Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

How do i make my ships regestry numbers look good up close

rangerbobrangerbob0 Posts: 0Member
I may have over looked it somewhere here but im working on a model of the Enterprise-C and while the flat textures look good anything at a angle like the registry or anything else thats at an angle looks like crap up close when rendered im using a 4k x 4k BMP as the texture any help or advise would be appreciated oh im using 3ds max 2009 and Photoshop CS5 if that helps any
Post edited by rangerbob on

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9709 Posts: 5,302Member
    YOu can stencil/cut them into the hull. If not set the blur setting on the texture map to something really low instead of the default 1.0 Say .1 or so. I would also use something other than BMP, say PNG etc Least then you can ustilize 256 alpha.

cutting hull reg tut here:
    http://madkoifish.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/modeled-registriestestdecals/
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • rangerbobrangerbob0 Posts: 0Member
    Dude thank you ive been looking all over creation for something like this (thanks google for not being useful for once)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Not sure if that was part of MKF's tutorial or not, but if you cut them in on a separate object hovering just slightly above the hull, you can easily switch it for a different registry
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Though, make sure you set it to not cast shadows. ;) Yeah, nothing beats modeled registry markings. They look good from any distance and angle. :)