Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

External TutorialWindows via boolean cut (max) The MadFish Way. . .

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
edited February 2007 in Tutorials #1
Windows via Boolean Cut The Madfish Method
windowtytle.png

Tutorials The madFish Way!
Back up see url

EDIT use this url now temp location!
http://madkoifish.wordpress.com/
look under tutorials.

HTTP tutorials are back online!
http://madfishway.rr.nu
blog will serve as back up. But I recommend the http since it is the original formatting.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.

• ZardozZardoz2 Posts: 0Member
    WOW!!! Nice Tut!!!
    A thing .... the windows can be created using shapemerge and using a shape, instead of a polymesh object. It get the same result.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9711 Posts: 5,302Member
    I found shapemerge to go whacky with odd shaped surfaces, bumping cut surfaces out of alignment.
  • NeoHunterNeoHunter0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi.

Just a question. How did you put in those maps of the corridors?
    They are just applied like any material. The basic help files in max should show how to add a texture to the matrials.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    They are just applied like any material. The basic help files in max should show how to add a texture to the matrials.
    I meant as in did you place the map on to the window itself or is there another plane behind the windows which you then apply the map onto?
    Oh, its a L shaped plane behind the windows with a prerendered wall and floor mapped onto them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Finally someone got the guts to make a tut on windows that make sense!

you have my thanks!
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Nice tutorial MKF, just wondering tho: do you place allyour windows maunually or do you have a tool for that? I can image that pasting like 50 to 100 windows can be very boring and irritating at one point...
    Depends on what your doing. Ill use arrange or path clone at times. Then remove the window cutters I dont want.

You could aslo clone groups, like rabbits 1 becomes 2 which become 4 and so on :p BUt making creative use of arrange is the best method.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Hmm. Right. Now I'll have to find out how to translate that to SketchUp -_-'

Because I copy-pasted one window the last time and then selected the two (grouping-like, I guess) and then pasted it alongside the rim of my hull. Clawhammer mentioned something about being able to copy an object past a line but I don't know if SketchUp supports that :/
    NeoHunter wrote: »
    I meant as in did you place the map on to the window itself or is there another plane behind the windows which you then apply the map onto?
    Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

You have now inspired me to try and experiment creating nice windows! :D
    BorgMan wrote: »
    Hmm. Right. Now I'll have to find out how to translate that to SketchUp -_-'

Because I copy-pasted one window the last time and then selected the two (grouping-like, I guess) and then pasted it alongside the rim of my hull. Clawhammer mentioned something about being able to copy an object past a line but I don't know if SketchUp supports that :/
    I wouldnt know, never seen the app. The app should allow group cloning IE selecting more than one object then crtl c ctrl v etc. Least I hope it would :eek:
  • MetalElfMetalElf331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the tutorial! I've always had problems cutting shapes. I think this will help out tons!
  • NickBNickB0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks - that wa a very clear tutorial which has taught me a couple of nifty things.

Like working in Editable Poly, not Editable Mesh. Learn something every day...
  • scaramangascaramanga331 Posts: 0Member
    Question:

Did you go mad while doing this on your starship wip?
    Or is there a cheat to do it fast? :D
    Close to it was more tedious. What I ended up doing was cutting then cleanup then U attached all the loose hundreds of faces as one big set. And since I didnt touch the poly select side of things I was able to inset bevel and extrude a crapload of windows at once. Apply smoothing groups and materials as well. TIP though judge how many you do based on system. Im on a core2 1.8ghz box with a 512mb vcard and doing half of 3 rows of outer saucer windows as a bit um slow. So SAVE often just in case lol. Only other way I can think of to speed things up is scripts
    and well I loath programming. . . . so heh.
  • EBOLIIEBOLII204 Posts: 360Member
    Damn it is like I am a day and dollar to late
    wana see this one too

URL anyone?
    Im rewritting these and looking at pdf for distro. So it wont (I hope) be too long of a wait.
    HTTP is up
    UPDATE 07-31-10
    HTTP tutorials are back online!
    http://madfishway.rr.nu
    blog will serve as back up. But I recommend the http since it is the original formatting.
  • HelotHelot391 Posts: 164Member
    These are very nice. So, are you going to have a chance to restore the others (I assume you had a few others)? Like the fantail tutorial and saucer tricks?

I know... beggars can't be choosers :D

Still nice to see these.