Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Decals in Blender 2.61?

MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
I need to apply a decal to a mesh I'm working on. As the thread title states, I'm using Blender 2.61. I've already checked the web and everything I could find relates to older versions. I've also downloaded older versions and attempted the decal there, but with the same result that nothing shows up.

One thing I've noticed, both in Williamson's video tutorial ( http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/05/19/tip-placing-decals-with-empties/ ), and the text-and-picture version here: http://deviantvicky.deviantart.com/#/d3fsxhj is that there is a button under the Mapping tab labelled "Projection", which is set to "Flat".

That button is not in 2.61.

Not that it matters, as it's there in the 2.56 beta, and I still can't get the decal to show up.

The image used is a 512x512 .png file. It shows up fine in the texture image window

Long story short: How the heck do I apply a decal in Blender 2.61 (using empties)?
Post edited by MaxxRush on

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The Projection setting is there on mine. It's 2.61.
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    The Projection setting is there on mine. It's 2.61.

Hmmmm... dunno what's wrong then. I've downloaded both the 2.61 .zip and the .exe, and tried it with both. Is there something else I'm supposed to download and install? There's no mention anywhere that I have to get Python, as there was on earlier versions. I'm running a completely vanilla 2.61, with no add-ons applied yet

Edit: Might it be because the mesh was built in 2.49b and carried over to 2.61? If so, the original question remains: How to apply a decal in 2.49b? There are no tutorials I have found for that version. I'd really prefer to do it in 2.61 since it takes advantage of Win7 64 and 8gb of RAM.

Here's a screencap of what I have:
    93195.jpg
  • JSMJSM0 Posts: 0Member
    MaxxRush wrote: »
    Edit: Might it be because the mesh was built in 2.49b and carried over to 2.61?
    That is most likely the problem I have attached a blend file from 2.61. Load it up and see if the projection button is still missing. If that is the problem then when you load files from 2.49 uncheck load UI

This is how I do it...I directly modify the uv's instead of using the project modifier; I have more control that way. ;)

decal example.jpg

Uploading the .blend file in zip
    decal blend.zip
    93196.jpg
    JSM wrote: »
    That is most likely the problem I have attached a blend file from 2.61. Load it up and see if the projection button is still missing. If that is the problem then when you load files from 2.49 uncheck load UI

This is how I do it...I directly modify the uv's instead of using the project modifier; I have more control that way. ;)

decal example.jpg

Uploading the .blend file in zip
    decal blend.zip

Yeah, it showed up fine in your file. Okay, next stupid question: Where do I uncheck load UI?

As for UV's, I can't do that yet. Despite having used Blender for about 5 years or more, I still can't do that. I have some kind of learning inability where what I really need is someone looking over my shoulder babysitting me through the steps. I'm only half-kidding about that. Most tuts out there seem to assume one already knows a lot, and almost none are (despite what they say) geared towards complete newbs.

The only reason I can do as much as I can with Blender is because of Sphynx's Blender for the Faint-Hearted series of tutorials here. Even then, I'm still lost and confused when it comes to UV mapping. It would also help if I knew how to use a paint program (I have PSP, but mainly use it for photo cropping, resizing, and the like - I haven't the first clue on drawing anything in it, even though I have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Paint Shop Pro").

Somebody else provided the image I was using, and I knew that I could use it as a decal in Blender. Anyway, there you have it: a complete idiot trying to catch up with the experts around here <grin>
    Yeah, it showed up fine in your file. Okay, next stupid question: Where do I uncheck load UI?
    When you go to open the file it should look like this...
    Monkey decal_No load UI.jpg
    ...if it does not then hit the N key :) this opens the side menu shown.
    As for UV's, I can't do that yet. Despite having used Blender for about 5 years or more, I still can't do that...
    ...Somebody else provided the image I was using, and I knew that I could use it as a decal in Blender. Anyway, there you have it: a complete idiot trying to catch up with the experts around here <grin>
    I wouldn't call my self an expert either...as I have only been using blender for around 2 1/2 years (with no prior 3D experience)...A recommendation about UV unwrapping don't psych your self out and don't be afraid to experiment-this will result in quick learning gains ;)
    93217.jpg
    When you go to open the file it should look like this...
    Monkey decal_No load UI.jpg
    ...if it does not then hit the N key :) this opens the side menu shown.

I wouldn't call my self an expert either...as I have only been using blender for around 2 1/2 years (with no prior 3D experience)...A recommendation about UV unwrapping don't psych your self out and don't be afraid to experiment-this will result in quick learning gains ;)

Okay... I ended up deleting my original copy of 2.61 and redownloaded and reinstalling it. Before bringing the mesh into 2.61, I made sure to uncheck load UI, and the Projection button was there. I then proceeded to follow all the steps in the tuts I mentioned above, but I still couldn't get the decal to show. At some point, the Projection button disappeared as well.

So, since I can't seem to do this in 2.61, do you or does anyone else know how to add decals in 2.49b? I can put up with longer render times if it means I can get the decal in the shot. Or should I try 2.59, as you seem to like it, judging by your signature <g>

I'm assuming if I try 2.59, the steps should be fairly similar to what I've been doing...?

Edit: Well, I just tried it in 2.59, and still nothing, not even the projection button.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The projection thing didn't show up for me when I first clicked on the texture thing because I hadn't created a material for that object. (I tested with a simple cube) I created a material, then clicked on the texture thing. That and many other options that hadn't been there previously appeared. I don't know if that helps or not, I'm a big noob when it comes to Blender.
    The projection thing didn't show up for me when I first clicked on the texture thing because I hadn't created a material for that object. (I tested with a simple cube) I created a material, then clicked on the texture thing. That and many other options that hadn't been there previously appeared. I don't know if that helps or not, I'm a big noob when it comes to Blender.

The thing is, the wing in my image already has materials applied to it.

Anyway, I tried to do it in 2.49b, and I was able to get the decal on the default cube, but creating an empty that the decal is supposed to be controlled by did nothing. There was no option that I could see about selecting an object to attach the decal to, other than the cube itself. Of course, I was also unable to resize the decal to make it smaller than the face it was applied to.

This is irritating...

Edit: I have a feeling I'm simply going to have to create a mesh of the "decal" and just lay it on the wing like I did with the "NO STEP" text. Fun fun...
    The thing is, the wing in my image already has materials applied to it.

Well, I figured out the projection button problem...you have assigned the texture to the world instead of to the objects material, so it's time for a image tutorial:

Mini Tutorial1.jpg

Mini Tutorial2.jpg
    Anyway, I tried to do it in 2.49b, and I was able to get the decal on the default cube, but creating an empty that the decal is supposed to be controlled by did nothing. There was no option that I could see about selecting an object to attach the decal to, other than the cube itself. Of course, I was also unable to resize the decal to make it smaller than the face it was applied to.

I think it actually will work in 2.61...I am currently updating the monkey blend to show how to do the projection.
    93229.jpg93230.jpg
    Here we go...the updated .blend file...if you have any more questions ask away:)

decal blend2.zip
    Well, I figured out the projection button problem...you have assigned the texture to the world instead of to the objects material, so it's time for a image tutorial:

Mini Tutorial1.jpg

Mini Tutorial2.jpg

I think it actually will work in 2.61...I am currently updating the monkey blend to show how to do the projection.

I appreciate the help. I haven't tried anything yet in the image tut you posted, but I will in a few minutes.

I'm sure it *will* work in 2.61, I just can't figure out *how* to make it work. I guess that's what you're here for :D

Seriously, though, thank you so much for taking the time to try to help me out.

EDIT: YES!!!!!111111oneoneone

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I'm bouncing around like the little kid that got exactly what he wanted for his birthday.

In was even able to resize it, rotate it, and because I used Clip Cube, I don't have to worry about it showing up on the underside of the wing.

EDIT^2: Here's a render. Ignore the red blotch. It just covers the main part of the emblem. Due to an NDA, I can't really show anything more than what you see.
    93232.jpg
    I appreciate the help....
    Seriously, though, thank you so much for taking the time to try to help me out.
    You're welcome...I even learned a bit while helping you out :)
    EDIT: YES!!!!!111111oneoneone

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! I'm bouncing around like the little kid that got exactly what he wanted for his birthday.

In was even able to resize it, rotate it, and because I used Clip Cube, I don't have to worry about it showing up on the underside of the wing.
    Glad it's working now! :)
    EDIT^2: Here's a render. Ignore the red blotch. It just covers the main part of the emblem. Due to an NDA, I can't really show anything more than what you see.

I totally understand about not showing the emblem and what not...I have had to not show parts of my work sometimes too...I.E. what models I am working on for Babylon 5 I've Found Her: Black Omega :)
    I totally understand about not showing the emblem and what not...I have had to not show parts of my work sometimes too...I.E. what models I am working on for Babylon 5 I've Found Her: Black Omega :)

If I remember, somewhere around the house I've got the original demo version of B5IFH with untextured meshes that I downloaded and installed about 8-9 years ago (or something like that... it was awhile ago) - mainly used as a tech demo for the Newtonian physics. It's not on my comp anymore, but I'm pretty sure I burned it to a cd.

Of course, it may have been another homebrew B5 game. I'm too old to remember that far back.
    If I remember, somewhere around the house I've got the original demo version of B5IFH with untextured meshes that I downloaded and installed about 8-9 years ago (or something like that... it was awhile ago) - mainly used as a tech demo for the Newtonian physics. It's not on my comp anymore, but I'm pretty sure I burned it to a cd.

Of course, it may have been another homebrew B5 game. I'm too old to remember that far back.

That was most likely the Babylon 5 I've found her: Danger & Opportunity campaign....which is now finished and textured...although it doesn't have next gen graphics (normal maps are the main thing it's missing) it's still pretty cool to play...the only problem is that it is only 5 missions long :( Here's the link: http://ifhgame.ru/main/campaigns/what-was/danger-and-opportunity