Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Time Machine

CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
edited May 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Well, OK, just the chair anyway... But its so big i had to render it sideways, you can perhaps imagine it flying through time and space.:argh:

Anyway, this was at one point the only way to get around in time and create plot holes, way before Deloreans and even Police Boxes, and maybe even coolest of all the time machines of all time, with its elegant 1950's steampunk styling by Bill Ferrari.

To give it that classic look the chair used in the original late 50's production was a real barbers chair from the period depicted, a Berninghaus Hercules; It was modified slightly in a few ways to give it a more purposeful look as the time pilots chair, or perhaps simply to disguise it a little. A recreation of the same chair was also used in the 2002 remake with even further modifications to the basic shape.

*edit - changed attachments, more update images below!*
95208.jpg
94608.jpg
94607.jpg
Post edited by Coolhand on
Tagged:

• ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    Good one boychik!!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    oohhh! So nice! good luck with this!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Very nice work here, Steve.:)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great start. I love all of the intricate detailing on the chair.

I like that movie. I even like the 2002 remake. :)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice project.
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    THE TIME TRAVELLER (for so it will be convenient to speak of him)... would be very pleased with this beginning ;)
    Good work!
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Sorry about the long time between updates, been really busy lately. thanks for the comments guys, here's some updates, and, the machine itself! modelling is nearly done and some basic texturing. not sure there's much i can do with the wooden parts, bake some ambient occlusion into it perhaps, maybe i can do the reverse of that and bake some wear through lightening the edges a bit...

maybe i'll also do the 2002 version, the chair is half the work of the entire model really.
    95209.jpg95208.jpg95210.jpg95211.jpg95212.jpg95213.jpg95214.jpg
    If I'm not mistaken, there is only one way to fly through time....in a supercomfy chair.

Modeling is excellent. So...good job as usual, Steve.:)
    If I'm not mistaken, there is only one way to fly through time....in a supercomfy chair.
    Either that or an underpowered aluminium sports car, as per your pm about temporal coordinates, set your time circuits to dec 18th.;)

tried adding a fabric to the chair, presumably its velvet irl though i think this one had scabies or something, just doesn't look fluffy enough.
    95216.jpg
    Time circuits locked in.:) For some reason I kept thinking Aug 18th. Blame it on temporal distortions...
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Time circuits locked in.:) For some reason I kept thinking Aug 18th. Blame it on temporal distortions...

You both left me curious about the date (18th dec or 18th aug) and the events that will come...

About this old time machine Steve, your modelling is perfect! I still have that movie in my personal collection, and I do remember the fear I felt when seeing the Morloks in my childhood. It is one of my favorite movies from all the times, as an english movie named "Quatermass and the pit" and a few others.
    This looks fantastic, awesome work. :thumb:

I hope you do the 2002 version, I like them both. :)
    I think roadwarrior is wracked with guilt because i've wished him a happy birthday a whole 2 times in the last 10 years or something... so I think its fair to say he's determined to wish me a happy birthday this year and restore the balance of the galaxy. Put it in your diaries, folks, gift ideas can't go wrong with booze - hey i have birthday, christmas and new years in the space of 2 weeks to deal with, oh and the end of the world too of course, better stock up.

while we're all still alive here's couple of material tweaks for the seat covers, not sure if its all that much like velvet really, but at least it doesn't look so scabby. Once complete i'm escaping the coming apocalypse by going back to 1985 with a whole bunch of stock reports, sports results and other peoples IP that won't have been created by them yet.
    95224.jpg95225.jpg
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    Modelled and textured to perfection.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    I'll go with the chair. Bumpy out there.
    The material looks fantastic. :)
  • ChanurChanur191 53.33° N / 10.00° EPosts: 305Member
    I hope, this machine has an autostop function, for in that chair i would sleep faster than i could say "flux capacitor"

Great work coolhand!!!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    looks comfortable!!! Excellent modeling!
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    If you're going to time travel, why not do so in a comfy chair. :P

Looks amazing I don't recall the original having this much detail, but then again it's been a few years since I watched it, I really like the remake, especially the bit towards the end, where the Uber-Morlock explains to Alexander the reason he can't change the past, and all that stuff...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Really excellent work. The carving looks bang on and the upholstery is pretty much there, but there are still a few giveaway contours that are a little more boxy than they'd be in real life. But honestly, I reckon what you've done so far is very nearly photorealistic, and it's bringing back memories of being terrified by the Morlocks as a kid.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Coolhand wrote: »
    Once complete i'm escaping the coming apocalypse by going back to 1985 with a whole bunch of stock reports, sports results and other peoples IP that won't have been created by them yet.

Have you seen Hot Tub Time Machine... one of the guys do just that, and instead of Google it becomes Lougle. haha
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Ballance WILL be restored!!!:);)

Now that looks like satin to me.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    How the hell did I miss this!!

This looks so freaking cool!
    Thanks for the comments fellow chronauts! some more material tests and tweaks...
    95281.jpg95282.jpg
    Those are some really nice materials. The kind I want to reach out and touch because they look so real. :D
  • rojrenrojren2298 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,970Member
    Looks great. I never noticed the swans on the chair before. I hope you do the 2002 version. I love the look of the big spinning chunky lenses.
    Those materials are first rate my friend.:)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    If I didn't know better I'd have thought these were photos of the real prop. Very nice job.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Dam Steve these look great.
    Make me want to clime into it and take it for a spin though time.