Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Hyperion NX-10001

calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
edited April 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all,

This is my new project I'm working on. I'm not exactly sure which era this ship belongs in. I've taken design elements from the Oberth class but I think the ship looks a bit swept back for the movie era. Anyways, here's what I've done so far;

Name: USS Hyperion
Registry: NX-10001
Propulsion: Experimental Transphasic Warp Drive

Attachment not found.
Post edited by calamity_si on
Tagged:

• AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Transphasic warp? That alomost sounds post-Nemesis. Yet the nacelles are downright movie-era, but they don't fit the overall shape (and they're the nacelles I liked least).
  • calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Ok thanks for the awesome feedback. I'll work on it! ;-)
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    yep, first thing I noticed were the oberth nacelles ( not a bad thing mind you :) )

do you have an idea scetched out on what transphasic warp drive is? or what it does??

looks great!
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    It looks interesting, like a further development of the traditional nacelles, incorporating elements from the vulcan ring drives.

However I'd suggest, first and foremost, to establish an era for the ship. And then to further modify all of its aspects, adding more details and making it look more experimental. Right now it just looks like a typical ship with an added "roll bar" over the nacelles.

I definitively like it so far, but I know you can still make it much better.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    I think this would be a great design if the Role bar were removed or altered conventionally, the neck widened and the secondary hull rounded just s a touch.

The engines and pylons look perfect.
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    It is indeed an interesting start and like more people suggested take a era/period and use that as a base. I do like the Oberth nacelles though. If you upgrade those some more it would indeed be nice additions.
    Ok, interesting difference of opinion on the engines there. I definitely agree that the neck needs a bit of beefing up. I've been doodling warp Nacelles all day and I'd like to see how some of those ideas pan out. I'm gonna keep the roll bar and pod for now as its a major component of it's experimental design. However, I think its a bit high up so I might lower I it down a wee bit. Thanks for all the input so far guys. I do take it on board and appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming! More updates soon.
    But true that, first nail down the era, then you can refine the ships design accordingly. Because every era has it's own forms.
    Ok, interesting difference of opinion on the engines there. I definitely agree that the neck needs a bit of beefing up. I've been doodling warp Nacelles all day and I'd like to see how some of those ideas pan out. I'm gonna keep the roll bar and pod for now as its a major component of it's experimental design. However, I think its a bit high up so I might lower I it down a wee bit. Thanks for all the input so far guys. I do take it on board and appreciate all the suggestions. Keep them coming! More updates soon.

Keep in Mind Warp Propulsion Logic:

Many ships defy the logic of the warp field like Akira, Yager, Breen Firage and Birds of Prey because their overall shape does consolidate the ships mass with in a the bubble but rather forces warp field to stretch around odd shape extended pieces. Just like a magnetic field a warp fields strength lies at the heart and is strongest around smooth rounded shapes (again just like a magnetic field). Thats the purpose of the saucer to shape the forward bow of the field. Even better are ships like the Vulcan ships which give a shape that coutours the entire design. Like Voyager these should be Trek's faster ship as the temporal resistance is reduced while traveling through space time.

Apparently from my observations ships like the Prometheus and Dauntless have the pointed forward sections in order to creative a protective barrier around the ship with the deflector to penetrate a supposed "Time barrier" as I call it, aswell to survive the heat of slipstream entry and deceleration.

I would say this ship might fit into that theorem with the role bar helping to shape the field but like Voyager it should have field enhancers around the saucer (in this case around the role bar) to shore up the field in that potentially weaker area. I think the overall design could fit into the faster category with some tweaks.
  • Halo BuffHalo Buff331 Posts: 0Member
    I see an Excelsior, Miranda, and an Oberth in there. I rather like the concept as it is, though perhaps a bit broader around the edges of the saucer, in keeping with most Federation saucer-secondary-twin-nacelle designs.
    Hi all,

Thanks again for all the comments. Yeah I've just finished work on my Sketchup Excelsior which has heavily influenced this design. I've decided to try and update the ship so that it looks like it belongs in the post-Nemesis rather than TMP era. It may not look that way now, but I'm gonna work on the texturing which should hopefully bring it up to spec.

First of all, I've changed the warp nacelles into something I hope looks a bit unusual and experimental. Again, they need a lot more surface detail but I'm posting it now to get some feedback on their general shape. I've also shown some different angles which show off the impulse engines. These were meant to show a kind of evolution from the Excelsior, where the engines tail off from the saucer section. These ones are much more 'built in' and have a crescent-shaped recess cut out between them, through which you can see a deflector crystal recessed into the secondary hull. :thumb:

Attachment not found.
    A slight tweak and (hopefully) improvement to the nacelles

Attachment not found.
    Very experimental-y. Nice work there.

One thing I just noticed. The registry, NX-10001, the number seems somewhat wrong.

The Excelsior (TMP-era) had NX-2000, but the Defiant (DS9-era) had NX-74205. So your numbering is somewhat.. misgiving.
    Yeah it needs an extra zero doesn't it? Or perhaps a letter?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Certainly looks interesting, I think you're right, just needs some more details on the nacelles and that pod on top, maybe panels that slide away for when warp speed kicks in or something? Either way, an interesting design which looks like it is coming along nicely. Also perhaps alter the overall shape of the upper pod a little? As it currently looks a little too much like the torp launcher module from the Miranda class which is obiviously the inspiration for this detail.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Certainly looks interesting, I think you're right, just needs some more details on the nacelles and that pod on top, maybe panels that slide away for when warp speed kicks in or something? Either way, an interesting design which looks like it is coming along nicely. Also perhaps alter the overall shape of the upper pod a little? As it currently looks a little too much like the torp launcher module from the Miranda class which is obiviously the inspiration for this detail.

Cheers for the feedback mate. Definitely agree with you about that upper pod. I think when its fully textured it'll look a bit less like a Miranda pod. At least that's what I hope...
    A test render in Kerkythea showing some new modifications the nacelles.

Attachment not found.
    A test render in Kerkythea showing some new modifications the nacelles.

Attachment not found.

The front of the nacelles is nice new look but I'm not sure of the segmented aft section of the nacelles.
    Looking really cool, but some of the geometry seems to be a little off.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Looking really cool, but some of the geometry seems to be a little off.

Can you be a little more specific? Are the warp engines not even? Pod too low? In the words of Johnny-5; "Need Imput!!" lol!

Attachment not found. Attachment not found.
    :lol: Sorry, I was talking about the aft part of the nacelles.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm liking parts of the ship, always a fan of Excelsior inspired designs! My 2 cents:

try canting the angle of the pylons for the upper pod so that from the side view it matches the nacelle pylons. The saucer details give the impression of a very small ship when compared to the rest of the ship. This may be rectified as you add details to the secondary hull. how big is it? The small neck combined with the fairly thick saucer reminds me of a "bobble head" toy. Especially in side on views.
    I'm afraid I didn't have time this morning to do a fancy Kerkythea render, but I will get around to it. I really want to see how those new windows look glowing in the dark. Anyways, I've crammed a few different views into one frame here. I've taken on board some comments and changed the pod roll bar so that it matches the warp pylons. I've also changed the pod itself to better match the nacelles and I've slightly changed the nacelles themselves too. The neck has been thickened and some detail added to the tail section. :thumb:

Attachment not found.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    It is coming along nicely, like what you have done for the most part here. The only real issue I see is that the warp nacelles, especially the rear of the them need a lot of work, you need to define the shape you want back there better, at the moment the mesh is all pinched and non-descript, you really need to figure out what you want back there, as with a clearer idea in your head you'll be better able to go forward and model it. The front of the nacelles are really looking good, and I like that you have mirrored these details on the pod.

Perhaps with the rear of the nacelles you need to look at ref images of various trek ships for inspiration to find a design solution that fits?
    Mate, that's great feedback! When I get home tonight I'm gonna smash that Nacelle out and deliver a much better version!
    I'm concerned about the massive cut out on the back of the saucer. What's the purpose?
    I'm beginning to like the design.
    But with that first aft-view, I was somewhat surprised how slim the ship is. Maybe it's just the angle, but from that view, it seemed disproportionate.
    Latest update: I've tried to define the nacelles a little bit more. I've replaced the original round windows with more rectangular ones as these are more in keeping with modern most-movie era designs. Seeing as this is a highly experimental vessel, I've invented a new kind of pendant strip to decorate it with. It still retains the Starfleet delta and red stripes but also includes a 'hazard tape' black and yellow pattern.

Attachment not found.

I've also re-thought a bit about the back-story to go with the ship, which includes some details about it's new propulsion drive. I'm thinking that instead of 'transphasic warp drive' the ship is actually the test-bed vehicle for a 'jump-gate' drive. You see the same blue pattern on the front of the warp nacelles and the upper pod? This is meant to imply that the power generated by the engines is channelled through the upper pod to create a kind of hyper-dimensional gateway that pinches together two points in space and allows the ship to cross vast distances instantaniously. Kinda like the jump gates of Babylon 5. On it's test mission, the ship opens up a "Quantum Jumpgate" to the beta-quadrant but the jumpgate is unstable. The Hyperion disappears into the phenomenon and vanishes without a trace...

After the initial disaster with 'Quantum Jumpgate' technology, the designs are placed back on the drawing board indefinately. The spaceframe, however, is sound and the design is released into commercial production with standard warp drive. This production-version comes without the test-vehicle's roll-bar/pod arrangement.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Has a fast Orion wanderer vibe to it.
    A quick update to show what the production version of the ship looks like without it's experimental roll bar. I really wanted to go for an Excelsior look that looks a bit more updated and I think I'm not too far from the finish line with this one now...

Attachment not found.