Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

PracticalBlood Angels Army Project (pic carpet bombing ftw!)

• MephMeph331 Posts: 0Member
    It's funny how little secondary colour I feel like adding to the model. I think that all details have been prepped to start with the weathering. Stuff like the grilles on the back, the landing gear and other similar details will get their colour during weathering, no need to over-define them now.
    The decal sheet has been prepped and will be printed during the week and then there will be some more substantial progress.

At first I wanted to paint the thrusters and engine intakes metallic, but after an experiment with bronze, I decided to go with that. It contrasts nicely and fits in the rest of the models painted so far.

IMG_4776.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Yep, the Paint job works ! ...... You've just got to be careful not to overdo the artwork, as it could be too much .... Personally I think it looks better without the artwork on this one, some areas are best left plain ... I'd go for military style stenciled Numbers in-place of art ...

Jas
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great, Meph. I can't wait for the weathering. That's always my favorite part of your models, because you always do a fantastic job and they wind up looking amazing. :D
    Yeah, that was actually my first gut feeling as well. Just put some nice fat letters and or numbers on there. Aliens Dropship-style. But then it occurred to me that that might not be very 40-like, where Blood Angels are meant to me one of the most artisan-like chapters there is and so I felt it needed some more detailed artsy stuff on that large plate.
    To be brutally honest, I'm not 100% happy with the quick artwork I cobbled together but I don't want to spend too much time either on making something for just a 6cm x 2cm plate. A mate of mine is going to laser-print out the decals. I'll prep them, cut them out and see how it looks with a dry-fit. In worst case I can still look for an alternative.

The whole thing has been one big dilemma between choosing some pre-made iconic and recognizable 40K art, or something more sci-fi warrior-monk-artisan artwork that sits right in the 40K-verse, with a side thought of just purely militaristic markings.

But in any case... Cheers EG! I'm looking forward to the weathering as well. The dirty work! I can't wait to pout some directional smears and streak on that puppy. :D
  • DCBDCB331 Posts: 0Member
    Military aircraft have a long tradition of art in addition to more functional markings. The Aliens dropship is no exception:

0Inh0.jpg

Even if you don't plumb for the big mural, that doesn't mean you can't still have some smaller artwork on her. Nose art, tail art, weapons, loading ramp, etc.
    True, true. But I'm afraid I'm also a bit obliged to put something large on those plates that preferably cover them up as much as possible. I had to use such large plates to cover the huge gap of joining the side pieces. The idea to put some large decal there was born at that moment and thus I left the area undetailed and I didn't care how the ink pooled up along the bottom edge.

Ah well, I'm not too hopeless about the decals and I'm kinda curious how it will look like in real print.
    But... of course.. if any of you happen to have an epiphany with some concrete alternative, don't hold back. I welcome all and any ideas. ;)
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Really nice work.
    Meph wrote: »
    I welcome all and any ideas. ;)
    My first thought would be, screw Sanguinius and his poncy mates - get some Adepta Sororitas pinups on there.
    You mean like this? :D
    255003_1304943876_large.jpg
    But instead of some roller skates, she'd have to be holding a lasgun or bolter. ^^
    First I thought this would be best suited on the super-heavy tank I've got lying unassembled in a box somewhere. But with Forgeworld's Stormeagle coming out in the near future...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Home/Space_Marine_Stormeagle.html
    Steagle1.4.jpg
    94566.jpg94567.jpg
    yeah the girl would work. But as you said with a gun.
    You mean like this? :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=96120&d=1333446233&thumb=1

HMNGX.gif
    ^:D

I was going through some boxes and to my big surprise I rediscovered these. Oldskool vehicles ftw! There are some of the first vehicles I ever painted, with Rhino #7 being the absolute first. I guess that puts these vehicles somewhere between 20-23 years ago. :D It's very funny to see my early attempts at weathering and infatuation with etched brass details and early attempts at conversions. I'm feeling tempted to give at least some of those vehicles and update, and maybe even finish that razorback after twenty years, lol.

So, without further ado, some vehicles from the depth of time. Enjoy!
    IMG_4790.JPG

Oh and look what gradually evolved on my table over past week. The honour guard squad for the new army. Right now they just received a wash of thinned oil paints and they're ready for some cleanup and finishing. it's amazing what one can do on a week of being home on doctor's orders. :D
    Comments and crits are welcome as always. And yes, there are some mold lines that were glanced over by laziness and lack of zoom-o-vision. ^^

IMG_4809.JPG
    Nice stuff.
    Those Rhino has still better than anything I could do.
    Those vehicles are pretty sweet, especially if you were 11-14 when you painted them. Sure, you do better work now, but you've obviously always had a talent for this kind of work. :D

The honor guard squad looks sweet too. :D
    Thanks guys!
    Well, before I discovered 40K I did do some more 'regular' modeling of airplanes and tanks. But just ye basic stuff with Humbrol enamel paints. So I did have some basic skills of glueing tiny plastic parts and applying a somewhat even coat of paint.

In the meantime... Just some minor cleanups needed here and there, and basing.

IMG_4820.JPG
    "Regular" modeling seems so mundane compared to this stuff. ;) I've never been the biggest 40K fan, (never really got into it) but I do love the style of the robots, vehicles, etc. from it. Plus, I love to see some great modeling and your work definitely qualifies, especially what you do with the painting.
    Yeah, sci-fi is so much more fun, more leeway and room for creativity I feel.

Here's some progress on the Death Company. The photos are not that good as I was losing daylight very fast and the veranda light didn't offer much solace either. I'll take some better ones soon but here they are. The marines just had their oil paint wash but they need some cleaning up. Some red area's I'll go over with a fine cotton stick damp with turpentine and polish it up here and there.
    I went with the same limited palette as the rest of the marines and it suits them nicely I feel. Bronze, metal/silver, green for detailing, muted grey-green for the loincloth.

IMG_4843.JPG
    Those are awesome. :D
    ^ agreed.
    Cheers guys!

As someone on another forum was interested how I did the black and the red metallic, here's the how-to.

[RANT] First I mixed up some paint alchemy-style, I don't know the exact ratio's anymore but it's some bronze, some metallics like Boltgun Metal and some silver, some dark red, some Blood Red. I thinned it with red wash and red ink as well as some thinner. I think I also added some Vallejo's metallic medium. It was really just trial and error, slowly mixing little bits together to get the right tone of red metallic and then adjusting again because as soon as you add non-metallic paint you tend to matte it down quickly, which you want to avoid.
    I highlighted by taking some of the base mix apart and adding some silver. In this case, you lose the red shade very quickly and it turns pinkish. I balanced that with a wash or two of thinned red ink, highlighting again and re-shading with some very thinned red ink with a little bit of yellow/sepia ink.
    At one point, I also applied a glaze which I made by mixing Blood Red with a lot of water. Using thinner to make washes and glazes with add a milky sheen and kill the transparency. Actually, best water to add is demineralized water, as used for ironing (take ye basic unflavoured kind of course). Dead-cheap and the lack of calcium is better for the airbrush as well keeping your home-brewed paint mixes in little pots for later.

I'm sure I'll be able to streamline the mixing and workflow in the future as I intend to expand the DC but it was fun experimenting with it. I found out very early on that if you add too much light gold to lighten the red metallic it tends to go back to a bronze-ish colour very fast, and with just silver you go to the pink side immediately. I really wanted to keep it as red as possible, hence the experimenting.

I used an airbrush to spray on the washes to get a more even coating. And all washes were also heavily thinned with water, easily 1:5.
    So this was done after I made the red highlights for the black. I drybrushed black with a little bit of red and maroon brown, then with more red added, the some orange and finally with almost pure 'Ice Yellow', which is a brilliant colour btw for many a colour. Between every consecutive lighter drybrush, I sprayed the model with black ink, mixed with red ink, thinned with water, roughly at 3:1:4.
    the reason I did it like that was to blend in the highlights with the black, emphasize the red tint, but try to preserve the 'lightness' of the highlights. Using unthinned inks would darken the colours way too much and obscure the underlying tints. Layering it up like this allows to give tint and depth to a dark colour without negating the added colours too much. the aim was to get a really deep black with a red sheen, and not a dark brownish-red with black shading.

The spray on washes for the metallic red were done over the entire model to this helped to enhance the reddish tint on the black. Although I do think I did sneak in one very light drybrush touch-up on the armours edges between the washes.[/RANT]

I now consider them to be finished. The bases will follow at a later stage, as I'm not fond of the act of basing. Tedious...

IMG_4855.JPG
    IMG_4868.JPG

And a high res piccie of the lads together.
    Tadaaa

The pictures are not that great sadly, as the weather is freaky... sunshine, cloudy, rain, sunshine, hail... Sadly the lack of space prevents me from setting up a decent indoor light box.
    The bases will follow at a later stage, as I'm not fond of the act of basing. Tedious...
    Get the flock out.
    rofl :D
    The Sang. guard post-oil paints and ready for final detailing. I wanted to keep them pretty minimalist and statuesque so maybe I'll just paint up some blood drop gems here and there besides the eyes.

IMG_4898.JPG
    A nice contrast to the sea of red that the rest of the army will be.
  • DannageDannage236 Posts: 634Member
    Well, I haven't been here for a long time, judging by the amount of pages you've managed since my last comment. You -have- been busy! ... These all look great. You must move to the UK and then repaint all my armies and displays.
    Cheers DCB, yeah indeed, they're going to add some colour to the red bunch. :D

Welcome back Dannage! :D Well, I could do that, but then I will need some buxomy p.3 girl to be my assistant. Y'know ,to ease the culture shock and such.
    Those last couple batches look awesome. :)
    Cheers mate! :D More pics later today!
    really impressive work mate!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent! If i only had your skill and paitence.....:)