Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationWIP- BSG encounters The Empire w/ Pilots

Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Have began a fan film short ( crossover). Will be CGI. Is like my 5th short in as many months.

Still am new to 3d/CG and using Cinema4d. Will be a lengthy first post as got lots of images to share.

I am using Sean Kennedy's ( Treybor ) Viper MKII model.

have not done any enhancement or post on any images- all C4d shots.

Orig. Download look

Thumborigmesh-model.png

Thumborigmesh-model2.png

Am still working on this model though am not making any big-noticeable material-texture changes cause I already rendered out some flick. But spent a good deal on fixing the bad- very noticeable things.

A couple early shots

Thumbnail1.png

Thumbnail2.png

Redoing of Cockpit-animated textures

Thumbnail3testr0249.png

Lasers-Thrust-Flash

Spent a whole day trying to get what I was after-- Exhaust streaks
( animate-able) and tweaking the (muzzle) Flash
of lasers.

Helluva time trying to get it all to work together and independently, finally realized I had to Group ( Think particles settings) all the geometry-emitters-Pass-Pstorm all of it in Expresso. ended up with 5 groupings.

Here is couple of looks on the exhausts and flash.

Thumbnail6Thrustrs0036.png

Thumbnail5.png

Am still debating to have flash show or not show on the Viper.. will have to make a preview
while firing to see how it looks.

Will keep adding updates of changes- still got the Tie Fighter- BG's if any etc.

Regards,
89817.png
Post edited by Randal R on

• Randal RRandal R0 Posts: 0Member
    Update #3

Here is a short clip - Demo increased thrust and spurt n turn.

Viper-MKII-gif.gif
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Looks nice, but there are some areas on the Viper that appear to have unsmoothed faces and some bad uvw unwrapping. I would also turn shadows for your lights.
    japetus wrote: »
    Looks nice, but there are some areas on the Viper that appear to have unsmoothed faces and some bad uvw unwrapping. I would also turn shadows for your lights.

I mostly agree.

tbh the material selection ( mapping) is a mess. had a heck of a time. I do not think it was UV mapped but assigned poly selection.
    and trying to reassign the selection has been difficult- mesh has a strange warpiness into it.
    Am not the modeler ( been waiting to buy some training to learn modeling before actually building things)

I should have maybe tried to completely re do- but am very green in UV map ( bodypaint). I do rush things somewhat.
    since I got a 8-9 yr old Dell Pent.4- Nvidia GE force 6200- So I work on it while rendering clips ( try to)

Am unsure what you mean by "turn shadows" < do you mean turn shadow maps on ( soft or raytraced)? Global Illumination?
    am unsure what this would produce or accomplish? most of the lights are/have exclusions.

Thanks for your input.

Also, got the Particle system for the Tie Fighter .

Tie Fighter SE model by James Basset

I tried several things on the Lasers from pointers on how to, but came up with my own in C4d. ( none of them looked quite right)
    will require grouping Think Particles for each ship. NOTE: is no dynamics/collision on TP system- have not enough knowledge-exp with doing collision/dynamics yet. Let alone in a particle system :D

ThunbnailTie2_0015.png

Any tips suggestions is appreciated
    Test Demo- opening scenes BSG encounters The EMPIRE

testing out color correction settings. is not a final but a sneak peak.

Still are parts of Viper that are standout noticeable- as in seem to be untextured polys. but have tried to min off specular and change some but are unaffected by adding material to the polys or selection or adding selection tags to polys and assigning new materials. Some also were rendered before fixing. so live with it.

another- obviously I got the Vipers switched- Capt and Lt. from first scenes.
    goof.

went ahead and uploaded it- Temporary.
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    In regards to the shadows I mean that it doesn't look like you have a light source coming from any sort of direction in your renders. It would lend more realism to your scene. I would try to not use include/exclude lists but instead work with the falloff of the lights (inverse squared falloff is the most correct). I can also tell that you don't have shadows turned on because you have yelllow light leaking out of your engines from the laser blast in front of the wing. I use 3ds Max and I dont know C4D, but it should have all these settings.
    yeah I noticed that too and dint know why....

Well thanks for that. I made a light rig set up for each model. not a 3 point light setup- ( 4 area lights for like a diffused coverage.)
    did not think to check shadow maps... along with Depth of Field---Doh. so much to cover....

every time I do a sun light or a single looking light source it does not seem to sit right to me.maybe some back lighting missing :D....?

will try and make adjustments with the lighting,,,

Thanks again. Appreciate the input.

No new material at this time. But am thinking of expanding this to include more Star Wars Craft and possibly Capital ships and throw in some cylon action too LOL. But, as you may well know, takes time & patience and more.

BSG vs Empire vs Cylons vs Federation vs Babylon 5 vs Aliens ...........on n on J-K :D
    SHOTS FIRED- SHOTS FIRED They Drew first Blood

Update- some more SS's of WIP

This I used a stormtrooper model by Karl Stocker.

Tie1_0018.png

it was static. I rigged it to the best I can to be able to sit him down in Tie cockpit. Though it is not good enuff for animating and unable to twist bones.
    It also had a mesh under meshes and so had to connect and normally completely re texture with poly selection,so I opted for mostly black- but man there were SO freeking many Poly's it would take a week to poly select the mesh.( am not well enough learned to correct-yet)

Also debated adding some animated textures for the cockpit. but did not.

A look at the opening shots ( First Blood) from the Tie Fighters.

Shooting2_0045.png

shotsfired0042.png
    Update:

Scene Clip of Viper-Tie engagement, ( not the marrying kind :rotf:)

Explosion-split.gif
    OKAY ! Episodes I and II are done and III a sneek peek << is turning out pretty good with using a new Comp ( Pi7 2300 )
    I can tinker and test and learn and use GI no more guessing and in the dark.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 The BAttle