Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DBattlestar Olympia

BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This is the first half-way decent ship I've built.
She's supposed to be more advanced the Galactica, but a little less so than Pegasus.

As you can see she's far from finished, I still need to:
-build turrets
-add plating
-detail flight decks
-texture
-lots of little things

without further ado...
olympia1s.jpg
pods out

olympia2.jpg
pods in

olympia3.jpg
On the prowl

olympia5.jpg]
engines and Flight pod

olympiacompare.jpg
Olympia and Coxxan's Galactica side by side.

Any critiques? Comments? something that looks wrong to you?
89241.jpg
Post edited by Borkless on

• manwiththegunmanwiththegun171 Posts: 0Member
    I love the larger forward section. It has a "If I can't shoot you down, I'm gonna ram my ship down you teeth" feel to it.. and with those engines I bet she is fast and maneuverable.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks. I never thought Galactica looked really mean.
    This is my attempt to make a mean looking Battlestar.
    UPDATE: here's on of the main turrets semi-finished.
    olympiaguns.jpg
    I haven't been able to find any references for the interior of the gun-director pod thingy, so I'll probably just add a few widgets and sync their rotation to the main guns.

EDIT: I just finished Daybreak part II. Looks like there are two gunners in that blister. This seems like a needlessly dangerous set-up so I will probably be sticking with my original plan to put some cameras in there. What do you think?
    UPDATE: finished the plating
    Dorsal View:
    Olympia_Dorsal_Pating.jpg
    Ventral:
    Olympia_VentralPlating.jpg
    Nameplate:
    Olympia_nameplate.jpg
    A cool shot of the Olympia in the dark:
    Olympia_InTheDark.jpg
  • Kalic-VadekKalic-Vadek0 Posts: 0Member
    That is Hawt.
    Another Update:
    Finished the Gun Batteries.
    Dorsal Batteries in stowed position. (they raise up out of their alcoves for firing)
    Olympia_dorsal_guns.jpg

Ventral Batteries, also in stowed position:
    Olympia_Ventral_Battery.jpg

The incredible mess of empties I use to animate the guns:
    Olympia_screnshot.jpg

Olympia on the prowl, showing off her new zinc-chromite flight pods. (place holder until i start texturing)
    Olympia_New_Pods.jpg

Also: I'm working on her self-illumination system, which of these do you like the most?
    number 1
    Olympia_Nameplate_test3.jpg
    Or number 2
    Olympia_Nameplate_test1.jpg

Finally, Another comparison with Coxxan's Galactica
    Olympia_Compare2.jpg

Any comments or critiques? (especially critiques though, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong)
    Two last things:
    How do I keep the spotlights from shining through the Armor?
    How do I post a thumbnail?
    If you want to add a Thumbnail, just upload an Attachment to the First post.

I think that's how you do it, never done it before.

Edit: I'd say go with Number two, for the Lighting, it looks more Real Compared to Number one, which looks like the Light soruce is coming from no ware, unlike Number Two, ware you can see the see ware it starts.
  • MajesticMajestic0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, a little like my Solaria class, except older (in the BSG timeframe). Kudos! :)
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Which modeling program do you use? It looks to be Max. If so, you can use exclusion parameters in the light's control panel to tell it not to cast glows on anything but the item you intend.

The only thing I can see that's "wrong" would be the coloring. But you haven't started texturing, so no worries there.
    I use Blender. v4.9 (I fixed the lights as well)
    How are the colors wrong? should they be more blueish?

Also, i think there's already an Olympia or two out there. What do you think about the name Serenada?

EDIT: Or do you mean the interior of the flight pods? I fixed that. (Wow this picture is pretty dark)
    Olympia_OnTheProwl.jpg
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Well, yeah. The colors seem too dark and one-toned for BSG. Look at Galactica and Pegasus for color comparisons. Both include blue tones as well as red. The gray areas are actually few and far between. Certainly, Olympia is a vessel more geared to war, but it should probably still follow the color scheme, should it not?
    good point. I was going to add some colored stripes, but:
    A) I'm not done yet
    B) I'm not very good at texturing, the only program I know how to use is MS Paint.
    UPDATE:
    The new Flight pod texture (With two of Coxxan's MkVIIs on final approch)
    Olympia_Vipers_On_Final.jpg

The result of mis-clicking in the materials window. Look kinda cool don't it;)
    Olympia_red.jpg

And Finally, Backstory time. (Tell me if she's to much of a super-ship)

Serenata Class Battlestar

Designed at the end of the First Cylon war, the Serenata class represented a major shift in Colonial military doctrine. Earlier Battlestars like the Jupiter class ships such as Galactica or Columbia were designed mainly to hold the line against the Cylon invasion.

However, the Colonial government felt it was time to go on the offensive. That, combined with the fears of a Cylon super-weapon that lead to Operation Raptor Talon, lead them to issue a call for a A“super-Battlestar,A”giving designers a blank check to build the best warship possible.

The winning design, the Serenata class, is widely considered to be tonne-for-tonne the best Battlestar ever built. They were also a fundamentally different beast. While the Jupiter class were basically aircraft carriers with the ability to support their Vipers, the designers of the Serenata looked backwards to the age of big-gun battleships. The Serenata class was designed to slug it out using heavy guns, their Vipers merely keeping Cylon Raiders from causing mischief.

To serve this end, designers fitted the Serenata class with the biggest main battery ever designed. 36 twin turrets. Nearly double that of Galactica, and slightly bigger than that of Pegasus.

To fulfill their role as fast-attack ships, the Serenatas were given a complement of seven massive engines, each putting out as much power as an entire Valkyrie class, giving them incredible acceleration and maneuverability for a ship that size.

Unfortunately, with the armistice these ship fell victim to Politics. With no more looming threat, the Colonial government could no longer justify these Battlestar's huge cost. Their enormous, one piece hulls, built of armor-grade steel, were massively labor intensive. Their engines' fuel consumption was simply monumental (roughly double a Mercury class). The newer Mercury class, while not as powerful on a per-ship basis, were cheaper to build and operate (Thus, the fleet has more of them).

Furthermore, with most of their internal volume taken up by ammo magazines for their main batteries or fuel tankage, it was nearly impossible to modernize their avionics.

This inability to mount more then the most basic C3 gear prevented them from being used as flagships, and thus being under an Admiral with abundant political clout.
    For these reasons only three Serenata class Battlestars were ever built; the Serenata the Olympia and the Phoenix. The last of which was cannibalized for parts to finish the other two.

While the Serenata class was short lived, they featured many design innovations. Some of which (A“upside downA” auxiliary landing bays, engine arrangement) were carried over to the newer designs, and some (monolithic hull, gun-based armament) that are unique to this class.

At the beginning of the Second Cylon War Serenata was in drydock following an explosion during refueling, leaving the Olympia as the sole Serenta class Battlestar in system.
    Here's my most recent render.
    wallpaper.jpg

A better shot of her red "war paint"
    Dorsal_2.jpg

the result of a mistake while texturing
    Olympia_doubleseal.jpg

My main reference
    Scan10029.jpg

Any comments?
    also, anyone know any good texturing tutorials for Blender? I googled it bu didn't find anything good.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Try youtubin if google failed
    i actually know how to unwrap and such. I can't make the actual textures. know anything that could help?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Again youtube does wonders
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Honestly, I like the "war paint." It gives your battlestar a unique look. Your ship history immediately reminded me of the U.S.S. Seawolf (SSN-21) and how it was really expensive, so the Navy went with the cheaper Virginia-class submarine.
    Cool. I hadn't realised that.

Do you think the red paint or the twin colonial seals looks cooler?
    Twin Seals, IMO
    stupid Double post, Why i ourta.
    Minor update:
    ORTHO BLUEPRINTS!
    Pods out ready to attack:
    ortho1.jpg

Pods in, jump mode:
    ortho2.jpg

as you can see the engine glow leaves somthing to be desired. I'm working on that.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Do you think the red paint or the twin colonial seals looks cooler?

I think the red paint looked cooler, personally. It gave it an aggressive appearance to me.
    Mikey-B wrote: »
    I think the red paint looked cooler, personally. It gave it an aggressive appearance to me.

Honestly, i think my paint looks cooler. And seeing as it's my ship I'm going with twin seals ;)
    But seriously, lots of BSG ships of red striping, I wanted something different.

here's some minor updates:
    orthosheet_perspective_podsin.jpg
    orthosheet_perspective.jpg

Here's the first draft of her VLS racks.
    4-27-11_OlympiaLaunchers.jpg

On another note, anyone know any good non-render intensive ways to do engine glow? I searched Google and youtube and found nothing.

as always comments and critiques are welcome.
    yet more updates:
    a beauty shot:
    5-2-10beautyshot.jpg

The new detailing around the flight pods (those boxes will become hatches between the flighpods and hull):
    5-2-10fpodlocks.jpg

her new Bow thrusters:
    5-2-10bowthrusters.jpg

ditto for the aft thrusters:
    5-2-10aftthrusters.jpg

my new engine glow (done wholly in blender, the exhausts are shadeless meshes with gradient textures)
    5-2-10engineglow.jpg

some more generic bow detailing:
    5-2-11detailing.jpg

and finally, my attempt at artistic composition:
    5-2-10allalone.jpg

As always, Critique and comment.
  • FalinFalin0 Posts: 0Member
    needs some light, can't see a thing.
  • BrianSzepBrianSzep187 Posts: 115Member
    Hi there,

Looks good. For engine glow check out using render layers and the node compositor.

Basically, you would separate the inside back panel of the engine and apply the nodes to that plane to get your glow.

Do a search I am sure you'll find a tutorial.

Also, turn on A.O. will add a bit of light and add some dirt to your renders.

HTH,

-Brian
    BrianSzep wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looks good. For engine glow check out using render layers and the node compositor.

Basically, you would separate the inside back panel of the engine and apply the nodes to that plane to get your glow.

Do a search I am sure you'll find a tutorial.

Also, turn on A.O. will add a bit of light and add some dirt to your renders.

HTH,

-Brian

okay, thanks.
    Also, about the lighting (or lack thereof) my computers weird
    that way, it looks fine on my screen.
  • blackbird17blackbird170 Posts: 0Member
    Man this is one of the best looking Battlestar that Ive seen on SFM, keep up the good work!!!
    Man this is one of the best looking Battlestar that Ive seen on SFM, keep up the good work!!!

wow, that means a lot, I've seem some really cool Battlestars on this site.
    On an unlreated note, anyone know where I can download a low-poly Cylon Basestar? I googled but couldn't find any
    thanks.