Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMy VFX: Star Trek Movie Projects

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
edited September 2016 in Finished Work #1
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Tagged:

• TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Holy crap Chris! When I first started watching the latest video, I thought I was looking at the miniatures from the film and not CG. Excellent work. And there is quite a noticeable difference between the latest and the older videos. The lighting seems to be bang on. In the older video, the Enterprise looks like a toy almost, where the newer video looks just like the film. I don't want you to think I am bashing your older video. I would be ecstatic to be able to produce something of that quality. It's just that your new video is outstanding.

Is the space dock available here at the forums for download? I would love to try something like that when I get my Enterprise done.

Thanks...
    Al
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    I love the reflections in the... what are those things? Lights? Reflectors? The big stained-glass-looking things. Great!
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Holy crap Chris! When I first started watching the latest video, I thought I was looking at the miniatures from the film and not CG. Excellent work. And there is quite a noticeable difference between the latest and the older videos. The lighting seems to be bang on. In the older video, the Enterprise looks like a toy almost, where the newer video looks just like the film. I don't want you to think I am bashing your older video. I would be ecstatic to be able to produce something of that quality. It's just that your new video is outstanding.

Is the space dock available here at the forums for download? I would love to try something like that when I get my Enterprise done.

Thanks...
    Al

Thanks. :D

Unfortunately not, it's over on Foundation3D in Lightwave format only I'm afraid... had to manually convert the model to Max myself.
    rojren wrote: »
    I love the reflections in the... what are those things? Lights? Reflectors? The big stained-glass-looking things. Great!

I think they're supposed to be heat lamps... but don't quote me on it, lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • borjisborjis0 Posts: 0Member
    nicely done!
    Unfortunately not, it's over on Foundation3D in Lightwave format only I'm afraid... had to manually convert the model to Max myself.

Thanks Chris. I checked at Foundation 3D and saw only 2 blueprints for Sci-Fi as well as searching for Dry Dock. Maybe if I am not a member, I am limited as to what I am able to see. Anyway, don't have Lightwave.

Looks like I know what my next project will be... :D

Al
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    distance shots are really good.
    but the paint material isnt finished. its more shiny and mirrorish. there, its just flat.
    keep on ;)
    Thanks Chris. I checked at Foundation 3D and saw only 2 blueprints for Sci-Fi as well as searching for Dry Dock. Maybe if I am not a member, I am limited as to what I am able to see. Anyway, don't have Lightwave.

Looks like I know what my next project will be... :D

Al

You need to be a member to download it, but here it is:

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=224&p13_fileid=991

However, yea, it sucks that most of these models are in Lightwave...

haha, I'm sure you could model a killer drydock.
    L2K wrote: »
    distance shots are really good.
    but the paint material isnt finished. its more shiny and mirrorish. there, its just flat.
    keep on ;)

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Thanks once again Chris.

I signed up for Foundation 3D and downloaded the dry dock model. I lucked out in that C4D r11 has a Lightwave converter and loaded the model perfectly!

[edit]

Just for the heck of it, I played around with the drydock and the saucer section that I've got done, some quick lighting and the Planet X Generator C4D plugin.

[/edit]

Al
    Thanks once again Chris.

I signed up for Foundation 3D and downloaded the dry dock model. I lucked out in that C4D r11 has a Lightwave converter and loaded the model perfectly!

[edit]

Just for the heck of it, I played around with the drydock and the saucer section that I've got done, some quick lighting and the Planet X Generator C4D plugin.

[/edit]

Al

Nice. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    That was amazing, Chris! You added some really nice extra touches, such as the reflections in those blue, lighted things, subtle light flares, and the moon (bonus points for that!). Your stuff merged pretty much seamlessly with the film sequences. The only thing I can suggest that might put this over the top is if we could see a reflection of the scene on the glass of the travelpod throughout the sequence, not just on that close-up of Kirk. Yeah, it would obscure the figures inside the pod at times ... but I think the effect would knock people out! Excellent work!
  • mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    That's well done mate Chris, so much progress since the previous one, I like the lensflare effects a lot. It's a pity that you didn't render it in Widescreen format.

You could put some more details to the dock, but that's only a nitpick.
    That was amazing, Chris! You added some really nice extra touches, such as the reflections in those blue, lighted things, subtle light flares, and the moon (bonus points for that!). Your stuff merged pretty much seamlessly with the film sequences. The only thing I can suggest that might put this over the top is if we could see a reflection of the scene on the glass of the travelpod throughout the sequence, not just on that close-up of Kirk. Yeah, it would obscure the figures inside the pod at times ... but I think the effect would knock people out! Excellent work!
    mylex wrote: »
    That's well done mate Chris, so much progress since the previous one, I like the lensflare effects a lot. It's a pity that you didn't render it in Widescreen format.

You could put some more details to the dock, but that's only a nitpick.

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Here is the most recent previous version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzds7DXT3jA

Here is the new version:

The MP4 was over 600MB in size... exported at 30Mbps...

Can't embed more than 1 video now for some reason...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • Drake744Drake7440 Posts: 0Member
    Wow...I thought I was watching the movie itself
    outstanding...

Shep
    Drake744 wrote: »
    Wow...I thought I was watching the movie itself
    outstanding...

Shep

Thanks. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

Just a little quick video I made...

I did this shot a few years ago, as part of a longer video, though not trying to match the shot...

... and with less skills than now... aside from the lack of a high resolution CG model, though Wiley's model is still superb considering it's made for a game... and Paul Trenkler's is nice, and high poly, but it lacks the features of the Nemesis Enterprise E...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Hey Chris when you hit the "0" button to do that Ram preview in after effects, is it only suppose to do 20 seconds or more?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Hey Chris when you hit the "0" button to do that Ram preview in after effects, is it only suppose to do 20 seconds or more?

I usually click the RAM Preview button, and it usually does all the frames of my animation... like this Nemesis video was 740-50 frames... it was able to do them all...

To quote an Adobe employee:
    RAM preview works by caching as many frames as possible into the RAM that you've allocated to the foreground After Effects application. When the RAM preview cache is full, After Effects plays the frames from the cache.

If you want to make RAM previews longer, you can do all sorts of things, but they basically break down into two categories: allocate more RAM to After Effects or reduce the amount of memory that each frame takes up.

In the end, realize that RAM preview is not suitable for playing an entire long composition at full resolution and full frame rate. Sometimes, you just have to render out a test file to see how things look.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro

I think it's pretty much done... all the project files, WIP videos, this video, etc. for this project total 18.5 GB... this video alone is 1.06 GB in size. The After Effects File that contains all the composites total 73.2 MB.

Now, I'm gonna begin working on my revisit of the Enterprise finale ending... while I continue to port Nightfever's JJ Enterprise over to Max.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • RandalRRandalR0 Posts: 0Member
    Some pretty tough stuff.

Wish I were as good.

Love the scenery and Lighting. KUDOS Mate !

Regards,

Randal R
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Damn!

One odd complaint ... which may have been mentioned already since I haven't read through the rest of the replies yet. At the 1:02 mark, as the Enterprise enters the nebula, it's impulse engines are dark. :(

That said ... it was like watching the movie again, only clearer! Nicely done!
    Beautiful work once again Chris.

Al
    RandalR wrote: »
    Some pretty tough stuff.

Wish I were as good.

Love the scenery and Lighting. KUDOS Mate !

Regards,

Randal R

Thanks.
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Damn!

One odd complaint ... which may have been mentioned already since I haven't read through the rest of the replies yet. At the 1:02 mark, as the Enterprise enters the nebula, it's impulse engines are dark. :(

That said ... it was like watching the movie again, only clearer! Nicely done!

Ah, good catch, I'll fix that and re-upload the video.
    Beautiful work once again Chris.

Al

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • 1701TPA1701TPA5 Posts: 0Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »

Finally it's complete, started this back in November... onto the departure. :D

See the first version I did back in June 2010... much different...

Post Related to Thumbnail

Outstanding Work! ... beautifully done!
    I would love to do something of that quality with our Prime Alternative Model, shuttle, dry dock and pods.. and tie it into an TOS-R episode.
    I am Blown Away :)
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Very nice work.
    The best shot, for me, is the Reliant's torpedo-launcher exploding.
  • ihlecreationsihlecreations0 Posts: 0Member
    In awe, amazing stuff. Would love to see you redo some of the effects from ST V, only make them better!
    In awe, amazing stuff. Would love to see you redo some of the effects from ST V, only make them better!

Thanks.

I've considered, I may get around to it before the end of the year.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,399Member
    I canA’t looking the videos in Germany.
    Have you a idea ?
    Greetings
    trekki wrote: »
    Have you a idea ?
    Greetings

Afraid I don't. :(
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    trekki wrote: »
    Have you a idea ?
    Greetings

is youtube blocked over there or something, if it is try a proxy. just don't sign into any accounts through it as the proxy could steal your login details.