Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

NX-01 Enter/Exit Warp Trail Effect

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
Anyone wouldn't happen to know how that effect was achieved?

I plan on doing some NX-01 animations in the future, and I've been trying to figure out how that effect was done for years now, with no luck.
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    There are a few ways to pull it off. I'm not sure what was used by the actual production team.

Firstly and most easily, is to render the scene twice, once with the ship moving normally (your normal animation) and the 2nd time is to introduce a major amount of Blur on the same scene and render it seperately, then combine the two scenes afterwards using a difference filter.

The scene was done in lightwave, I screwed around with it about 6 years ago and was able to replicate a pretty similar effect using the above described method, granted it's probably inefficient but the unique warp blurringness comes down to how Lightwave 7.5 calculated it's motion blurs (they were very linear back then not really customizable).

hope that helps in some way, i'm wracking my brain trying to remember it, it was so long ago.

The 2nd method that I've used (more with my TNG ones) was to render out the colour scene normally, then render out an alpha of the warp and impulse engines. then i took those into After Effects and worked blur magic on them (Multiple masks using the alphas as a base).
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    In After Effects there is an effect that locks quite similar to this. I don't remember the name of that effect and need to check out later.

Edit: Take a look at the CC Light Burst 2.5 effect.