Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dwormhole station

3d2473d2470 Posts: 0Member
edited November 2012 in Work in Progress #1
Been working on this one for a little while and thought I'd post where I'm at.
Basically this is a wormhole generator / gateway with a space station wrapped around it.
I don't have a lot of time to devote to this so updates will be slow.

The 1701e model is for scale only, this is not a trek universe design.
('1701e Author:
Chris Setterington from Moon Creative Design
Conversions:
('3DS Conversion by Erik Timmermans. Extra detail and texture maps added by Mark Kingsnorth. Lightwave conversion with Mark's textures by Rob Caves.
88846.jpg
88847.jpg
88848.jpg
Post edited by 3d247 on
Tagged:

• PagrinPagrin171 Posts: 0Member
    That's a big station. The obvious question is, Gateway to where? And I'm assuming ships fly into it?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Wow ship a big station.

As it stand at the moment, it could be a section of a Babalon station.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Reminds me of the Balcora Gate from Homeworld 2. Looks cool.
  • ZionZion0 Posts: 0Member
    Its like you read my mind, I saw the title, "wormhole station", I immediately thought of 3 concentric circles with each one smaller than the previous. Good job, keep it up.
  • 3d2473d2470 Posts: 0Member
    Had a rough and amazing year after the first post. Now that the dust has settled I can turn at least a little time on this again.
    Okay, going to finish this. No, really.
    93418.jpeg
    Zion wrote: »
    Its like you read my mind, I saw the title, "wormhole station", I immediately thought of 3 concentric circles with each one smaller than the previous. Good job, keep it up.

Collective conscious?
    For some reason seemed to make sense that this would need some type of 'counter rotating' warp field device to create the wormhole, and quantum entanglement to connect the entry and exit points (bla bla bla). Wrapping a habitation ring as a trading hub around all of it may or may not be a good idea for something like this, but I thought it would look cool visually.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Balcora Gate from Homeworld 2. Looks cool.

Thank you! :)
    Freak wrote: »
    Wow ship a big station.

When I took a first look at designing the interior of the habitation ring, I went to google earth to get a sense of scale and found that Manhattan would fit comfortably inside. That's when I had nightmare visions of poly counts run screaming through my head. Going to have to cheat like crazy to pull it off - good thing I don't have a deadline on this.
    Pagrin wrote: »
    That's a big station. The obvious question is, Gateway to where? And I'm assuming ships fly into it?

ATM I'm thinking to other stations - four per galaxy? Ships would fly 'through' the center ring...
    Wow ship a big station.

Oh, yeah, I guess it would be bigger, Babylon 5 is 8km (?).

Was really just adjusting the scale so that starships of Enterprise E scale (and up, not that this is a trek universe structure, because it isn't) could be comfortably dry docked there, and still have room for the support infrastructure required for the WH generator and habitation / trading center.
    B5 is five miles long.
    B5 is five miles long.

That's kinda close to 8km, but that's metrics for ya. I use metrics in Lightwave, just because it's easier for me.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    3d247 wrote: »
    That's kinda close to 8km, but that's metrics for ya. I use metrics in Lightwave, just because it's easier for me.

Hmmm. Is that a sunburn on Freak's face? :p
    no just well tand! ;)
    Small update. Added more detail to the inner ring connectors, so maybe not that big of an update, but I liked the perspective shot so I thought I'd post it.

Working more on the outer ring more tomorrow (later today), if time permits. More update shots maybe Thursday night.

Peace.
    93612.jpg
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Nice wormhole-station. Looking forward to seeing more of this one. PS. Love the 'little' Enterprise-E for scale.
    Looks great!
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Are you writing a fanfic based on this? I like it. I've been working on a fanfic called Star Trek Gatekeepers. It's why I ask. Nice job.
    Lonewriter wrote: »
    Are you writing a fanfic based on this? I like it. I've been working on a fanfic called Star Trek Gatekeepers. It's why I ask. Nice job.

God no. I barely have the time at this point, to devote to building this station. I generaly have an idea in my head of the anthropological universe where something like this may exist, but almost no details except that it may be a thousand or more years after a star trek like era. Would not stop me from entertaining placement of this (these) assets in some other storyline.
    94146.jpg
    Looking very impressive.
    small update, because lately I've been busy outside of this. sticking to it though, so should have more soon...
    94397.jpg
    Nice,
    are you going to put anything in those window areas?
    Nice,
    are you going to put anything in those window areas?

Thanks!
    Yep, I'm getting to the interior of the habitat ring.

Landscape design not my strong point, every so often (as with most of the work I do) I have detailed images of the completed design flash in my head. What I'm seeing is a curvilinear mixture of concrete, steel-ish, foliage and water, all compound curves and circles, with population and structure density increasing towards the armature sections.
    OMG! March! Going to have to post updates soon. Been busy with work and life, it happens.
  • DavidChipmanDavidChipman171 Posts: 0Member
    Can we see a render, and not just a modelling screen-cap? Thanks.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Pretty sweet! I like the complexity and elegance...

I, too, would like to see a render. In some kinda cool background above earth's atmosphere! :)
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Nice work, love it.