Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-D USS Enterprise

• ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    Yes, they did.
    But that shot (underside of the saucer) is different from the original ILM-film elements - the life-boats have details they don't have in the original an there are difference in the windows on the neck and other details.
    It's a CG-shot now.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    trekker670 wrote: »
    Interesting, a new shot from TNG-R released at TrekCore today shows a CG replacement of the E-D separating from EoF.

I think I know why they had to replace that one shot - if you look at the DVD there is a very strange distortion to the saucer section element in that shot. Must have been a fault present in the source material if they had to replace the shot. But I think the replacement shots for the most part are very convincing.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Guys, dont discuss this in this thread, discuss it in the TNG blu ray thread. This thread is for tobias' work specifically... BEsides, this exact issue is being discussed on the latest page of that thread anyway.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • wisehennwisehenn171 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing model! The animated fly by looks as good if not better then any others I have seen. Now lets see her ermergency saucer seperation.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    You know, I was looking at the orthos you posted a while back, and I was wondering... forgive me if you already answered this before and I missed it, but did you build this model to separate the saucer as well? If so, I was wondering if we could possibly see some orthos in separated mode, so we can see the detailing you did in those areas?
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter333 Posts: 0Member
    Well, the model itself can be seperated, but the sections on the inside have not been fully modelled yet. I will do that once in case I need it - but for now, I havenA’t.
  • TallguyTallguy350 Posts: 467Member
    So all the separation footage from Farpoint was available. :)
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Well, the model itself can be seperated, but the sections on the inside have not been fully modelled yet. I will do that once in case I need it - but for now, I havenA’t.

Ah, okay, cool. I look forward to that when the time comes. :D
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Your mesh is incredible, and that flypast is just stunning. Superb work, Tobias.
    Tallguy wrote: »
    So all the separation footage from Farpoint was available. :)

I think they re-did at least one scene.
  • Polaris 004Polaris 004199 Posts: 752Member
    Was there any part of this mesh that was particularly difficult to do? Was there something that gave you trouble, or did it turn out to be more or less routine for your ability?
    The most tricky part are always the rounded shapes like the secondary hull, especially the neck. To get those as close as possible to the real model is indeed difficult, especially since there are two different real models and no correct blueprints. And even with those, it is hard to figure out the flow of the lines the farther away you get from the outlines. So yes, it was a challenging model.
  • TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    Great read and your Enterprise looks amazing, Tobias. I look forward to seeing it in the set!
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Good to see you getting some recognition for your great work Tobias.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    well deserved!
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you - unfortunately, I wonA’t be releasing this model to the public. I plan to use it in a project - and some other stuff that IA’ll let you know when I can talk about it.

Right now, IA’ve started the conversion of my TMP Enterprise to the Reliant. IA’ll open a Wip thread about that soon.

Tobias, Congrats on the TNG deal, you probably are a bit tired of hearing that! Are you going to make the TMP Enterprise available in 3dsmax? Would you if I paid for it? For my private use only...Hope to hear from you soon...

Chris
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    The only full season of anything I've ever bought was Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. I wasn't disappointed. I believe The Next Generation will be my second just to see the magnificent work Tobias has done.
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    Attachment not found.
    A comparison I made from TrekCore of the original shot, the shot when it was re-used in Generations, and the new shot using Tobias' model. Is it bad that I kind of wish they had redone all the effects with the CG model?
    96598.jpg
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Nicely found. Tobias, Mike (or Denise, can't remember which) mentioned that the VFX team for TNG-R made some modifications to your model. Any idea what they changed?
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    I've long been amazed and inspired by your work, Tobias. Good to see your success expanding to new areas!
    I donA’t know exactly, but from what I see they toned down the texture of the escape pods and adjusted the color of the Bussard collector.

Oh, and they also added the neck interior for the saucer seperation shot.

There could be some more minor changes, but I think thatA’s about it.
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    That truly is stunning work.

One thing I have noticed were the four square shaped parts of the hull (you also made them windows) in front of the Captain's Yacht on the underside of the saucer section. Those are actually not windows, but based on the technical manual they are the navigational deflector of the saucer section which would only be in use (and lit) in separated flight mode; much like the saucer section's impulse engines. They didn't always get this quite right in the shows either, though. And yes, I know, I'm too detail obsessed for my own good at times!

Either way it's a mindblowingly detailed and beautiful model. Really nice work!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    overseerfx wrote: »
    One thing I have noticed were the four square shaped parts of the hull (you also made them windows) in front of the Captain's Yacht on the underside of the saucer section. Those are actually not windows, but based on the technical manual they are the navigational deflector of the saucer section which would only be in use (and lit) in separated flight mode; much like the saucer section's impulse engines. They didn't always get this quite right in the shows either, though.
    Depends on the angle. They later retconned them into a deflector array, but Andrew Probert initially envisioned this area as a stargazing room (which is why it was not supposed to be lit as brightly as the other rooms).
  • overseerfxoverseerfx0 Posts: 0Member
    lennier1 wrote: »
    Depends on the angle. They later retconned them into a deflector array, but Andrew Probert initially envisioned this area as a stargazing room (which is why it was not supposed to be lit as brightly as the other rooms).

Well, this is certainly true. I know there were a lot of design changes, I guess also partly because they were unable to actually shoot all those areas. Plus, I guess, with Ten Forward being introduced, such a room would almost (almost!) be obsolete.

I'm just one of those guys who (because they can) run a Win98 virtual machine, just so they can have access to software gems like the Interactive Technical Manual which provides us with this:

itm_enterprise-d_saucer-deflector.jpg

I'd just go with the officially established facts and the ITM, as well as the printed version, go with the deflector theory. While it's sad that certain areas were never realized, a nav deflector for the saucer module certainly makes sense! ;)
    97962.jpg
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I never believed in this either, for me if they looked like windows in the show then they should look like windows on the model, simple as that
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    They were probably always supposed to be windows until some fans were asking where the deflector was for when the saucer section was separated. So, they went, "Uh, here." ;)
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    They were probably always supposed to be windows until some fans were asking where the deflector was for when the saucer section was separated. So, they went, "Uh, here." ;)
    This.

It's sad really, particularly because it can't go to warp so it doesn't need to have one. Even ships that do go to warp don't particularly need them, it just make deflecting asteroids and particles easier while at warp.

By the way, Tobias is probably facepalming seeing how we turned a necropost into a discussion in one of his treads.:)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    I would think deflectors would be needed even at sub-light speed. I wouldn't want to run into even a small rock going 185,000 miles per second (speed of light is 186,000 miles per second). It's going to do some damage for sure.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    I would think deflectors would be needed even at sub-light speed. I wouldn't want to run into even a small rock going 185,000 miles per second (speed of light is 186,000 miles per second). It's going to do some damage for sure.

True, but remember that:
    1: Full impulse is only a quarter of the speed of light, which is still very fast of course.:p But you can't go faster without using M/AM, as you would need an amazing ammount of power output to move the ship.
    2: Other elements of the ship can do the same function without needing so much power. Of course, they aren't dedicated, so they aren't as good as a deflector, but they still do the job. As said in Ex-Astris-Scientia:
    The navigational deflector is an essential component of every Federation starship, as it is necessary to prevent interstellar particles from hitting the hull (as explained in the TNGTM and stated by Malcolm Reed in ENT: "Broken Bow"). But why are there certain ship classes, like the Miranda or the Constellation, without a deflector dish? A possible explanation lies in the TNGTM where the deflection system is described as consisting of two components: a low-power field to sweep small particles and a focused beam to deflect larger objects such as asteroids. It may be useful to integrate these components into a dish, together with the long-range sensors, but it is not necessary. I could imagine that an almost unnoticeable forcefield generator may be used to keep small particles away, while a phaser-like emitter or even the phasers themselves may take care of asteroids. So the Miranda and Constellation do have deflectors, we only don't know what they look like exactly and where they are located. It is the same on almost all alien ships, where a deflector can't be identified either.

In Star Trek: The Magazine (January 2003), Rick Sternbach suggests that the deflector grid, Bussard collector fields, tractor emitter and asymmetrical warp fields are working together to protect the hull on the Constellation. Whilst this sounds very complex compared to a dedicated deflector system, it is plausible if we look at the possible roles of the single systems. We may assume that the shields and warp field disperse small particles, while the Bussard collector can cut through this field combination to collect stray hydrogen. The tractor beam would be used to deflect larger objects.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio