Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalNormandy SR2 - 3 FOOT MODEL!

KianShepardKianShepard0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2012 in Finished Work #1
The title is just what I mean. After playing the game over and over, loving the ship, and seeing all the other works people have been doing i decided to have a go at it.

The result is what you see below! A completed 3d build of the Normandy SR2 right out of the game files. Once build this monster comes in at just over 3 Feet long! And anyone with a decent color printer, scissors, glue and patience, can have one of their own!

SR2.jpg
AllianceSr2.jpg

**SEE END OF THREAD - LINKS TEMPORARILY REMOVED FOR MODEL REVISIONS AND REPOSTING**
Post edited by KianShepard on
Tagged:

• TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    is this a papercraft model??
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    whoa please explain more, this sounds awesome
  • KianShepardKianShepard0 Posts: 0Member
    Correct! This is a papercraft model. It requires a good amount of skill and experience to build but it will be worth it. With the launch of ME3 coming closer, and now seeing how it looks in full scale with the Alliance skin, i will release it will the Alliance skin as an option. I will also be posting additional files for download. Another version with all of the fold lines, and versions in PDF for mac users who cannot use Pepakura.
    Links have been updated for downloads!
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    is there any advantage in using this PDO format? if not I'll use the PDF for simplicity
    With the PDO file, you get the advantage of seeing the model completed, and the parts side by side. When you click on a part, you can see where it is on the model, and how it should be shaped/folded. I love Pepakura for that because you don't have to question, how does it fit or how is it supposed to fit, or where does this go. :)
  • douglas128douglas128171 MalaysiaPosts: 0Member
    Thanks for the effort but what is the password?
    Hello all!

Sorry i've been away for a bit. Lots to do lately. After playing thru the game I had the chance to finally dig back into this. Below I have posted some updated builds along with the long awaited ALLIANCE NORMANDY SKINS!

I have locked the files on purprose against editing only, but you can still change the skins if you like. Sorry if i screwed that up on my prior post, but thats why i wanted to update them :) I have not had a chance to convert them to PDF and probably won't for a spell. The conversion takes a lot of time and processing power that I have not been able to spare lately. Sorry Macs :( Hope you guys enjoy and post your build pics!

Thanks,

Kian
    One small update. I re-uploaded my models as I found a couple of big errors in my layout and had a couple of pieces overlapping on a page. I have fixed that and updated a few more glue flaps. Links at the top have been updated.

Thanks!
  • DeksDeks200 Posts: 259Member
    Can you provide orthographic pics of the ship itself?
    Good Day All,

A good friend who is currenly building this model pointed out a small defect in the Alliance skin. You see the defect on the 3d view in Pepakura on the right side of the hull in front of NORMANDY. I checked the texture file, and it does not appear on the texture, so its most likely an error on the 3d model before going into Pepakura. Especially frustrating considering that it takes a ton of work coming from the modeling program prepping it for pepakura. I will include that in my list of updates/fixes for my next revision of the model.

Also I wanted to get some feedback on further simplifying the model. I have included some Yes/No's below to see what everyone might think. My thoughts have been to make the black window sections flush with the rest of the hull, and eliminate the 45 degree angles that join the bottom with the sides of the hull. This will preserve detail in look, but make the model much easier to build.

1) Recessed black window sections; Make flush with rest of hull (Yes/No)

2) Convert all 45 degree angles to full 90 (Yes/No)

Keep in mind it will be some time before i can circle back to this project due to work and other such life items interfering with my fun! But whatya do. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you again for all of your support guys!
    Sorry guys I have to pull the links. I will repost once I have a chance to come back to this project and dedicate more time to it. Once I have finished the updates, I will post old and new versions as well as some build pics. As we have seen there are a few issues to work out.

Sorry for the problems gents.

Grale
  • Ali86Ali860 Posts: 0Member
    Hello Grale, Thanks for letting us know about the defect (before we get to print it and begin building and modeling it). I would say keep the model as realistic as possible without doing alterations that would compromise how much it's faithful it is to the in-game original. I would go with "more complex and harder to build than easier to build but less faithful to the original". We know it requires a ton of work and time from you but We'll be waiting for your updates whenever you finish them. Best of luck and don't forget to let us know when they're ready! and thank you again for your hard work! you have our full support:)
    Thanks for finally putting up the Alliance skin. Can't wait to try building it. BTW, I have already printed the Cerberus version before discovering the overlapping pages.
  • PokemozPokemoz0 Posts: 0Member
    I tried it to page 8 and it is very hard to build. I found out that some reinforcement inside the model might be nice. Maybe some partition walls which are also be used as structure reinforcement. That might help to keep the model round. With some of this walls it's also possible to model the ship in parts. Working with a 2 feet hull is not very easy :) But if it could be modeled in parts (maybe 3) it might be easier.

I tried the "less folding lines" version. Cutting and gluing worked like a charm but getting a round hull was not possible. Maybe I folded a bit too hard so the edges became too soft. God my english is bad :)
    So my ship was a flat one :D Inner structural inforcements could also fix this issue.
    Did anyone else started work on this?

**SEE END OF THREAD - LINKS TEMPORARILY REMOVED FOR MODEL REVISIONS AND REPOSTING**

When will the links be available?