Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAdventures in Sketchup...

StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
edited August 2017 in Work in Progress #1
Yes, you read it right.
I begun to play with Sketchup yesterday, 05:00 PM just to see what I can do with that pgm and, at 08:00 PM I got this. :D
Just a plain render and border cuts in the old Paintbrush. Kirkythea isnA’t instaled yet. For an exercise just to see where I can go with sketchup, in 03 hours, it turned out very well I believe. Opinions?
89715.JPG
89716.JPG
89717.JPG
89718.JPG
Post edited by Starship on

• EgeriaEgeria61 Posts: 0Member
    Nice start...

We would suggest smoothing and softening the lines on the curved surfaces... that would make it look even nicer... selecting eraser and holding in ctrl will allow you to do that to the lines rather than erase them... just dont remove the ones at edges between textures, since then you'll have trouble if you repaint it...
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    You couldn't resist it eh? ;)

What you first need to do is download a lot of plugins. For example the Weld plugin, which lets you connect selected edges into a single line. That's one action -weld, say, three lines to eachother- versus twentythousandwhatnot actions: softening every line you don't want to be there. Check out my small tutorial in my sig, it'll help you out a lot :)
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice Job, I was playing with Sketchup on my last tour of Afghan, an engineer was using it to produce images of enemy positions he was re drawing from satellite phots for briefings... for the life of us making a simple sphere was a nightmare. It was an old version though and we had no internet access to help us out. That said, this ship looks like a really good start, I look forward to your progress.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    BorgMan wrote: »
    You couldn't resist it eh? ;)

What you first need to do is download a lot of plugins. For example the Weld plugin, which lets you connect selected edges into a single line. That's one action -weld, say, three lines to eachother- versus twentythousandwhatnot actions: softening every line you don't want to be there. Check out my small tutorial in my sig, it'll help you out a lot :)

Hi Bro! How you doing?
    Yes, I had to try. :)
    I downloaded a few plugins, but still not experienced any of them. Therefore, didnA’t known about the weld plugin. IA’ll take a look in that tut too, for sure! Thanks!

Egeria hotkeys are always a good option. IA’ll try the smoothed look later. Thanks! :)

MarkD when in home, try to play with sketchup. When you understand the workflow, youA’ll see how simple the program is. About the sphere, you can use a plugin (simplest way) or do it by other way, not so hard in fact: draw two circles alligned by the center, one over the vertical and other over the horizontal plane. They donA’t need to be the same size. Then, using the follow me tool, click in the face of the first circle and release the buttom, but move the mouse around the edge of the other circle. IA’ll see the edge of the second circle turnning red and a sphere coming to life. ;)
    Uau!!! My last post in this thread was... 6 years ago!! :o

Well, IA’m trying to come back. I learnt a lot this year, when my interest in 3d got a revival. :D

To understand how to copy, move and align a object to a surface in Sketchup was a difficult mission, and it took me a lot of time to do it the right way. But IA’m pretty sattisfed in the end, cause I drew just one escape pod and the rest of them were a "copy, move, align" job made in a fast way. :) I present you the USS Theodore.

theo_17_08.jpg
    theo2_17-08.jpg
    theo3_17-08.jpg
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Welcome back! I saw a couple of images of this ship on your blog, it looks great! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    You know I love it. :D It's great to see you back around these parts. :)
    evil_genius_180 and Rekkert, thanks!
    ItA’s good to see old friends like you too. :thumb: