Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSome Halo Reach stuff I must finish

Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2011 in Work in Progress #1
Hello all, here is a character I started a year ago. That's right, about six or eight months before Halo Reach was released. This was for a commissioned job that got cancelled. I was supposed to model the 5 members of the nobel team in high details. Sounds like a lot of work but in fact all the characters shared the same base armor, even the girl and the big dude. Only the helmets and the shoulder pads were different. I had started with Jorge, the big guy http://www.google.com/images?q=halo+reach+jorge , because he was the one with the most extra parts, so I wanted to get that one out of the way first. I was provided with game models for proportions, style guides, and a bunch of references, more than I needed actually.

This is what I had done before the plug was pulled. I never signed any NDA, but I prefered waiting for the game to be out before showing those, I did not want to mess with bungie or microsoft's layers.

jorge-helmet-03.jpg

jorge-helmet-04.jpg

jorge-helmet-05.jpg

jorge-helmet-06.jpg

jorge-07.jpg

jorge-08.jpg

jorge-09.jpg

jorge-10.jpg

jorge-11.jpg

jorge-12.jpg

jorge-13.jpg

jorge-14.jpg

jorge-15.jpg

jorge-16.jpg

jorge-17.jpg

jorge-18.jpg

jorge-19.jpg

jorge-20.jpg

jorge-21.jpg

jorge-22.jpg

noble6-01.jpg

noble6-02.jpg

noble6-03.jpg

noble6-04.jpg

noble6-05.jpg

noble6-06.jpg

noble6-07.jpg

noble6-08.jpg

Of course the reason I'm starting a WIP now is because I want to finish it, at least this character, we'll see for the others (I like the guy with a skull on his visor). I'm going to get back to it this week end. I modeled these parts in 3dsmax 9 but I'm probably going to switch to maya because I have been working with it everyday for the past six months and I can no longer navigate in 3dsmax viewport (and also because the graphite tools interface sucks compared to the original polyboost, I want it back!).

Still a ****load of work to do as you can see. Probably going to take a while. If I don't finish it, I'm sure someone like Binkerman would
86673.jpg
Post edited by Dr. Jones on
Tagged:

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    looks really good
  • Dr LeeDr Lee2 Posts: 0Member
    As a fan of the Halo series.... all i can say is WHOA....

*Subscribes* Cannot wait to see how this guy turns out....
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you guys. I also found those pictures of masterchief's armor I had started

ms03.jpg

ms04.jpg

I'll probably never finish it (not enough done to make me want to) so here is a link to the model http://soletme.free.fr/jorge/masterchief.rar , it's a max 2011 scene, but I still have it in max 9 format if necessary or I can export it to obj. It says Brazil renderer is missing when you open it but I don't know why, I set the renderer back to default.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Both are looking really cool :thumb: The flow of the topology seems perfect to me. I must admit that I'm not a fan of Halo designs but a good model is a good model :D
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    Please paint him Blue and call him 'Caboose'.
    killakanz wrote: »
    Please paint him Blue and call him 'Caboose'.

I second that! :D
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    its made with max, and it has a zbrush made feel.

pretty good ;)
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    wow very nice work, do you have any schematics of the helmet at all? Always wanted to make a nice helmet but have failed in all past attempts
    I don't have any schematic but I had the low polygon in-game model which is even better to start. Then to model the details I used some high rez renders of the textured model (I did not have the textures with the model).

Nope, no zbrush used here, I'm more of a mudbox user when it comes to sculpting. I actually used it a bit to addd bullet impacts on the left shoulder pad and I might use it for the undersuit
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Impressive work. When you said comissioned job, was it something official for MS or Bungie, or just a fan?

Also, what approach are you using to model this, primitive slicing and dicing? planes or spline curves/nurbs?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • madmattmadmatt0 Posts: 0Member
    Great details!!!
    Really exciting start, keep to post!!!

Bye
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Oooh another master at work.. <pulls up a chair and gets comfy!>

:)
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Ooh, excellent work! :)
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic work,love Halo Reach.
    Would love to see Carters basic helmet made by you.
    Hope to see more,congrats!
  • Sly AssassinSly Assassin0 Posts: 0Member
    Dr. Jones wrote: »
    I don't have any schematic but I had the low polygon in-game model which is even better to start. Then to model the details I used some high rez renders of the textured model (I did not have the textures with the model).

Do you still have said in game model?
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Good to see you posting again Olivier, ... Top notch work as usual ! :thumb:

Jas
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work.

I would love to see this treatment done to the original Mark V from the first Halo. Ever since Halo 3 they've kept modernizing and retconning that armor to match the Mark VI, and it's always bugged me.
    Thank you all for the kind words. No update yet, I'll work on it this week end (I hope)

Jedi44 > Carter could be done, I have the references. Once I finish the noble 6 armor (sorry don't know the real name) all I need to do is the helmet and a shoulder pad I think. But he is not the first one coming on my list after jorge.

Sly Assassin > Yes I still have the said models but I can't share them, don't want to be responsible for any leak. Even if the game is out now, that **** is still the property of microsoft

USS Mariner > I think the MK V spartan has been modeled in high detailed by Blur studio for the Halo Wars cinematic http://vz2.blur.com/work/detail/halo-wars (again I'm no halo expert, so I can be wrong)
    Who's next then?
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the feedback Doc,man you make Halo come alive,will keep an eye on this thread for sure,way cool.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Dr. Jones wrote: »
    Thank you all for the kind words. No update yet, I'll work on it this week end (I hope)
    USS Mariner > I think the MK V spartan has been modeled in high detailed by Blur studio for the Halo Wars cinematic http://vz2.blur.com/work/detail/halo-wars (again I'm no halo expert, so I can be wrong)

Actually, that's the MK IV suit, while the helmet is the same, the body is much bulkier and thicker then the real MK V one. However, Bungie DID do a full rendering of the MK V suit for Halo Reach and is generally available through google image search. They're also using the Blur/Ensemble MK IV suit in the reprints of the older halo books like Fall of Reach.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/MJOLNIR_Powered_Assault_Armor/Mark_IV#Halo_Wars.2FLegends.2FThe_Fall_of_Reach_.282010_reprint.29

As of Reach, this is what the "canon" MK 5 looks like:
    http://www.halopedian.com/File:VanityMkV.png
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    Huh, their helmet seems to be perfect, for one. It's a shame they keep trying to delete the rest of the armor from history though.
    Nadesico wrote: »
    As of Reach, this is what the "canon" MK 5 looks like:
    http://www.halopedian.com/File:VanityMkV.png
    This look very much like the same armor the noble team wears, except with a spartan helmet and some extra shoulder pads. So I think if I can get this base armor done (I'd say it's about 40% complete), then all the characters said above could be done. Only detail is that making a single helmet is 2 or 3 full days of work depending on the complexity, so don't expect new characters poping out every week.

Anyway, I'm still motivated to work on this tomorrow, it's the first time I'm going to work on a personnal project since april. I'm hesitating between bringing this to maya, or stick to 3dsmax. I miss 3dsmax, but I'm not used to work with it anymore
  • BerkutBerkut1 Posts: 0Member
    this is easily some of the best modelling I've seen in a while, this would look insane when finished, don't give up on it

*also pulls up a chair*
  • metalsnakemetalsnake5 Posts: 0Member
    pulls up 2 chairs and a ice cooler with the beer great work here gotta get comfy :)
  • filipfilip0 Posts: 0Member
    Good work!

I would love to see some more wireframes, if you don't mind.

/Filip
  • HundredHundred268 Posts: 1,021Member
    In the immortal words of the late, great Jame Brown, "Good God!". Man this is fantastic! I just may reinstall Halo later. Great work Dr. Jones. :thumb:
  • brkat02brkat020 Posts: 0Member
    awesome work, I'm trying to build a Jorge costume and would love to get my hands on a good set of reference pics, all I find on google are the same basic pics...
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Brkat, it's a general rule around here to not post on any thread that hasn't been updated or posted in for over a month. It's called necroposting and is frowned upon.