppose I just like being able to see them more clearly that you can on the shows. When the textures are on, they will be a bit more visually suppressed.
    Nebula22.jpg

It took me four tries to get that simple grid on the side of the pylon to come out smooth.
    Nebula21.jpg

Those are without a doubt the best TNG nacelles I have ever made.
    Nebula20.jpg

May have to cut these windows for a third time... not sure I have enough room for the regs...
    Nebula19.jpg

Bridge area is progressing okay, but I'm still working on the layout for the back where there is no longer a shuttle bay.
    Nebula17.jpg

Still a ways to go. I'm going to take a small break and get back to t in a few days. Comments welcome...
    Grid looks excellent sir, one of your best yet!

hmm.. you sure that there isn't a shuttle bay there? always thought there was? hmm
    Grid looks excellent sir, one of your best yet!

hmm.. you sure that there isn't a shuttle bay there? always thought there was? hmm

There was. But I always thought it was a bad place for a shuttle bay. The approach would be blocked by the pylon for the sensor pod. The only reason it was ever there was because there's one there on the Galaxy saucer. If you were really building a class of ship from the ground up, you'd never put a shuttle bay there. I tried extending the box out in back to put bay doors on the sides, but that looked very bad.

I'm trying to decide what I want there. Lounges? A rec area? An arboretum? I could put some small bay doors in it and make it a work shed for maintenance craft. I could put elevators on the top of the block and make it a small shuttle bay with elevator access but walled in the back. I have lots of ideas, but I have yet to pick one. I'm definitely open to a good suggestion at this point.
    You're making great progress on this, I like how it's coming along. :)

I've always thought that was a dumb place for the shuttlebay also, due to the pod. It worked better with the pod the Phoenix had. It had a split pylon that didn't block the bay approach, but it still wasn't ideal.
    pool hall maybe?? :D

elevators might work.. so you thinking ceiling access then? they have a small bay on the tail pylon .. not to big though.. interested to see what you come up with!
    Still looking excellent... your grids and windows look great!
    Thanks, guys. I'm glad I seem to be making the bar, here.

Lots of progress. I said I was going to take a break, but I keep doing "just one more thing" until three in the morning... It's a sickness with me. Anyway, here are some pics:

Okay, the aztecs are all conventional UV mapping! I finally am figuring that business out. The saucer aztecs are pretty close to good, as are the Nacelle aztecs. But the aztecs everywhere else are temporary, just to prove to myself that I could do it. I think the darker color is a tad too light.. I'm going to darken the contrast, but just a hair. It's a really fine balance.
    Nebula25.jpg

Let me turn down the light a bit and show my deflector dish glow. The dish is getting closer... still a bit of detail to go. The windows in the saucer are all cut, the grid lines are cut, lifeboats are ready to go...
    Nebula24.jpg

Here's the top of the saucer... looking good to me. I have overcome a number of blocks on the Galaxy-type saucer. I can cut the grid lines with booleans, and I have finally figured out how to get the aztecs to line up with the grid. I have spent HOURS trying to figure that one out... Really thrilled with the breakthroughs. :) I'm also really greatful that this version of the Nebula Class has so FEW winsows on the saucer top!:D
    Nebula26.jpg

Side and aft views... You'll notice I have only put windows on the secondary hull in places where they will have an unobstructed view. That was another weakness of the studio Model: windows staring up into the bottom of the nacelle pylons. Bleh. Not on my watch... Note to self: the top of the main hull needs much more aztec.
    Nebula27.jpg

For all my progress I STILL can't make a good window cut into a very curved surface. All the windows on TOP of the secondary hull are cheater objects, poking just above the surface of the hull. I'll keep working on that. I saw a tutorial somewhere... You can see where I am contemplating putting two additional shuttle bays in the back of the sensor pylon. Three stacked flight decks should be plenty for this girl, don't you think?
    Nebula28.jpg

Last look... My meshes are generally meant to be viewed from a moderate distance, and from here I think she really does look quite pretty. My best mesh yet, I think. I'm going to try to finish her up after I take a few days off. Still have some hard decisions to make about the bridge platform and the shuttle bays...
    Nebula29.jpg
    95100.jpg95101.jpg95102.jpg95103.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Wow. I'm glad you've got the UVW mapping figured out. It really does a model justice. Heck, I'm still working on mine a lot lately. Great update. :thumb:
    She's looking great. I agree, of the models I've seen from you, this is definitely your best to date. :D
    Thanks, guys. I'm glad I seem to be making the bar, here.

Hey, you're doing great work. And in a program where I've only managed to make a few small models.
    I said I was going to take a break, but I keep doing "just one more thing" until three in the morning...

Oh yeah, been there, done that. ;)
    Excellent! Your top saucer looks absolutely perfect, and I'm glad you went with the correct TNG saucer top, instead of the sloppy cut-and-paste job they did with the Galaxy's saucer top for the Nebula on DS9. I also like how you enlarged the impulse engines... that was perhaps my biggest issue with the original filming model, was that the impulse engines it had were way too small. Keep up the good work!
    Really nice work.
    I know it a bit late now, but the deflctor ship aera looks a bit to big.
    I always thought it was the same as the Gal.
    it is your best yet sir! Looking excellent!
    Freak wrote: »
    Really nice work.
    I know it a bit late now, but the deflctor ship aera looks a bit to big.
    I always thought it was the same as the Gal.

There is a version of the nebula that has a primary hull and a deflector exactly identical to the Galaxy Class. That was a later version, introduced in later seasons of DS9 and at least once on Voyager:

nebula-angled.jpg

nebula2.jpg

The originial studio model of the Nebula, however, had a completely different primary hull, as well as a modified saucer with fewer windows and different impulse engines

nebula-galaxy-ventral.jpg

nebula-christies4.jpg

It is this version of the nebula that I am trying to model, although I have made a few "improvements" of my own as well.
    I decided on the studio model version because it seems to stand out more to me. I'm used to looking at the Galaxy Class deflector, so this deflector really jumps out at me. It's also from the correct era for my fantasy Shipyard, namely the era prior to and just after the Galaxy Class project. If I could serve in Starfleet within any era, this is the time frame I would enlist in.

Excellent! Your top saucer looks absolutely perfect, and I'm glad you went with the correct TNG saucer top, instead of the sloppy cut-and-paste job they did with the Galaxy's saucer top for the Nebula on DS9. I also like how you enlarged the impulse engines... that was perhaps my biggest issue with the original filming model, was that the impulse engines it had were way too small. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I feel the same way about that "cut and Paste" job. Although at least they got a Nebula on the screen in some form, which is something that did not happen enough for my taste. I agree the impulse engines on the studio model seem rather small and amorphous, so I just grabbed some Galaxy-type engines and played with their proportions. I may build up the saucer right behind those vents a little, or at least change the color of the saucer there to suggest the fusion reactors that are stored within. I'm glad you like the results.

I've been just chipping away at little things, so no big changes lately, except for my latest attempt to fill in the area behind the bridge.

Nebula30.jpg

Looks like I will probably be going with "Arboretum."

Finishing these meshes up always seems to take a LOT of time. But I'm hoping to be done within the next week or two. I'll post again when I am closer to finishing.
    Yeah, the CGI model was a quick Galaxy kitbash that was made for DS9. They used photos of the galaxy for the textures. That's why the model looks so Galaxy-ish. Personally, I prefer the miniature that Greg Jein's model shop put out for season 4 of TNG, I'm glad you're doing that one. :) Probably the biggest misconception about the filming miniature is that it's a Galaxy kitbash and its elements are the same as the Galaxy, they're not.