Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DWings of Saint Nazaire (Game Art) Large Images!

• Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    AAAH! Yes, the flasshing red lights are the ship being fired out of a red-lit tube into open space. :D That's why the lighting changes at the end, it's the open in-game sunlight hitting the cockpit.
    The lighting goes from top-lit hangar lights, a short darkness are it enters the launch tunnel, the tunnel lights flashing by, and then gameplay lighting. :D
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Ah, that makes sense :D Then I would say it's looking pretty damn cool :)
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    Ooooh, firing out of a launch tube, never seen that before... :rolleyes:

:lol: Actually, that's totally sweet. I'm sure with the background it would look totally awesome. I was wondering what you meant to be doing with the red, sounds like it should well pretty well. Considering I saw a a few shots "in atmo", as it were, are you thinking of adding some of this into it?
  • broadwingbroadwing0 Posts: 0Member
    is there anywhere else we can gauge the project of the game? Perhaps a website?

Also, howard, depending on your intentions regarding pioneer, Might you consider releasing the models should you can the project? I'm sure the hunchback might be appreciated by other projects...
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    broadwing wrote: »
    Also, howard, depending on your intentions regarding pioneer, Might you consider releasing the models should you can the project? I'm sure the hunchback might be appreciated by other projects...

Why can't people just build their own models around here?? Sheesh... :rolleyes:
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    whatever happened to pioneer, is it officially dead?
  • broadwingbroadwing0 Posts: 0Member
    because some people don't like promising things gone to waste.
    Viper: Thanks, man
    Armondikov: Har-dee-Har-har. Yes, this is not the most original setup, I am well aware. just trying to crib the best bits from all the different shows/games/movies, :D
    broadwing: Unfortunately, no. We're still very much working on this as a compartmentalized side project. Once we're closer to having the demo done, I'll start making a webpage for the game, maybe some forums as well. As for Pioneer...Yes, I'm reaching the point where I might consider releasing some of the models to interested parties. There's a ****ton of them, though, so I'd need to know which ones people wanted to see, first. Now's your time to ask. :D
    japetus: Why do hard work twice? :P
    Knight...yeah, afraid so. I can't promise it will never return, but it seems unlikely. A damn shame too - So much art useless. :(

So slight update, more in the works... I spent some time upgrading the texturing on some of the human ships... after looking at more star wars, I felt they could be grimier.
    textureupgrade20.png
    textureupgrade24.png
    textureupgrade26.png
    textureupgrade27.png
    I'm working on two more cockpits, and finalizing the animations and displays of the first. :D
    EDIT: And here's that:
    CockpitClose5.gif

Enjoy!
  • Boy GeniusBoy Genius0 Posts: 0Member
    Great textures, love the ships...

It's getting better and better

:thumb:
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Interesting fighter! It's got the Colonial viper/Homeworld look going on, I like it :)
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    i like the Awing styled one
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    WOAH!
  • MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    Woah, cool shippies! And I love the little cockpit animation. :D
  • Prime_8Prime_80 Posts: 0Member
    love that canopy / display anim ..

and the quick flash of reflection when it comes down .
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Fantastic!!!!
  • BradMickBradMick331 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome! Looks great man. I liked the cleaner look to be honest, it gave the beat up look of the player ship more impact. Like humanity had been relaxin' in a 'golden age' right prior to the aliens showin' up, which is why humanity got the crap kicked out of it. But, either way still look awesome.

And as for Pioneer? As far as i'm concerned, it's dead. I still have all the dev files and design docs somewhere on a hard drive, but that's about it. Kind of sad. Was really hoping it'd come back to life, but...with no programmer the odds of that are nil.

Brad
    Boy Genius: Thanks, man! The only problem with the textures getting better and better is that I now need to go back and make sure all the previous artwork matches. :D
    japetus: Thanks! I was actually going for a X-wing / Raptor (from Wing Commander) mix... just like for the Boomslang was a Snowspeeder / Arrow mix. :D
    colbmista: Thanks! It's one of my favorites, too. That was originally designed by Brad Mick waaaaay back in the day... 2006, I think?
    Road Warrior: Keanu?
    Meph: Thanks! That's what you'll see before your ship launches out on a mission. :D
    Prime_8: Heh, I love that subtle reflection too. I'm just glad someone besides me saw it. :D Thanks man!
    stonky: Thanks dude!
    BradMick: Well, I need to go back and re-vamp some of the textures for the interior scenes, to make them match what I've got going on here....and yeah, It's dead.

So - spent some time this holiday time off putting together the next cockpit! This one is for the turret on the back of the Bushmaster... You can see the external shot of the turret in the big hangar image I posted earlier... http://www.hedfiles.net/deadsilent/hangar.png
    It's located right above the glowing loading ramp at the middle of the image...

Turret02.png

I still have more details and shapes to add, to fill out the cockpit, but it's pretty close, and I thought I should share.
    Enjoy, and all thoughts and comments are welcome!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Awesome! The turret looks great and the big picture is fantastic.

Keanu? Why not? I was told(once upon a time) that I looked like the man. My co-workers had me a funny little hat made with NEO embroidered on the back. :) Crazy guys!
    UPPPDATE!
    Edit: UPPPPDATE #2!
    Turret06.pngTurret06.png
    Thoughts? I think this one is pretty much done. Also, these forums really badly squish these cockpit pictures - so if you want to see it in all its un-blurry goodness, save the file and look at it, or Right-Click> View Image. I promise it makes a difference.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    brilliant work
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    IRML wrote: »
    brilliant work

+1

:)
    Thanks guys - I'd really love some critique of any of the work - anything at all that sticks out, doesn't feel natural, or looks... well, bad, really. In the mean time, here's the next thing I've moved onto (after doing some texture upgrades to the Borneos Hangar and the transport interior).. the launch bay sequence! This needs to be a series of 1024x512 textures that will be mapped on planes, ant then flown through to semi-simulate getting fired into open space. I'm working on the sheer base right now - everything past the blast door opening will be another series of images.
    [IMG]http://www,hedfiles.net/Launchbase.png[/IMG]Launchbase.png
    I still need to build the telescoping blast doors, refine the launch toob itself, and make the end piece, with the forcefield and external launch rails. There should be, all told, 4 sets of images.
    Thoughts?
    Update!
    Launchbase2.png
    Gotta do the other side of the blast doors...
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator0 Posts: 0Member
    reminds me a bit of the interactive background in "Freespace" that was animated and used for "menues" inbetween missions.

Sometimes i think the CEO of Avatar Creations should hire you as 3D artist for Perpetuum... (are you expensive?)
    Heh, thanks, Annihilator! I definitely had Freespace, Xwing, and Tie Fighter all in mind when I put together the art - The primary influence is Wing Commander, though.

So here's a series of image tests for the launch...Only 3 sets of images used here - the main bay is a static image, the doors animation is a series of 130 images (the last 10 loop) and the Actual tube is just a loop of 10 images. In motion it is surprisingly convincing! I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I still have to do the end cap so the tunnel ends well.
    launchtest00.png
    launchtest01.png
    launchtest02.png
    launchtest03.png
    launchtest04.png
    launchtest05.png

Thoughts? Once I get the end piece done I will put it all together into an animation for you guys.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    That looks brilliant, Howard. I wish I had something to suggest, but there's just nothing I can think of that you haven't nailed already. :)

Really looking forward to seeing this fully animated with the cockpit power-up sequence, etc. :cool:
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Turned out great!

Are the fighters supposed to launch completely under their own power or are they assisted by some kind of steam/magnetic catapult?
    Comco: Thanks! Me either, frankly - I've just got the end piece to do, and then I can render it out with everything. So excited. All the tests I've done so far look awesome.
    lennier1: Magnetic catapult - those are the big circular coils placed 2 to a side down the launch rail...Here's a clearer shot of the images I used to make this...
    Launchbase3.png
    Launchdoors0110.png
    Launchtube0001.png

And the current state of the end piece:
    Launchend.png

Still tweaking and detailing to do.... Thoughts?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Maybe it's the German in me, but I just love that level of efficiency.
    No problem, lennier!
    In other news, I have extremely poor impulse control.
    launchmockup.png
    BOO-YAH!