Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Single File - 12K Earth Maps

Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
I've been able to find a night map that's 12K in DDS format, but I can't seem to find any others, I've looked on Celestia Motherlode, NASA's Blue Marble, all I find it huge resolutions, and they're split into tiles... I'm looking for one complete 12K map... of the Earth's surface, unshaded if possible... I don't really understand the difference between shaded and unshaded, but looking at the previews on Celestia Motherlode, I like the unshaded maps better, also a 12k cloud map, and specular map...

I'd something like the 32k sets for the maps, but they come in 25+ tiles... and I don't know how to put them together in a reasonable amount of time...

Thanks for the help...

Update:
Nevermind, my computer can't handle 12K, to say nothing about 32K, so I guess I'm stuck with 8K...
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    for future reference when you get a new PC or something, I downloaded full 16k maps from there, you just have to dig a bit and you'll find them

there's a good reason the big ones come in tiles, when you double the resolution of an image you quadruple the memory it takes to use it
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You're not a big one for patience, are you? It would probably only take about an hour or so to put the tiles together in their proper order. You can use pretty much any vector graphics art program to do it.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    IRML wrote: »
    for future reference when you get a new PC or something, I downloaded full 16k maps from there, you just have to dig a bit and you'll find them

there's a good reason the big ones come in tiles, when you double the resolution of an image you quadruple the memory it takes to use it

Yea, using 8K maps, after opening up the Task Manager in Windows, it already uses almost all of my 4GB of RAM...
    You're not a big one for patience, are you?

Not really, but I do my best to be. lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I was about to upload the 21600x10800 diffuse and 43200x21600 cloud map, but I guess you won't have any use for those? :/
    Melak wrote: »
    I was about to upload the 21600x10800 diffuse and 43200x21600 cloud map, but I guess you won't have any use for those? :/

Yea, not until I get more RAM... when I got my new mobo I was thinking of the now, and not the future, so I got a mobo with the RAM limit of what I had, which is 4GB, lol.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    You don't need more RAM. Just set up a really large paging file. ;)

Besides, I've found that, even with larger amounts of RAM, the software doesn't always want to use it. But I also don't use Max, it might actually make use of more RAM than my software does.
    You don't need more RAM. Just set up a really large paging file. ;)

For my paging file settings... it says:

Minimum allowed: 16 MB
    Recommended: 6142 MB
    Currently allocated: 4095 MB

The settings are set to automatically manage the size...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    When I used to have RAM issues, I manually increased my paging file. It helps.

General issues, or with rendering?
    Because if your renderer has to page stuff, it *should* be so terribly slow that you wouldn't want to render anymore. HDDs are orders of magnitude slower, both in transfer speed and response time.

Because if your renderer has to page stuff, it *should* be so terribly slow that you wouldn't want to render anymore. HDDs are orders of magnitude slower, both in transfer speed and response time.

Loading, general usage, rendering issues. I was using an old AMD 533 MHz processor with 128 MB of RAM until a little over 3 years ago (my newer computer had died and it took me a while to be able to afford a new one.) The thing was continental drift slow anyway, so I really don't know of the paging file slowed anything down. However, since I didn't have enough RAM to do much of anything, it at least helped some. I got less "out of memory" messages with a larger paging file. ;)

Some of my 3ds max scenes take upward of 1.5-2GB of RAM during rendering, like the shots for current TMP drydock tour, of course, most of the RAM usage comes from Prologic's drydock...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro