Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Terra Nova - Fall 2011

• homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I havent had time for any tv (except Dr Who) in months. Getting engaged can easily take up your free time from that
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    Congrats Homerpalooza.

While the current ep was better, it's proven to me that unless someone confesses to Shannon, he's never going to catch anyone. Meanwhile Taylor seems to have set about looking for the spy himself.....or maybe they realized it was to soon to point the finger at Maddie's boyfriend.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Taylor has been looking for the spy since before the Shannons arrived. There's no reason to believe he'd have stopped just because he tasked it to Jim Shannon. As for revealing the spy, you know they have to be overly dramatic on these shows and draw things like this out across several episodes. It looks like they might find him on the next episode, but they might not.

Now that I think of it, did they ever actually say that Jim was a detective in 2149? I don't remember if they went into specifics on that or not. It just says on his character page on Fox's website that he was a cop with the Chicago PD. Maybe he was a beat cop, that could explain his lack of detection skills. Lots of good cops never make detective because they don't have the skills for that sort of work.
    Fair point Evil genius. You might be right about him not being a detective as such.
    I'm guessing will find out it's Maddies boyfriend in the 2nd or 3rd last episode for the season. That still leaves enough time for them to have a dramatic build up to the season cliff hanger.
    I'm also guessing at this point that the leader of the Sixers is likely to end up helping them in some sort of "see she's not really badguy after all" character twist. We already know she's only doing this because she's being blackmailed.

Strangely for all my complaining about the show I do find I kind of like it. I am therefore assuming my complaining is coming from more of a "But this could be so much better, if they tried." kind of place.
    Yeah, I think we do tend to nitpick stuff we like more so than stuff we don't. If you didn't like it, I don't think you'd give a hoot, so you wouldn't be finding things wrong with it. You just wouldn't watch it.

I agree about Mira. I don't thing Mira would be doing what she's doing if it weren't for the people in 2149 having her daughter. I also wonder how long she's going to be their puppet. She doesn't seem like the sort who will play their game indefinitely, she's too strong and independent for that. But I could be wrong. It all depends on what the producers and writers do. ;)
    The spy isn't Reynolds (Maddy's boyfriend.) However, you do find out who it is in this week's episode.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Well I am now three weeks behind, but that is now only due to the fact that I am bring my wife up to speed with Castle.
    Ok so it seems I was wrong about Reynolds.....But I suspect there are some screwy plot points behind the real spies actions. (Yes I'm doing my best not to give spoilers.)
    Overall a better Ep this week. No one seemed to be being overly stupid for the sake of other people getting away. But I'm starting to notice a distinct similarity behind most characters actions. It seems almost everyone who is a bad-guy in this show is only a bad-guy, because they are being blackmailed by some other bad-guy, who is also being blackmailed etc.

It occurred to me today that is Taylor sent a message to the future t someone he felt he could trust on the outside. He could have Mira's kid pinched from the real bad-guys and sent through the portal to the past. He hand daughter over to Mira, she calls off the Sixers, or at least stops working for them. They hunt down Taylor's son and stop him having access to the tech to reverse the portal. Problem solved.
    Lucas isn't being blackmailed. However, he probably is the only "bad guy" who isn't. But, that does make sense. The people who sent back the Sixers are 85 million years into the future and (supposedly) in an alternate reality. They have no way of controlling the people that they send back, so they have to grab some leverage. It's, unfortunately, a proven way of coercing people to do what you want them to do. After all, Mira and Taylor pointed out their similarities. If the people who sent her back hadn't grabbed her daughter, it's possible that Mira would have said "f*** them" and sided with Taylor. With as smart and resourceful as she is, she could easily have become his second in command. However, with her daughter's life on the line, she has motivation to continue her campaign against Taylor.

You're right, Taylor might be able to get her daughter. It's hard to say. He can only send messages when the portal is open, so it would take him a long time to get her. That's assuming she's still alive, given how evil these people are. But, we'll see what the future episodes bring. I have a feeling Taylor might have to kill Lucas, though someone under his command might be able to spare him that, like Washington or Shannon. They're supposedly approaching the season finale. Hopefully, they're doing those half seasons and calling them seasons and this show will be back in the late Winter or Spring, (in the US, I know people on the other side of the world are in different seasons now) I really like it. :)
    Well I have now almost cought back up as I am now only one ep behind.
    I have to say that I am enjoying it.
    It's good that you're still enjoying it, I am as well. In fact, I think this past week's episode is one of the best so far. It goes more into the personal lives of the characters Mira and Taylor and (finally) reveals to us the identity of the spy in Terra Nova. I'm looking forward to the next episode, though it won't be on this coming week, it will be on the week after.
    I agree this current ep was a lot better than many of the others so far. But it's also worth mentioning this is still season 1 and most shows are a bit wobbly in season 1. They don't really find their stride until late season 2 or season 3.

Killing Lucas would solve a lot of the problems for the colony, but it would also mean they'd need another major plot to surface pretty fast or the shows more or less over.
    Of course I Lucas was taken out the people in the future could always send back random strike teams to attack Terra Nova if they wanted.
    Okay, I am now up todate.
    I have to agree the last episode has been one of the best.
    The one thing that bugging me in this show is that all the bad guys are being blackedmailed into in it.
    the only ture bad guy is Tylors son!

The show needs to get away from bad guys being blackedmailed into it.
  • ViperViper1678 Posts: 717Administrator
    Still watching as well. I've been enjoying it more and more the past few episodes. I really liked the story with Taylor and Mira. Personally, even though the reason for most of the villains is blackmail, at least they aren't bad for the sake of being bad for the exception of Taylor's son. Gives them a more compelling side.

How dumb is Shannon though? The bit with the blood, although funny, was dumb as hell. And Jesus, put some cameras inside that laboratory!! Several break-ins and still no camera to be seen. And it's not even the case of saying they don't have them, cause they do in the perimeter of the base.
    I still say Shannon had to have been a beat cop. He might have made desk sergeant someday, but I don't think he was ever going to make chief (or even lieutenant or captain.) Unless the legal system as we know it has all slipped by the year 2149, that's possible. With the world being as fracked up as it is, maybe they focus more on population control and trying to survive than on silly stuff like stopping crime. That's probably why we mostly see him walking a beat in Terra Nova, it's what he does best. ;)

Yeah, the blackmail bit is getting a bit old. But, it is better than being bad "just because we can." And we know why the people in 2149 are bad, they're motivated by greed and lust for power. Though, we can't be certain that all of the Sixers are being blackmailed. I'm sure some of them are just there because there's promise of a big payout when (or if) they get back to 2149.
    Well, the last episode, although great, highlighted the problems I have with the continuity of the show. I was complaining about the fact that they didn't have cameras anywhere to be seen. Now, since it's episode 11 and they have to wrap things up, they finally have a bunch of cameras in place to find the spy. And the interviews were really badly done as well. At least, Shannon finally grew some brains and arrived at some pretty good deductions, which while makes it finally valid for him to be the detective, is also completely out of character for him.

Anyway, just some minor rants...I still enjoyed the episode. And I'm glad they finally put Allison Miller to good use. Been a fan ever since she appeared on Boston Legal. Her character is definitely the best one so far. Her struggles and reasons to do what she did felt at least realistic.
  • EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    this last episode or so had one most excellent quotable quote...

"these sixers are 50 feet tall, gray and very, very hungry."
    Well, that was surprising. I didn't know it was going to be a 2 hour episode for the finale. My first reaction was that it was going to be a bore fest leading up to 20 minutes of action, but I was surprised to be wronged. Very nice storyline throughout. A couple of WTF moments, but nothing too serious. The person they killed though, was a huge surprise, specially since I really liked the character. Shame. Also, I liked that they wrapped up enough things to conclude the series in case it's not picked up for a second season, while leaving up a small cliffhanger that they can blow up into something else for a season 2.

All in all, the series was quite worth it IMO. The series had its ups and downs, but it all came together in the end. Anybody else watched it?
    Still to watch it, will be seeing it in the next few days.
    I recorded it but I haven't watched it yet. I can't believe they had their season finale already. What's up with that? What happened to at least getting a full season? It's not a mid-season replacement, they have time to do more.
    I think the plan was always to have a 12-13 episode season. Besides, a bunch of shows seem to be following that formula, and I personally prefer 12 episodes over 22 for some series. Sure, it's cool to have a bunch of episodes to watch. But some of Terra Nova's episodes were already a bit hard to watch with 12 episodes...imagine if we had 22 :o
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    It was just a mid-season break. I believe new episodes resume in January.
    Nope, this is it. It's even mentioned on the official website: http://www.fox.com/terranova/recaps/season-1/episode-11

Gotta wait and see if FOX will pick it up for a second season.
    I hate Fox. They finally have a show I actually like and they don't even run it for a full 22 (or more) episode season. Though, this might be to keep costs down, you know it has to be expensive to make.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    I have to agree with the old man up there. A lot of stuff in that episode was sure to happen, but the execution of the plot made it more than worth the time. Hope there will be a Blu-ray box set.
    I'm hoping for a DVD box set. I'd definitely like to buy this series and watch them all again without commercials and the lottery numbers on the screen (my local Fox station runs those at the top of the hour. :rolleyes:) Also, there were weather alerts and other not-so-fun stuff on the screen some weeks.
    Well you can't count on FOX, just look at their track record over the last 10 years. They either F**K shows over while airing them (Firefly) or cut them just as they are finding there feet (T:TSCC) or just plain cut them at the high of their popularity. (Futurama, Family Guy, Etc)

As for this being only a 12 episode season. I can understand why, it done to keep the cost down, they don't even film in the States which put the costs up. Getting the crew (even some locals) and actors down to Australia or is it New Zealand? They would have to pay for flights accommodation and everything else that would be involved.

It was for this reason why Joss WhedonA’s Watcher/ Ripper series never went into production. The cost of having a full 22 episode film here in the UK would have been too high. He did get into talks with the BBC to help with the production costs. But it all fell though so we never got to see the series.
    Latest reports are that there's a good chance the show will be renewed for a second season. But it won't be decided until after new year. So, wait and see now.
    I watch the season finale this morning. I gotta say, I really enjoyed it. It was a good, action packed 2 hours. I like where they left things; stuff was resolved but there were still plenty of things left open for a 2nd season. I hope they do get picked up for a 2nd, I really like this show. Plus, it will be interesting to see how they proceed following the events of the season finale.
    Though, I have to say, I predicted early on that they were going to destroy the fracture. Tactically, it was the only real choice to protect Terra Nova. It's a shame about Washington, I really liked her. Maybe the actress wanted off the show. I'll bet the other reason for axing her is so that Jim Shannon can become Taylor's #2. They've been leaning that way for a while now.

@Dean: You're right, we can't count on Fox to do anything right. :rolleyes:
    Well:
    Regarding Wash, I just thought it was really good writing. Yeah, it's a shame to see her go, but so far on the show, the stakes have been pretty low. Shannon got away with doing a bunch of wrongs in the future, his kid messed up a ton of times, and even Skye, although having good reasons to be the spy, still had nothing happen to her. Killing Wash made everything seem a bit more visceral IMO. Besides that, she never was a regular cast member. The only fixed cast are the Shannon family, Taylor and Skye.

BTW, the badlands thing was pretty cool. It's obviously a tie in with the bermuda triangle stories, but I thought it was a good use of real life legend to make the show a bit more close to home. They can make some really cool stuff if that's the direction they are taking for season 2.