Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUNSC Frigate

Rich-MRich-M0 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Hi everyone, I started this model ages ago and the last few weeks have been focused on texturing. I'm happy with the overall look but I've decided that I need to refine things for the closeups with some more panal lines and weathering.

frigatetexture2.jpg

frigatetextop1.jpg

dockingringtex1.jpg

bridgetex1.jpg

I'm also thinking about creating some simple interiors so you can actually see stuff through the windows as the white doesn't hold up once you get close.

Any critiques or comments are welcome, thanks!
91632.jpg
Post edited by Rich-M on
Tagged:

• Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    Bloody hell... that is a sweet mesh.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    ^ What he said!

Superb job in the mesh, I think the texture work is fine.
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    Nice. Is the docking collar subdivided or otherwise?
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome. Maybe a bit too "dusty" for a space vessel, but none the less - completely awesome...
  • Lord OvermindLord Overmind0 Posts: 5Member
    It would be "Dusty if it flew through stray gas clouds, planetary rings, or nebulae, but otherwise, it would not be so dusty.
    Gas clouds, means a few gas molecules per several hundreds cubic meters (or even less). Planetary rings, are built from quite solid ice shards (in case of Saturn at least), so, flying through them wouldn`t be a good idea. But anyway, what dos the real life have in common with Halo, after all? :lol:
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful.
    I never realised how gigantic these damned things were until yesterday playing Reach(In the level where you walk through one. I never realised that's what it was till yesterday... Doh!).
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Awesome. Maybe a bit too "dusty" for a space vessel, but none the less - completely awesome...

They do make planetfall. They can land and hover in atmo too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EinuxKwMjuw
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    Excellent model work. :)
    Freaking crazy. But at least, it juctifies the dust to some extent :D
  • Rich-MRich-M0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the comments everyone, I'd justify the weathering on the paint due it spending quite a lot of time in a planets atmosphere- it may be a bit much but it's an easy way to make it look more interesting and "real", suppose I could tone it down a bit in places though once it's in a proper environment.

To answer your question Lord Overmind, the docking ring is subdivided for renders, same with the engines and the escape pods, turrets and missile launchers.

Also, here's an old closeup of the engines:

enginecomp1.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    ^ Outstanding!
    The Level of detail here is uttely mouthwatering...

What are you using to build this?
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    really great job.
    as asked Dr Lee: what progs. are you using?
    Cheers, I'm using Maya 2012 and rendering using Mental Ray, all textures are made in Photoshop but I've baked out AO maps to mask out dirt.
  • n4orcern4orcer0 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, this is really awesome. Love the attention to details! Great work! :thumb:
  • Heaven sentHeaven sent0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi. Great work. Would you care uploading hi res orthos? I would love to see if I could try this baby as a physical model, maybe 1:1000 size so it stays at around 50cm long, as a hobby project. Thanks in advance!
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    oh freaking excellent!! and another Maya user!! even better!
    oh freaking excellent!! and another Maya user!! even better!

I take it there aren't many of us around here? :o

Another update. I've added some secondary and tertiary panelling to the surface to improve the look and scale- the red circle is outlining a human figure 1.8m tall. I've also got round to making actual windows with interiors (these need to be finished)

middle6.jpg
    wow.... Huge one.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    that docking hatch must be lik 30 feet tall if the humans that small
    colbmista wrote: »
    that docking hatch must be lik 30 feet tall if the humans that small

Your pretty much spot on there, its just over 8 meters, but it is correct given that the whole ship is over 500 meters long according to this page.
    I had a break from Frigate work today and started on a Cruiser -"The Pillar of Autumn".

autumncompare.jpg
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Geez. I always thought the Frigate was a lot smaller than the Halcyon class! It's looking great.
    And it's great to know that even the Autumn could have flown laps of High Charity!
    Here's a grading test completed today- I'm using Nuke for this so I can reuse the settings for differenT shots. The second image with my model replacing the official in-game needed a bit of cleanup on the background since they don't match perfectly.

frigatermcomp2.png
    impressive, really impressive :thumb:
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Are you trying to build the entire UNSC fleet? Looks great so far, the Marathon type was kinda hard to see in Halo 2 but you can probably rip the reference material straight out of Halo 2 Pc given the right tools :)

It'd be interesting to see your take on this one too: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/UNSC_The_Heart_of_Midlothian

And which Halcyon type are you building? The Reach version or the Halo 1 version cause when I initially started looking at modelling, there are significant shape changes between the two :)

EDIT: wrong ship type, lol
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    great job man :)
    Do you have also the light frigade In Amber Clad from Halo 2 in program?
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    I would imagine the revised anniversary Halo will probably use the same model as from Reach, so I'd go with that one, which is what I think you're doing.... stunning job sir, carry on!
    @ Nadesico: I'm only planning on building the Frigate and a Halcyon cruiser (Halo CE Anniversary style, there are a few changes near the bridge) though if I were to continue I'd want to have a go at the Spirit of Fire:

1000px-UNSC_Spirit_of_Fire_%28CFV-88%29.png
    @ I.g.(. I've released the Halo 2/3 style "In Amber Clad" Frigate model which formed the rough base for this model at The 3DStudio http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=602906

Finished the Frigate model a few months ago, adding all the wear and dirt textures took weeks!

[video=youtube_share;Xe83gbiP0BU]

Its now being put to good use by Rooster Teeth who are using it as the "Mother of Invention" model for the new season of Red vs Blue. Here it is in the first few seconds of Season 10 Episode 5:

[video]http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=5232[/video]

and a better look in Ep2

[video]http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=4991&v=more[/video]
    you made the ship in RvB?

Nice mate.... i thought that looked great in the clip