Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCoolhands 3D printing projects.

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Oh boy, Can't wait until it's print-ready. You bet I'll be up for it! :D If i make a rough guess-timation taking the door as a 3,5cm reference, I'd say it would be roughly 14-16cm. A perfect size for a Rhino/Razorback alternative for 40K. It would look wicked, painted up and weathered. :p
  • PheonixPheonix1 Posts: 0Member
    looooooove it! :thumb:

couple of suggestions: add features to help counter RPG's and IED's such as a v-shaped hull and diamond shaped fuselage as well as standardized attachment hardpoints to allow additional armor kits to be fitted and removed quickly and efficiently without the need for cutting and welding.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    ^ So you are saying build something totaly different even though you looooove this one?;)

As fast as Steve models he could churn out varients pretty dang fast if he so desired.
    i said it was a suggestion. the very least, he could make the fuselage a bit more diamond like. of course, i'm sure there are other things he could do to make the vehicle better at countering RPG's and the like. doesn't have to make it more diamond like.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Meph, what actual scale is that?

btw guys it does have a shaped hull under there so don't sweat it, specifications were discussed earlier in the thread.

Anyway, seems its just in time, swear I had not seen these before... I'll probably have to make one of these junkers too, and maybe give El Diablo a bigger gun.:lol:
    Wow, those are some pretty orkish vehicles. :D

Well, I'm a bit unsure exactly what scale 40K is. Generally it's just a little bit smaller than 1/35 in traditional modelling scale. Otherwise it's described as 28mm 'heroic'. I just measured on of the recent marine models and they stand 3.4cm from toe to the tip of the helmet.
  • TankboyTankboy0 Posts: 2Member
    Having spent 6 years in the US Army, driving M1 tanks, I would hope that you truly have a better idea for a powerplant than Twin Turboshaft engines, and for more than one reason.

1) Turboshafts have horrific fuel economy. The M1 Tank can operate for between 8-14 hours on 500 Gallons of gas. A comparble, 1500 BHP 12 cylinder air cooled V-12 engine can run up to 72 hours on 250 gallons of gas. The Gas Turbine also operates somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 RPMs. That means your drive train is either going to be maintenance intensive, or exceptionally heavy. In the M1, the transmission weighs a couple of tons, and its glitches take a few minutes to isolate, but a couple of hours to fix.

2) the exhaust which is going to be around 1800-2000 F degrees will destroy any hopes this vehicle has of being stealthy. Anyone with even charge coupled device night vision will be able to see the exhaust glowing in the dark, and considering the back ground you gave of this vehicle, you don't need channel 14 news getting footage of it in action.

My suggestion would be to use a pair of V-6 twin turbo two stroke air cooled diesel engines. The fuel economy is better, and the exhaust is more easily thermal shielded.
    if yer going for increased armament, i suggest adding Javelin missiles as well as LTL weapons such as L-RADS and Active Denial before upgunning. if yer looking for thermal stealth, read the following; http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-12/future-tanks-will-be-cooler-and-thus-invisible-thermal-detection
    Pheonix, thanks for the link, that illustrates a lot of the features that this vehicle would use, I think a missile upgrade is also a pretty good idea, considering 'El monstro!'

As for comparing it to an MBT, The M1 is a completely different beast: Gigantic, heavy & tracked, it's not going to get good mileage whatever you put in it. Its going to have to use more fuel just to keep up at a certain speed because of the massive rolling resistance and just, well, its hugeness so any comparison there is really irrelevant. As for engines, you unfortunately only mention horsepower but that is only part of it; the extra fuel being expended by your tanks turbine is not simply being evaporated in an effort to speed global warming, its being used to provide extra torque. Essentially a V12 will not cut it in terms of performance and a gas turbine will perform much better than you suggest in a fair comparison, the only way to equal the powerful turbine would be to make the piston engine way larger, and way heavier, which is impractical and counter productive and probably use even more fuel than the turbine.

Also my government sources tell me the turbines in this are a far more advanced design than used the comparatively ancient M1, around 50 years ahead of that 1970's tech. Although figures are classified, thanks to active and passive cooling systems and efficient design the exhaust temps are far lower than your estimate, and it would obviously not, and have no need to run at full power all the time either. It may also be able to switch to electrical operation for better stealth at times, with batteries charged from part of the output of the turbines.
    what about a hybrid system? i definitely know that that is one of the engines being considered for the Ground Combat Vehicle.
    Alright marines listen up;), http://www.shapeways.com/model/728130/diablo_apc___6mm_scale_with_aero_mods_.html?key=7a1df9ddefb8af394cfc6aee58681efd the first version, at last, is released at shapeways, this is a approx 1:300 scale version, lots of detail and hollow interior.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool, nice.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Hey Coolhand, how does it look when printed? Do you have an example ready?
    Thanks guys, It's literally been uploaded this morning, so no not yet. I've uploaded lots of models for this process so everything is well within tolerances etc - i've made the hull walls over 3 times the minimum thickness for example. Also shapeways check the models over to make sure they print ok, if they don't then shapeways cancels the order and refunds everyone so its perfectly safe and hassle free to order one, I've checked it over several times myself.

Here are some pics of the specific 6mm conversion, i've included a little friend from Microworld games TEF infantry I designed last year (not included)
    98016.jpg98017.jpg98018.jpg
    decided i could make them a little more affordable by bundling a few together... I also totally redesigned the sprue structure, so all pieces are held together for cleaning and shipping.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/728890/el-diablo-6mm-scale-pack-of-three.html
    98023.jpg
  • MajorPayneMajorPayne0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks fantastic coolhand. Remove the canon of the top I can almost see this on Top Gear.
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    I have absolutely no idea what shapeways is but, this model is awesome . . .
    totally digging the APC feel . . reminds me a little of the APC from Aliens . .
    gp
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Quite impressive!

I really like how it's futuristic and yet a logical evolution of today's APCs.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    gp
    it a place that uses thos cnc printer thingys to make plastic replicas of 3d models and stuff
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Quite impressive!

I really like how it's futuristic and yet a logical evolution of today's APCs.
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    gp

Thanks guys, yeah the aliens APC has a fantastic lowrider look, so I knew i wanted to do something like that, but could also ride high in the air too (as the cobb design was basically impractical, but I always figured it would raise up for off road, we just never saw it do it)... As much as anything to inspire the shape I kinda thought of the form of a big cat, hunched up and low and ready to pounce... Other elements have some very 70's and 80's secret project styling - like a real military thing, with design roots that are perhaps decades old... If its too wild or too elaborate it just doesn't end up looking like something that would actually be built for a practical purpose.

Anyway, shapeways, is pretty awesome, http://www.shapeways.com/shops/coolhand and shapeways, man where have you been:) Get anything you want modelled and printed and delivered to you.
    MajorPayne wrote: »
    Looks fantastic coolhand. Remove the canon of the top I can almost see this on Top Gear.

Clarkson prefers to leave the turret on.;)
    Dude! Awesome! that model looks very crisp indeed.
    And again, if you bring this out in a decent 40K scale, you've got yourself a buyer right here! Damn, that thing is sexy!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Looking Dam nice Mate.
    Thanks guys, Meph, just lemme know what size you'd like it and i'll make a version available.
    Cool! Well, I've got two scaling option I guess. One would be to calculate using the back hatch as 28mm height, and the other might be to the use turret socket as a reference. In case the 'socket' for the turret is wide & round, much like the razorback & Predator 40K vehicles, it would be awesome to be able to switch weapon turrets with 40K models.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    If i had the dimensions of the turret socket and i can always modify or build an adaptor.... so it's currently a 6mm figure scale, scaling it up to a 28mm fig scale would make it considerably larger (i'd go back to the older version, so you could even try the working suspension)

What would be a reasonable price for it though? it can't be as cheap as a mass produced item, I don't set the prices, i've shied away from larger scales so far because it quickly goes up in cost.
    Well, I'll measure up the turret socket for the Razorback & predator this evening. :thumb:

As a customer, I'd naturally tend to lean towards the lower end of the price scale. ^^
    Considering the price of the small model, I'd guess that anywhere between 50-70EUR would be a fair price for something that will be roughly 5 times as large. Of course, this would depend a bit on the base price that Shapeways will charge for the material I guess.
    The more detailed version sounds very interesting indeed and the larger complexity would warrant the price to be mroe towards the 70EUR scale ro even above.

I wouldn't be too shy about larger models, if it's cool looking and good quality, people will pay for it.
    well a simple scale up with no further optimisation from my (unreleased) 15mm version puts it at just shy of 200 euros, and thats before I add any markup to it.

Thats in the most expensive, very high detail plastic material. there's a cheaper material, which still does detail down to about 0.3mm that would more than halve that cost though.

thing that has to be considered is that its a volume thing, so a model twice as long costs EIGHT times as much.... Conversely a model half the size costs 1/8th because the volume is 1/8th.

However i may be able to shave some off that... well, quite a lot off that by redoing all the walls for a thinner thickness, probably halve the volume there. but I'm not sure it would look big enough for your warhammer stuff, so would probably want to go even higher. at my quick scale up its 120x60x45mm
    Yeah, 200-ish does seem a bit on the steep side for a model that size. But considering the uniqueness and crafting process of the model, around 100 seems steep but also rather acceptable. For example, lot of the all-resin Forgeworld tanks can easily go up 70-90 British pounds, which would also be a 100-ish Euros.

And a 0.3mm detail level seems already crisp enough. Going finer would look better but I'm not sure if it would warrant the cost on that scale.

Oh, the turret sockets for 40K vehicles are 21mm, so a 21.5mm hole would fit them nicely.

Size-wize... 12cm is the exact length of those newer Rhino models, but considering the look & feel of the model, I feel that a slightly bigger size would suit it better, maybe with a lentgth of 13-14cm and rescaled accordingly??

Anyways, quite honestly, I'd be willing to cough up to a 100 as a kind of end-of-the-year gift for myself for a 40k scvale of this beast. The quality of design is worth it. Of course, anything you can shave off in terms of material volume would be more than welcome.
    Thanks Meph, thats very encouraging i'll look into it soon... I feel very confident that the suspension will work great at that scale too, as everything will be far beyond the minimum tolerance for printing moving parts (which is a good thing).
    Cool, looking forward to that. ^^