Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TMP Optical Effects for Warp Barrier Flash

Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
I think the effect looks gorgeous. Reason I'm posting this is because I'm trying to create a digital version of the flare... and I need some assistance... because after my TOS project, I want to have another go at the wormhole sequence in TMP, just for reference here is the old one:

As well as the wormhole itself, maybe give it a slight fast blur, so it's not so sharp... this particular take was done back in June of 2010... but I digress... so my question is: What flare elements would you suggest go into it? Most lens flare tools contain the same set of lens objects... their flexibility is another story...

Since TMP's flare seems to contain multiple effects, like when it's brightest you see all the spectrum spokes, as it fades away it goes more towards a flare with spikes... so I'll prolly have to create a separate effect for each aspect of the total flare, then composite them in After Effects to get them to blend nicely...

The flare used at the start of the acceleration to warp shouldn't be too hard, as it's coloring is a faded spectrum, and not very involved, the 3rd frame will be the hardest, or the most involved...

vlcsnap-2011-11-01-17h28m43s113.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-01-17h29m08s124.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-01-17h28m27s217.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-01-17h29m36s149.png
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro

• oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Did you try the Optical Flares? Or will that not work?
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    oldmangreg wrote: »
    Did you try the Optical Flares? Or will that not work?

Optical Flares may work, but I'd need to know which lens objects to use...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Optical Flares may work, but I'd need to know which lens objects to use...
    why? given the reference is screencaps from the film then you know just as much as anyone else

divn't be lazy now
    IRML wrote: »
    why? given the reference is screencaps from the film then you know just as much as anyone else

divn't be lazy now

Who said anything about being lazy, I'm not being lazy...

I'm asking the more optical effects type people, which lens objects would work best, be it a shimmer, a glint, etc. or just some nice layer effects on top of a somewhat standard flare...

Something tells me the Hoop lens object will do nicely, possibly, not sure how low you can lower the number for the number of streaks...

463d1bc47ee060b69b15177caf2922ad.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    I'm asking the more optical effects type people, which lens objects would work best, be it a shimmer, a glint, etc. or just some nice layer effects on top of a somewhat standard flare...
    ok but why? You know what these effects are yourself so why do you need to hear it from someone else? You've done half the work already by dissecting the effect, and I'd say 99% of the members here don't have optical flares, so do you see your questions are somewhat pointless?

you've already broken down the effect, all you have to do now is make a start on these elements yourself, don't waste time here - get stuck in! Then if you don't know how to do a certain element ask for some specific help by all means, but you'll never learn anything if you ask people to do it all for you

another thing - yet again you've disabled embedding on your videos, you've been told about this enough times before, either enable embedding or post a link, if you're not prepared to do this then just don't post it at all, I know it seems like I'm always having a rant but you make it so easy for me
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Chris, tbh, you are unlikely to be able to recreate the look of this sequence in Optical flares alone, because while it is a 'flare' and it was produced 'optically' it's not any kind of lens flare: it was produced by the process of slit-scan, developed by Douglas Trumbull, (google it, or indeed watch the several documentaries on the process, not that it will help that much doing it in AE) previously used in 2001. Your best bet is just many layers of animated compositions in AE, with a slight offset so the red green and blue star-bursts proceed one another. You can probably create and animate some of that in a pre-pass in max, which ever you feel more comfortable editing in. You hit the nail on the head when you said it was 'multiple effects' so just layer multiple effect compositions additively in AE till you get a similar look. It's likely to be time-taking if you want to be slavishly accurate, but that seems to be what you're doing, so good luck! :)
    ok but why? You know what these effects are yourself so why do you need to hear it from someone else? You've done half the work already by dissecting the effect, and I'd say 99% of the members here don't have optical flares, so do you see your questions are somewhat pointless?

I didn't say it had to be done in Optical Flares... I was looking for anyway someone had insight into how...
    you've already broken down the effect, all you have to do now is make a start on these elements yourself, don't waste time here - get stuck in! Then if you don't know how to do a certain element ask for some specific help by all means, but you'll never learn anything if you ask people to do it all for you

I broke the effect down, giving my thoughts on what elements I might be able to use... I wasn't asking everyone to do it all for me... I was asking what elements of a lens flare might be best, and I was gonna take it from there... since most lens flare tools from what I've seen contain pretty much the same or similar elements to compose a lens flare...
    another thing - yet again you've disabled embedding on your videos, you've been told about this enough times before, either enable embedding or post a link, if you're not prepared to do this then just don't post it at all, I know it seems like I'm always having a rant but you make it so easy for me

No, that video is from way back when I still set videos on that, and I'd forgotten, it wasn't a intentional choice... every video since the last time you told me has had it enabled if it was to be posted here, but this video is from the middle of last year... but I'll correct it now.
    tobian wrote: »
    Chris, tbh, you are unlikely to be able to recreate the look of this sequence in Optical flares alone, because while it is a 'flare' and it was produced 'optically' it's not any kind of lens flare: it was produced by the process of slit-scan, developed by Douglas Trumbull, (google it, or indeed watch the several documentaries on the process, not that it will help that much doing it in AE) previously used in 2001. Your best bet is just many layers of animated compositions in AE, with a slight offset so the red green and blue star-bursts proceed one another. You can probably create and animate some of that in a pre-pass in max, which ever you feel more comfortable editing in. You hit the nail on the head when you said it was 'multiple effects' so just layer multiple effect compositions additively in AE till you get a similar look. It's likely to be time-taking if you want to be slavishly accurate, but that seems to be what you're doing, so good luck! :)

Hmmm, thanks, I'll look into it.

Yea, I never figured it could all be done with one solution...

Someone I follow on YouTube, has done the effect, and it's almost perfect, might ask him for some insight, if he used custom comps for it, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • mylexmylex1015 Posts: 346Member
    I think this effect can be done in MAX without using AE ;)