Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMKF SOTL 2012 Animation Breakdown

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,322Member
edited December 2012 in Finished Work #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAqRej7q_4o?rel=0&

After many delays and other distractions here is the breakdown I mentioned.I could go on and on about the little details but I will just C&P the text from my youturd post.
Well, a simple breakdown animation of all the passes used to produce the Active Duty animation seen over at Doug Drexler's blog. (DREX Files)

While this took ages to render out with multiple passes and repeated attempts I still have a lot I would like to correct. There is some Mental ray flicker on the Ships and smaller craft, that I did not catch. This was caused by the overuse of LUM mats on those little "cargo trains" and with how FG works. I also have a nav light freaking out and inverting itself, likely again Mental Ray. I would have made this video much longer but I was constrained within 5 seconds. I have plans to redo this as a longer cut relating to a older story I have for the U.S.S. Balmung.
Each sequence took something like 4days to render. In the future I think I should look at less demanding render methods but I wanted to match the still image as close as possible.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
Tagged:

• tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Great job with the picture and the animation!

One suggestion - if you go through the hassle of doing a breakdown (I know itA’s a lot of work, this is why I tend to not do those :) ) I think it might be better to show the elements seperatly, as you can hardly see any differences if you just look at the comped pictures, unless you know where to look at.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yeah, there doesn't appear to be much of a difference shown between the passes. I know there is a difference, but it's not that visible.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    The "Active Duty" scenes in Doug's video dropped me to the floor! Everyone did such an incredible job bringing the still images to life. It's too bad we were constrained to five seconds. It's not easy to tell a story in 120 frames.

We all tend to be very critical of our own work, but I didn't notice any of the little "flubs" you mentioned above, MadKoi. All I saw was a beautiful animation. This breakdown is informative, but I must agree with Tobias and Chris. If we could see each pass on its own it would be much easier to distinguish how they integrate into the final version. Still, it was amazing to see those scenes. My hat is off to everyone for their hard work and outstanding results!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,322Member
    Yeah I thought about that, but for some reason I went with what I did. I will have look at doing as suggested though. Maybe something more inline with the AO Diffuse sequence where it tears over the image. I still need to upload the sequence alone too. Im still relearning Premier and the whole editing thing. Relearning premier as well since prior all I did was MV off Laserdisc caps. lol. Like back in 97??

Thing that annoys me the most is how limited it is with output, cannot control codec type how I am used to through fansub style editing with freebee tools.

HD version should show those FG issues I mentioned. Look at the smaller ships the right nacelle on the balmung and the centerline on the cargo pods (area where the docking rings are)
    What you did definitely looks good. I mean, I can see the elements being added, as I'm sure others who do CGI can. However, to people who don't do this stuff, it might not look that different. I do love seeing your scene in action. I know you don't do a lot of animation, but you should. You're good at it. :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice to see what is all required in making such a wonderful image.
    And great seeing these two ships once again. :)
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9792 Posts: 5,322Member

Separated the elements of each pass vs the additive method used earlier. Probably could do a better job of it but other things are taking up my time right now. Edited it to allow the same score to remain, this is the part where I got cheap and lazy! I did not want to search a new audio track. Most scenes I omitted the star field from the stack to better illustrate the added effect or pass.
    Nice. That's a clear breakdown on exactly what was added with each pass. Awesome work, dude. :thumb:
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    sorry to thread res. but I feel the Balmung is a good represenation of what the Rennisance class would of been. Maybe this is a batch one design and the batch two would be have the Red bussard collectors.
  • softcelsoftcel0 Posts: 0Member
    I can see the diiferent elements...Awesome work!:argh:
  • AdlerAdler0 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty nice work. How was the render time on that?