Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DForbidden Planet C-57D Cruiser redesign

deltapaxdeltapax0 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2011 in Work in Progress #1
This is my current project, it's a redesign of the C-57D from "Forbidden Planet." I'm trying to make it look more technologically plausible. The goal is to model the exterior and interior for a comic project.
Exterior1.jpg
Exterior shot, most of the attachments are placeholders at the moment.
Exterior-Below.jpg
Exterior below shot. The legs I imagine I'll have the most difficulty with, as I'm going to want those to open and close and look like they can actually support weight. Here's a shot of my figuring out how I want those to work, although obviously the piston is redonkulously oversized:
LandingLeg2.jpg

Pedastel.jpg
the landing pedestal, which I may turn into a ring of individually articulated piston-legs.
7ftlaserandthrustercluster.jpg
My most recent work involved designing maneuvering thruster mounts and laser turrets.
7ftlaserandthrusterclusters-2.jpg

Interior2.jpg
This is about how much of the ship I'm assuming is habitable- that is, isn't jam packed with equipment and is pressurized- compared with the exterior dimensions.
Interior4.jpg

Upper%20Deck%20Space.jpg
Floorspace in the upper deck.
MainDeck%20Cutin%20Issues%201.jpg
Floorspace in the main deck. Note the purple items are the leg landing wells and missile tubes, and are there for me to determine when I'm going to have to account for them cutting into the main deck.
Lower%20Deck%20Space.jpg
Floorspace on the lower deck.

Finally, here are a few images of my workspace in Carrara.
OverviewMainRoomObjects.jpg

SaucerTopMesh.jpg

SaucerBottomMesh.jpg

MainDeckMesh.jpg
87800.jpg
87801.jpg
Post edited by deltapax on

• JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    If you want it to represent C57D, it needs to be round, not obviously polygonal. Use more segments.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior206 Posts: 813Member
    I think the original C57-D is perfect as is. The sleekness and seamingly simplistic nature of the design was meant to represent "high technology" at its very finest.

You are free to reimagine it as you see fit of course.
  • deltapaxdeltapax0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, it needs to be smoother- Carrara has a function that will double the number of polygons, and in doing so should smooth out the shape, although I noticed when I applied it last that there were some wonky issues making me think I'm going to have to redo the rim. But for my initial modeling I found it easier to work with the lower polycount.
  • Daemon FortuneDaemon Fortune0 Posts: 0Member
    It's shaping up nicely, Delta. Obviously, textures and other refinements will come later but she's shaping up nicely. I should try and dig up my old sketches of an updated C-57D I was working on when I tried with a partner to write a remake of FP. He may still have them, he was the computer modeler and was going to do them in Lightwave, but he moved for work and I don't know if he kept any of the stuff.

But still, you're heading down the right track. Keep working on it and she'll shape up into a fine ship.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Right now it reminds me more to Mechmasters Dalek Battlesaucer...
    Well, the mesh-smooth feature in Carrara wasn't the magic answer I was hoping it was, it kept generating all kinds of weirdness around the holes for the landing legs and missiles and such So I started a second model with a higher poly count, although still probably not high enough but I think zi'll be able to smooth out the edge of this model easier. I also made a few design changes, most notably going frm 4 to 12 smaller insets for the space drive on top and making the thrusters recessed into the hull more, but I still havent come up with a weapon design I fimd more feasible than those ball laser turrets. Considered a Star-trek style phaser stri, but I just didn't feel it was reading enough as a weapon, I want something that's kind of obvious.
    87455.jpg87456.jpg87457.jpg87458.jpg
    I started working on the interior while I ponder how to handle the landing leg ramp. This'll be a pretty significant departure from the original C-57D interior, as my skills aren't that great so I'll probably be going for a simplier, plastic-covered everything Star Trek TNG kind of look. I started on some interior hatches inspired by the local museum submarine (the SS COD) and a minivan's sliding rear doors. All the interfaces will probably be touchscreens.
    As an aside, how do I get a thumbnail image for this post in the main forum view?
    87795.jpg87796.jpg87797.jpg87798.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    SS Cod, eh? Whereabouts around Cleveland are you from?

OT, I never really watched Forbidden Planet, but I've enjoyed watching you progress through this. Good luck with that interior. :thumb:
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    The thread thumbnail is the first attachment in the first post of the thread.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Oops, I was gonna answer that, but got sidetracked. :p