Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Terra Nova - Fall 2011

homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
edited August 2012 in General Discussion #1
synopsis:
From executive producers Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, Brannon Braga, Rene Echevarria and Aaron Kaplan comes an epic family adventure 85 million years in the making.

TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in doubt, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past.

looks interesting, and with Steven Spielberg on board, its gotta have potential.
anyone else hear about this show?
Post edited by homerpalooza67 on

• FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    hadn't heard about it, seems like an "already done" plot.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I've been seeing commercials for it on Fox all summer (I watch So You Think You Can Dance.) I definitely plan to watch it, I think it looks like it could be good.
  • DarkoneDarkone177 Posts: 258Member
    It's ready to run however the actors were put of hyedous due to fact that the series was completed last April.
    In short it not going to be around long that's almost a given!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Darkone wrote: »
    It's ready to run however the actors were put of hyedous due to fact that the series was completed last April.
    In short it not going to be around long that's almost a given!

do you mean 'hiatus'? the cast and crew returned to australia to finish shooting season 1, and probably to start getting ready for season 2. considering the expense, AND the involvement of spielberg as a producer, if there is a successful season 1, there will definitely be a season 2
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    They have been showing commercials about it. It looks cool to me. I will be setting the DVR for recording it!
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    It's got thingy from Avatar in it.
    Look intresting, though I am not a fan of the concept of sending people back in time to start over. That's just asking for one major paradox.

As for the season, it most likely will be 12 epsiode just like falling skies, if success then it most likely get picked up for a full season.
    That seems to be the trend these days.
    "thingy from Avatar"??

Are you referring to Stephen Lang, who played Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar? (he's also been in various other movies and TV shows over the past 30 years)
    LOL yeah, I know but hes the only person I reckonise from the cast.
  • ViperViper1679 Posts: 717Administrator
    I watched it...First episode was fun. Different from what I expected. Will check the second episode out for sure though.
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    I tried to watch this today, only got 30 minutes into the first episode before i had to just say WTF and stop. let me get this straight, 100 years in the future, they create a "space and time" portal system, and instead of moving to a new planet, they go back in time 85 million years? that somehow they will "save" the Human race by going back in time?

then i see when they get there the atmosphere is pretty much what we have now, mild in temperatures, not the sweltering swamp of the time frame. I couldn't bear it after that, there was way to many WTF moments and I couldn't believe this was a Spielberg production.
    I recorded it but I haven't watched it yet. :shiner:
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I didn't think it was too bad, certainly watchable.

As for the 85 million years thing, I think the covnenient plot point was that it *only* goes to that one point in time :)
    Well, sure there are some points that were a bit crappy, but I didn't think it detracted from the actual challenge they are facing. And they have enough interesting conflicts for a first season. I did not like the twist at the end though...think they could've done something better with that. Still, since I hate giving up on shows just after the first episode, I'll keep watching and see what they do with it.
  • SphynxSphynx195 Posts: 461Member
    We don't get this till next Tuesday, but I must admit that when I first saw the premis, all I could think of was 2000AD's 'Flesh'.

Obviously, the underlying reason for the jump back in time simply could not be done nowadays without causing an uproar amongst the veggie community and save the planet community, but i'll reserve judgement till after I've seen it properly.

It does seem to me however, that even when something is 'new' is Hollywood nowadays, it still isn't.
  • CoolhandCoolhand283 Mountain LairPosts: 1,294Member
    Sphynx wrote: »
    all I could think of was 2000AD's 'Flesh'.

haha, yeah completely.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    "thingy from Avatar"??

Are you referring to Stephen Lang, who played Colonel Miles Quaritch in Avatar? (he's also been in various other movies and TV shows over the past 30 years)

He's a really nice guy but I dont think Id ever describe him as 'thingy'. Heh
    Watched it last night. It was not to bad, yeah there was some issue with the plot and the set up.
    But all in all not to bad.

But given that it FOX that is doing who wants to bet that it will be canciled before the thrid season starts.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    NanoGator wrote: »
    He's a really nice guy but I dont think Id ever describe him as 'thingy'. Heh
    At least he's moving up. It's still basically the same character, but he's not as boring as he was in "Planet of the Smurfs". ;)
  • PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    I just watched it. Wow you can really tell it was filmed over here. Kinda funny to think Australia looks like 85 million years ago. :P
    On the plus side as a pilot, it wasn't bad I thought. A few medical and physic plot holes, but overall not bad. I did find the whole speech by the head guy about a brave new world where we leave all our worse elements behind, kinda funny given he was wearing a gun at the time.
    The time rift thing reminded me of the Exiles books. In fact almost word for word. Although that didn't go back so far into time. Other aspects of the show reminded me of Outcasts a British show from earlier in the year.

I did kinda find it funny that they went with a time rift, so they could have a planet with Dino's running about, rather than a new planet, with beasts running about. It's basically the same plot, just with a slightly different dressing.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    I did kinda find it funny that they went with a time rift, so they could have a planet with Dino's running about, rather than a new planet, with beasts running about. It's basically the same plot, just with a slightly different dressing.

Dino's seem to me like it would be easier to sell than unknown beasts.
    I watched it, I liked it. I recorded tonight's episode, I'll watch it later. It's different, though similar. The whole "leave Earth because it's messed up in the future" bit has been done a lot, but going back in time is a slightly different twist. It's funny, though. They went back in time to "control the future." If that's the case, they went back a bit too far because whatever civilization they build will be wiped out by the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. Granted, it's still millions of years into their future, but it's coming. Also, there's always the Ice Age to look forward to. But I guess we're not supposed to worry about such things. Of course, if they build an advanced society in the past, they might be able to destroy that asteroid or leave Earth before it hits.

But, it was fun. I'll definitely keep watching to see where it goes.
    Falin wrote: »
    I tried to watch this today, only got 30 minutes into the first episode before i had to just say WTF and stop. let me get this straight, 100 years in the future, they create a "space and time" portal system, and instead of moving to a new planet, they go back in time 85 million years? that somehow they will "save" the Human race by going back in time?

then i see when they get there the atmosphere is pretty much what we have now, mild in temperatures, not the sweltering swamp of the time frame. I couldn't bear it after that, there was way to many WTF moments and I couldn't believe this was a Spielberg production.

They didn't create a space/time portal system, they discovered a fracture in the space/time continuum that points to 85 million years in the past in an alternate reality Earth. (conveniently, so that it doesn't mess up our history) As for the climate, it was definitely portrayed as jungle-ish.

As for the Spielberg part, really? I mean, the man is brilliant, but really? He's had his share of WTF productions in the past. Besides, it's humans living amongst dinosaurs, how could he keep his hands off? ;)
    I am a little amused that the main lead actor was in a show where he played a cop who had gone back in time and was......hay wait a minute!

Also given where the time hole opens out, wouldn't you build some sort of camp to protect that location? And maybe end make a road (defined trail) to where the main city is?
    I watched it, I liked it. I recorded tonight's episode, I'll watch it later. It's different, though similar. The whole "leave Earth because it's messed up in the future" bit has been done a lot, but going back in time is a slightly different twist. It's funny, though. They went back in time to "control the future." If that's the case, they went back a bit too far because whatever civilization they build will be wiped out by the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. Granted, it's still millions of years into their future, but it's coming. Also, there's always the Ice Age to look forward to. But I guess we're not supposed to worry about such things. Of course, if they build an advanced society in the past, they might be able to destroy that asteroid or leave Earth before it hits.

But, it was fun. I'll definitely keep watching to see where it goes.

Maybe they will build Atlantis, it never stated where they are, only the time. After all the Atlanis was surpost to be very advanced, then it sank into the sea/ Vanashied.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    I am a little amused that the main lead actor was in a show where he played a cop who had gone back in time and was......hay wait a minute!

Also given where the time hole opens out, wouldn't you build some sort of camp to protect that location? And maybe end make a road (defined trail) to where the main city is?

Yeah I agree with that. After building a colony for 7 years, you would have though that they would have built a "port" for the new commers.
    It was also stated in the pilot that no one can go back to the Future/ Percent. So how do they talk with those in 2141? that has not been covered yet it has been stated that it happens.
    I suspect the talking with the future, is a bit like the stargates being strictly one way......except for radio.... and video.....and heat.....and energy in general. errm um.

I also didn't notice much in the way of supplies being sent through the portal. Which might mean it happen at a different time of course. But those supplies would need to be hauled to the town as well. Clearly the place isn't developed enough to be completely self contained yet, so the bullets, computer hardware, and advance meds etc would still being supplies from 2141.
    Well, yesterday's episode didn't really move the main story forward, but I still liked it. Some characters are starting to get a bit more rounded as well...in the first episode the oldest son was kind of a prick...a bit better now. Will keep watching :)
    Yeah, I hated the son for the first hour an a half of the first episode, but he came around some towards the end. I'm hoping that means he'll be better as the series progresses.

I also was wondering why the portal site wasn't as built up and protected as the colony. However, there is a chance that it moves. Stephen Lang's character said that the guys who were right behind him in line didn't come through for over 100 days after he did, so we know it could be unstable. Nobody mentioned if the thing always appears in the same place or not. (maybe that's coming later) They apparently get a heads-up when people and things are about to come through, but they might have to find the exact spot when it happens. As for stuff being sent through, (supplies and whatnot) they would have needed stuff from the future at first, but they would have to be producing their own stuff after a while. That colony had been in place for 7 years, that's enough time to start manufacturing things they need. We know that they have a quarry, though the Sixers apparently control that. That's what happens when you send basketball teams back in time. :shiner: (for those who don't know, the Philadelphia 76ers are nicknamed the Sixers)
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    i liked it. it has a few wtf moments.
    i cant understand why they are bringing hi tech stuff that are likely to break. like the medical bay with holograms and all.

and, welcome to the dharma fundation. namaste.
    that's EXACTLY the lost island.
    some ancient and mysterious civilisation, giant deadly monster, the others, time travel,...
    how many episodes before they find the hatch to a mysterious hi tech alien bunker ?
    Yeah, I'm wondering when the aliens are coming also. :lol: I'm also wondering when they're inevitably going to be cut off from the future and have to fend for themselves.

It's definitely a recycled plot, but it's not necessarily a bad one. They bring high tech gear but they also bring people who can fix it. Though, you have to wonder what kind of resources (metals and other materials) are available 85,000,000 years in the past. We know they can't have oil yet, but they use solar power, but the ores and whatnot available then would also be different.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    The pilot aired just yesterday here, it looks solid and very promising to me. I just hope that they can provide a good explanation for the "control the past, control the future" part and not just mess around with the audience.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    I watched the 2nd episode a little while ago. Like Viper said, it doesn't move the big plot a bit, but it was a good episode. It's one of those episodes where they have a problem, they mull it around a bit, and they fix it in 45 minutes. I actually like that in shows, as opposed to one long drawn-out plot. I hope they do more of that but also continue with the big plot, maybe in bits here and there. Anywho, I'm liking it so far. :)